I posted a while ago saying I'd found an LP shape guitar in an antique store. I've managed to get back there and have a proper look at it now. It turns out its a Challenge guitar, a brand I've never heard of and that I can't find any details on.

The guitar looks in pretty good condition, excluding the strings (which are about 15 years old) and the pickups. Also it needs a new covering on the wiring at the back (but that looks like 5 minutes work witha sharp knife and a bit of plastic)

Its on sale for AU$85. Timber body, LP shape, made by Challenge. From the 70's. Should I buy it?
GEAR:

Orange Crush 15R Amp

Chelsea - Epiphone LP Jr - sunburst

Isabel - Antonio Lorac Classical

Grace - 1970s Challenge LP Imitation - Timber finish (only cost me AU$85)

and
a capo with...
A BOTTLE OPENER!!
You can't really complain at that price
I've spent that much money on impulse on completely useless gubbins before
ohai little sig.
I'd buy it. Can't see why not, it's only $85. What could go wrong? haha
That's pretty sweet for the price. I found an old lp copy a while back at a pawn shop for $95usd and it turned out to be a pretty decent purchase with a little bit of setup and of course new strings.
Even if its unplayable the timber body looks awesome. So I'll probably be buying it. I'm curious if anyone's heard of the brand before
GEAR:

Orange Crush 15R Amp

and
a capo with...
A BOTTLE OPENER!!
Quote by ColonelHerro
Even if its unplayable the timber body looks awesome. So I'll probably be buying it. I'm curious if anyone's heard of the brand before

You might want to check the stability of the truss rod. I've seen some guitars which were not played for over 10 years, and the neck + truss rod just gave under some minor adjustments.

On the other hand, I've also seen guitars which were not played for about 8 years still have smooth turning truss rods.

Apart from that... I think there's very little that can really royally screw up, short of the guitar body / wood.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
That's only ~$70 USD, guys.
Go for it.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
It's made of timber? What's the point of buying a guitar that you know nothing about and that is made of a pretty terrible tonewood?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
It's made of timber? What's the point of buying a guitar that you know nothing about and that is made of a pretty terrible tonewood?

good guitar to experiment on? Practice painting/sanding guitars
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Timber finish lol. I just bought it :P even with 10 year old strings and rusted pickups it sounds better than my Epi LP Jr, so I'm happy with it. I'm taking it to a music store this arvo to see if anything less obvious needs replacing (The antiques dealer was an awesome guy and said I can return it within the week if I'm unhappy with it, for whatver reason). So I think it was a pretty good move Thanks for the advice, collective members of UG :P
GEAR:

Orange Crush 15R Amp

and
a capo with...
A BOTTLE OPENER!!
Yeah, I've taken a fair few ;D I'll post them as soon as I find the camera cord... Some of them are form before I polished them, and I still need to get some polish for the finish itself (I've only polished the bridge, etc.)
GEAR:

Orange Crush 15R Amp

and
a capo with...
A BOTTLE OPENER!!
Looks like you've got yourself quite a resto job there.
Is it set-neck or bolt on?
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Haha, I thought it was going to be a lot more work than it turned out to be. I've replaced the strings, polished teh bridge and tuning pegs, etc. I thought I'd have to replace the pickups or other hardware, but everything seems to be in working order, and is in fact sounding better than my 1 and a half year old epiphone LP Jr, lol.
I'm ordering some new covers for teh pickups at AU$10 each, to hide some of the rust, and I need to make a new cover for the wiring at the back, and I'm done.

It's bolt-on, btw.
GEAR:

Orange Crush 15R Amp

and
a capo with...
A BOTTLE OPENER!!
I bet those tuners feel wonderful when you turn them... How is the intonation?

Also I have one of those Hercules stands
Have fun with your restoration project (if you decide to do one)! If you do do one, I want to see pictures of the finished product.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
Also I have one of those Hercules stands

Its awesome, but everyone gets confused and tried to rest it on the bottom bit >_<

And yes, the tuning pegs are a bit corroded... I've polished them sionce that photo, but not even Metal Magic could fix them completely. Ah well, it all adds to her charms ;D
GEAR:

Orange Crush 15R Amp

and
a capo with...
A BOTTLE OPENER!!
Quote by ColonelHerro
Its awesome, but everyone gets confused and tried to rest it on the bottom bit >_<

And yes, the tuning pegs are a bit corroded... I've polished them sionce that photo, but not even Metal Magic could fix them completely. Ah well, it all adds to her charms ;D

Tell me about it. I pretty much have to turn into one of those assholes that makes it well known that no one should ever touch his guitar because if they do, they put it on top of the bottom bit, the top doesn't lock, and the damn thing falls out! Kind of defeats the purpose...

On the other hand, I have 2 of the wall mount versions and they work great.
I pretty much have to turn into one of those assholes that makes it well known that no one should ever touch his guitar

I do that with my clasiscal guitar, but mainly to piss off people who piss me off. :P
GEAR:

Orange Crush 15R Amp

and
a capo with...
A BOTTLE OPENER!!