How much different is an amp with a tube pre-amp, but a solid-state power amp vs. an all-tube amp? With just a tube pre-amp, will it get that awesome tube sound, but not have the tube power, or will it just kinda sound like a tube amp?

The reason I ask is because I recently discovered how good tube bass amps sound (I've known for a while how good tube guitar amps sound) and I noticed that Ampeg's all-tube amps (heads, not combos) are extremely expensive, and was wondering if an amp with only a tube pre-amp would sound good enough for the price difference.

Thanks much.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by Mitchell?
It's different for bassists. Plenty of great bass heads are completely solid-state.
Right, I'm not saying there aren't amazing solid-state amps -- I know for a fact there are (mine sounds damn good) -- I'm just saying I like how good all-tube amps sound better, and I was wondering if amps with only tube pre-amps are going to sound anything like all-tube amps.
-Chick Corea
Quote by Darkflame
as far as i know, hybrid amps sound just like solid states
Yeah I've heard that. Thanks for the confirmation
-Chick Corea
Quote by Darkflame

Erm...no.

Not at all.
I don't know about bass, but preamp gain without some poweramp breakup sounds a little bit fizzy. In a good amp it still sounds good, just not as good. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't think you would use much preamp gain with a bass, so it doesn't seem like that would be very useful. And I don't think it would sound any smoother than a solid-state at high volumes. But don't take my word for it.
Quote by Darkflame

Fail. Bass amps are designed COMPLETELY differently. The most important thing for a bassist is headroom and the tube preamp + SS poweramp design is ideal for this. The tube preamp provides warmness to the tone and the the SS poweramp amplifies it very cleanly. Fully tube bass amps are great because they give a natural overdrive which sounds even better on bass than it does on guitar, but this is not the ideal sound for most bassists.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by food1010
How much different is an amp with a tube pre-amp, but a solid-state power amp vs. an all-tube amp? With just a tube pre-amp, will it get that awesome tube sound, but not have the tube power, or will it just kinda sound like a tube amp?

The reason I ask is because I recently discovered how good tube bass amps sound (I've known for a while how good tube guitar amps sound) and I noticed that Ampeg's all-tube amps (heads, not combos) are extremely expensive, and was wondering if an amp with only a tube pre-amp would sound good enough for the price difference.

Thanks much.

no, amps with tube preamp only is stupid, tubes are needed in the power amp, therefore, a ss preamp through a tube power amp will sound close to an all tube amp
As other people have said, bass amps are a bit of a different ballgame, as the tonal aim is not the same as what you'd generally want from a guitar amp. Unfortunately for you, because tube amplification for bass guitars is a bit of a niche compared to tube amplification for guitars, tube bass amps are extremely pricey things. I mean, guitar tube amps can often be pricey too, but at least there's lower-end alternatives. To my knowledge, you get none of this sort of choice with bass amps. If you want your bass amp to be all-valve, then you're going to have to be willing to pay a lot for it.

As for the hybrid ones, if heard great-sound hybrid guitar amps, I see no reason why the bass equivalent should be rubbish. Could you not try one out before you buy?
Hybrid bass amps sound amazing as do the solid states. Also, if you do want an all tube bass amp really bad, look into vintage ones. I have one and it's great.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
In all fairness my bass solid state amp sounded really really good. It was a laney 65w something or other. I had a cheap ibanez bass and they had the same one at college, it was mediocre but when i plugged into my laney it sounded awesome! It dosnt really matter too much about gain because it was designed for clean tones.
It would depend on the amp. If its gonna be one of the many hybrid guitar amps out there its mostly just a gimmick. If your talking about an actual all tube preamp w SS power amp different thing. Also depends on what your gonna be playing, heavy metal where all the distortion comes from the gain knob in the preamp then you might not even notice its a SS power amp. But if you play classic rock where you crank the power amp section then SS might not be the best idea. And having a 100w tube amp where it never goes above 2 on the volume your not really getting much out of the tubes.
an amp gets most of it's tone and gain from the preamp. the power amp's job is to raise the level of the preamp to be loud enough for practical applications. so, hybrid amp will have a different sound all together.

a SS power amp can be useful in certain situations. there are those who hate power amp OD, they like the sound of preamp OD better. SS circuits will stay cleaner longer, so many of these people would find use for a hybrid amp.

Quote by Darkflame

a hybrid amp will NOT sound like a SS. you didn't nail it this time

Quote by Sguit
no, amps with tube preamp only is stupid, tubes are needed in the power amp, therefore, a ss preamp through a tube power amp will sound close to an all tube amp

see my above statement.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.