I'm currently using a Line 6 Spider III 75w amp and I'm using the "Red Twang" amp model (because its modeled after the Fender Twin Reverb, and i'm too poor to afford one ) with the drive all the way up to 10, to get a very slight crunchy, punchy sound. But when I need some more distortion, i can't use any of the other amp models because they either don't have enough distortion, or they don't have the same properties as the "Red Twang" amp model, so I've decided to get a Big Muff for a distortion pedal for when I wil need it, like in solos, choruses, or something, like Jack White does.

But here's the thing... My local music store doesn't carry big brand guitars (like Gibson, Fender, etc. etc.), they carry this brand called Corbin, and I'm thinking they may not carry big brand gear, (although I've seen some Peavey amps there, but I don't know what else they have.) So, could you tell me any distortion pedals that are somewhat like a Big Muff, but are like, less well-known, or something? I'm not looking for a face-melting grunge or metal distortion pedal, just something that keeps the original tone but pushes the distortion over the edge.

I think I've seen some Boss pedals there, i'm not for sure though. But any help would be great, thanks!
A Big Muff has a sound of its own, it's not really going to retain the amp's sound.

If you want something transparent you're going to want a Fulltone OCD or something like that.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
A Big Muff has a sound of its own, it's not really going to retain the amp's sound.

If you want something transparent you're going to want a Fulltone OCD or something like that.

A Big Muff still gets some of the sound from there amp though, right? I've never really tried one, but to use Jack White as an example again, It sounds like his tone stays the same when he switches his Big Muff on. I may be wrong though, I guess.
He's using a Spider, I don't think transparency would be good in this case.

Dude, although I hate to say this, you'd be better off just saving your money.

EDIT: The Big Muff has a very distinctive tone, and when it's on, it's pretty much all there is to your tone.
Last edited by Mitchell? at Jul 5, 2009,
ok, first off, the amp will sound like a dinosaur in a cave with any pedal at all in front of it, but if you want something to boost, use a clean boost, or a transparent pedal, but not something like the Muff...
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by poipoi
ok, first off, the amp will sound like a dinosaur in a cave with any pedal at all in front of it, but if you want something to boost, use a clean boost, or a transparent pedal, but not something like the Muff...

Alright... I guess I'll wait for the Big Muff once I actually get that Fender Twin Reverb lol
Quote by Mitchell?
He's using a Spider, I don't think transparency would be good in this case.

Whaat?

You mean you DON't like that sexy natural tone of the Spider?!
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Alright... I guess I'll wait for the Big Muff once I actually get that Fender Twin Reverb lol

It's very sexy and totally worth it.
Never throw any pedals in front of a modeller. It'd just sound worse. In the case of the Spider, it will go from sounding bad to absolutely beyond craptastic.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
O lordy, please don't buy a pedal for that amp. I can only imagine what a distortion pedal going into a spider with the gain maxed could sound like.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not