Hey all, this is my first post so go easy

I started playing guitar back in September 08 - self-taught, no previous musical interest etc so its been fairly challenging. Anyways without givin you my life story, i own a Yamaha Pacifica 012 which is gettin a bit manky - but it plays fine for what i need it for, which is just a few hours of practice a night (all i can manage atm).

Im really into this guitar s*it, but do you guys think that with only 9/10 months behind me and a guitar that still functions, that its worth an upgrade? I could probably afford to spend £500 on a guitar and maybe a further £200 replacing my crappy amp, which as i understand is a pretty big budget for someone whos still a beginner (im only 17 aswell), but i dont wanna rush into anything...

Thoughts and opinions?? If you think yes then which guitars/amps would you recommend i look at? Cheers..
Quote by barfrog
Hey all, this is my first post so go easy

I started playing guitar back in September 08 - self-taught, no previous musical interest etc so its been fairly challenging. Anyways without givin you my life story, i own a Yamaha Pacifica 012 which is gettin a bit manky - but it plays fine for what i need it for, which is just a few hours of practice a night (all i can manage atm).

Im really into this guitar s*it, but do you guys think that with only 9/10 months behind me and a guitar that still functions, that its worth an upgrade? I could probably afford to spend £500 on a guitar and maybe a further £200 replacing my crappy amp, which as i understand is a pretty big budget for someone whos still a beginner (im only 17 aswell), but i dont wanna rush into anything...

Thoughts and opinions?? If you think yes then which guitars/amps would you recommend i look at? Cheers..

go for an amp first, it really defines your tone much more than your guitar. something like an orange cube or epi valve jr. is what I normally recommend, but what is your style of music mostly?
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
If you are dedicated then it's always time to upgrade your gear! Personally, I would put all your money into getting a quality amp. No matter how nice a guitar is, if you plugged into a beginner amp it won't sound that great. What style of music do you like to play? Are you more concerned with clean sounds or overdriven sounds?
Peavey JSX
Traynor YCV
Fender '68 Bassman
Jetter Gain Stage Red OD
MI Audio Crunch Box
Fulltone Choralflange
Fender Strat
Carvin 7 String
if i were you, i would probably spend the 500 on an amp, and the 200 on a guitar. your probably not going to get a very great amp for 200. but you can get a nice guitar for that much. the amp accounts for the most tone.

so for guitar, i would suggest an Ibanez RG321

amp: an Randall RM20 combo with a module of your choice (refer to this site: http://www.bandslink.com/randall.htm)

it may be a little more than 700 total, but it is a pretty nice setup.

EDIT: idk any UK sites, but here is the amp on MF: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RM20B-15Watt-1x12-Modular-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481260#new

i can't really suggest a module till in know your genre, so...
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jul 5, 2009,
Well thanks for the great advice. As a noob i probz would have automatically spent alot more on a guitar than an amp

I play anything that i can play basically, but in the long run im hoping to branch out into alternative rock - Muse, the Killers etc. To be honest i play a wide range so ill need a versatile setup...
Quote by barfrog
Well thanks for the great advice. As a noob i probz would have automatically spent alot more on a guitar than an amp

ya, i hear you there. when i got my second guitar and amp, i got a Jackson King V and a Line 6 Spider (b/c i was noob and had no idea how much displeasure the amp would bring). I wish i was a part of this forum at that time; b/c then i wouldn't have made that mistake.

Then when i wanted to upgrade the amp, the first thing i saw was a Marshall MG! i still wasn't part of this forum. i'm glad i became a forum member when i did, b/c now i am planning on getting a Randall RM50 or RM80 and maybe a DBZ Guitar. [DBZ stands for Dean B. Zelinsky, NOT dragonball z. i better not see even one post about dragonball z).

so needless to say, this forum has helped me out ALOT in becoming a more knowledgeable musician and guitarist. Thanks UG!

Good luck with your amp search.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Yup i dont wanna f**k up this purchase coz its alot of money really, so yeah again thanks for the advice. Looking at what i aim to play (in my last post), what guitar/amp would you most recommend in my price range??
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
Quote by barfrog
Yup i dont wanna f**k up this purchase coz its alot of money really, so yeah again thanks for the advice. Looking at what i aim to play (in my last post), what guitar/amp would you most recommend in my price range??

if you can get the money, the Randall RM20 is the most versatile amp you can get, imho. if you want a different sound, all you need is a new modules instead of a new amp. that would probably be your best bet. other than that, i'm not really sure; you'll have to ask some of the other, more experienced forum members.

refer to that site i posted to find the perfect module for the tone you want. and remember you can always send it to someone to mod it and make it better. you can go to the randall forum and ask who can mod it for you. i hear Salvation mods is good.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by barfrog
i own a Yamaha Pacifica 012 which is gettin a bit manky - but it plays fine for what i need it for, which is just a few hours of practice a night (all i can manage atm).

