How do you make a good cup of tea?

I have at least 1 cup of tea a day, love a strong cup.
Now obviously a cup that is brewed for longer is stronger, generally 1-2 minutes is good as the tea leaves dissolve with in the hot water.

Earlier today someone was complaining about how when milk is added whilst the teabag was still in the cup, saying "Now it won't brew to its full capacity." and "It ruins the brewing process."

But does it? When I make a cup of tea I put the milk and sugar in whilst I'm waiting for the kettle to boil, then leave the tea bag in for a bit. When brewing you can see the colour doesn't change much, unless you swirl the tea bag with the spoon constantly, press it against the sides etc. Just stirring and leaving doesn't do much. The tea gets a lot darker when you squeeze the tea bag.

And my tea tastes fine. Great infact.

I would of thought from a scientific point of view that the same mass of tea leaves would dissolve whether milk/sugar was added or not.

Some may think "no becaused the sugar dissolves in the tea leaving less space for the tea" But if that were true then after dissolving the tea, the sugar would not dissolve and there would be grains of sugar floating around (or sinking)

Others may say the temperature is significantly reduced by the cold milk, thus less tea is dissolved. But again, I would of thought that almost the same amount of tea is dissolved regardless, and that this minor temperature reduction is not significant enough to change the taste of the tea.

So, the brewing process; Over rated, y/n?
I follow the directions on the back of my Mighty Leaf tea bag packet or on the back of the bag that my Might Leaf loose leaf tea comes in.
temperature does effect the solubility (not sure if thats the correct term) of liquids.

also adding sugar could cause it to not dissolve depending on the temperature and how much tea.

Thats why if you put too much sugar, only some dissolves.

however, i don't drink much tea myself. :P

edit: but i dont see how adding the milk at the same time would make any difference.

milk can dissolve tea im sure.
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
Last edited by GibsonRocker14 at Jul 5, 2009,
I don't know what you just said, but it was awesome!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

I prefer to cover the top of the cup whist it is brewing, it makes it better to me(I am not sure if it matters ). I prefer green teas and a good chai also, so milk is not commen in what I usually drink.
I usually have at least 4 cups of tea per day, milk, no sugar, i can't function without it, and despite kicking back with a couple of glasses of wine tonight, i think i'm gonna go make some now.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I put the bag in a cup of water, wait til it sinks a bit, then microwave it for 45-60 seconds.
I put 3 tsp of sugar and one tsp of honey. I've had 2 cups already and I want more now.
Quote by byob_soad2
I put the bag in a cup of water, wait til it sinks a bit, then microwave it for 45-60 seconds.
I put 3 tsp of sugar and one tsp of honey. I've had 2 cups already and I want more now.

NO KETTLE!? The hell, what a strange man you are.
Quote by byob_soad2

That sounds horrible. I used to go with 2 sugars, now I go with half a teaspoon.

Another thing that is bad is when tea gets cold, and you microwave it to heat it up again. That's some god awful tea.
2 Teabags, about 1 cm of milk in the cup, 1 sugar.
Gear:

• ESP LTD SC 207
  • Washburn X200 PRO E
  • Squier Strat (in bits LOL)
  • Line 6 Toneport ux1
Quote by Ichikurosaki
NO KETTLE!? The hell, what a strange man you are.

It's quick!

Quote by Gaz_m2k5
That sounds horrible. I used to go with 2 sugars, now I go with half a teaspoon.

Another thing that is bad is when tea gets cold, and you microwave it to heat it up again. That's some god awful tea.

I love it! I like things really sweet!
I've never reheated tea though, I drink it right away.
boil water

tea bag in cup

fil cup with boiling water, squeeze tea bag with spoon to get flavouring out

fill with milk stopping just as milk hits the top

stir

1 spoon of sugar is me