Maybe you should spend the money on guitar polish? lol

Anyway, your guitar will effect your tone, and more expensive guitars can have a better tone...but thats not a rule...

...your best bet, i think, is to go into a shop and try out some gear. Ultimately, you want something that will sound how YOU want, when YOU play it. Not how the ad/website says it sounds. I would never buy a guitar or amp without trying it out first.

Oh and dont feel you need to "upgrade" your guitar as you progress. If you have a guitar that feels great, and works fine, stick to it. If it ain't broken, don't fix it

I always like marshal amps, but the smaller ones can tend to sound "fizzy" when the gain is used...but like I said, go and try some for yourself.
Quote by chainsawguitar
Maybe you should spend the money on guitar polish? lol

£700 worth of polish it is then...

Yeah my Pacifica is ok - the actions becoming a bit low and theres a bit of buzz on the low E, but part from that its ok. I just feel it might be holding me back a bit, i dunno.

But ill follow your advice and get down to my local, maybe try a few things out

As for the RM20, it sounds awesome, thanks alot
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

Washburn X50PRO + Line 6 POD X3 would be quite a match for you then...
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Take a look at the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Or the other wattage versions, depending on how loud you wanna go.

But it's a great amp for the price, only $250, and it has so many built in effects and amp settings, it's really like several amps in one. But don't let the presets fool you, it's not digital in any way, the cleans are as good as it gets in this price range and the distortion on it is very smooth and not annoying at all. The only thing it's not really great for is Metal, the distortion's really meant to be light. But seeing as how you have good taste in music, that shouldn't be a problem.

But if you think you need a more expensive amp, go for it. I would highly recommend the Valvetronix though, great for people like you who haven't been playing for long and don't have many effects pedals.

As for the guitar, MIM Strat? It's a very versatile guitar (for everything but metal). But if you do go that route, make sure you try out each individual Strat you want to buy, some MIMs are mediocre at best, but others are steals for the price. You have to try each particular one.

EDIT: Seeing as how you love your Pacifica, you might want to get a different body shape. Maybe you should have a look at an MIM Tele.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Last edited by Vasser at Jul 6, 2009,
For guitar, either the Washburn X50 Pro or the Washburn WI66 Pro are brilliant choices.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Ill take a look at Washburns website then...

Quote by Vasser
Take a look at the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Or the other wattage versions, depending on how loud you wanna go.

But it's a great amp for the price, only $250, and it has so many built in effects and amp settings, it's really like several amps in one. But don't let the presets fool you, it's not digital in any way, the cleans are as good as it gets in this price range and the distortion on it is very smooth and not annoying at all. The only thing it's not really great for is Metal, the distortion's really meant to be light. But seeing as how you have good taste in music, that shouldn't be a problem.

But if you think you need a more expensive amp, go for it. I would highly recommend the Valvetronix though, great for people like you who haven't been playing for long and don't have many effects pedals.

As for the guitar, MIM Strat? It's a very versatile guitar (for everything but metal). But if you do go that route, make sure you try out each individual Strat you want to buy, some MIMs are mediocre at best, but others are steals for the price. You have to try each particular one.

EDIT: Seeing as how you love your Pacifica, you might want to get a different body shape. Maybe you should have a look at an MIM Tele.

Yeah i dont think ill need to go as high as 30 -- a 15 or a 20 should be fine. Its not like im about to start a band, i just need something versatile that i can practise on in my room without disturbing the neighbours. Oh and thanks for the compliment - i do play a bit of metal occasionally, but i could easily go without it. As for the MIM Strat, that sounds perfect, ill be sure to try a few out.

Anyways thanks for the great feedback, if you have any more suggestions, go for it.

And for the record i dont love my Pacifica, theres just a bit of attachment there coz i learnt to play on it
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012

Amps
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Diezel VH4

Quote by barfrog
And for the record i dont love my Pacifica, theres just a bit of attachment there coz i learnt to play on it

thats the same way i felt about my first electric: a fender Bullet Strat. But eventually i sold it. i used the money to buy a module for an MTS amp.
--Einstein

--Einstein