I might be looking to get a floor model guitar, if I can't find a decent used one.

How much less would the floor model cost? ( Of course I'm going to try before I buy)

And if the volume knobs are fallen off, and it's badly abused then I won't buy it, Duh
Quote by Snake™
Yeah, becuase Buckethead is like 6' 8" and his hands are bigger than George Lopez's head.

Quote by Scutchington
"You've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!"
Whats a floor model guitar?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29

The guitars out on the stands, that everybody tests.
Quote by Snake™
Yeah, becuase Buckethead is like 6' 8" and his hands are bigger than George Lopez's head.

Quote by Scutchington
Quote by biga29

A guitar that the store puts out for people to try.

I suppose if it's in good condition you could get it but in my experience most floor models at chain stores aren't taken care of. If it's at a small "mom & pop" store then they'll probably be set up well and such.
Quote by Pac_man0123
A guitar that the store puts out for people to try.

I suppose if it's in good condition you could get it but in my experience most floor models at chain stores aren't taken care of. If it's at a small "mom & pop" store then they'll probably be set up well and such.

How much would be taken off the price?

I've seen the floor models at the nearest Guitar Shop, they look like they're in really good condition. But you never know till you play it, right?
Quote by Snake™

Quote by Scutchington
Quote by LemonBurst
The guitars out on the stands, that everybody tests.

That's what I though, it just seemed to obvious...

So basically, your gonna buy a guitar from a store... not the internet...

NO there should be no price difference, If anything, It will cost more.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
check for dings etc. most shops ive found wont run a floor model into the ground as such but they may have little dents which you can drive them down on price for. but one thing ill say about floor models are that you have to make sure its worth it. because its a 'scratch and dent' guitar the shops will be reluctant to take it back.

like all your gear you should be 100% sold on it, sadly not everyone is at times
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by nav00
check for dings etc. most shops ive found wont run a floor model into the ground as such but they may have little dents which you can drive them down on price for. but one thing ill say about floor models are that you have to make sure its worth it. because its a 'scratch and dent' guitar the shops will be reluctant to take it back.

like all your gear you should be 100% sold on it, sadly not everyone is at times

What % would I be looking at to take off the normal price?

Quote by biga29
That's what I though, it just seemed to obvious...

So basically, your gonna buy a guitar from a store... not the internet...

NO there should be no price difference, If anything, It will cost more.

Uhm, you do know they usually lower the price for floor models.......
Quote by Snake™

Quote by Scutchington
It's kind of hard to say how much you can make them take off the price. It depends on how many/how bad the scratches are as well. On a guitar around 600-1000 i could say expect around 50 bucks max from a store like guitar center and even then they'd be reluctant to do it.
I've always bought floor model guitars, because they're the ones I try. I haven't found a single ding or scratch on the ones I've bought so far, so I haven't gotten a discount. How much of a discount do you get from dings and scratches anyway?
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by LemonBurst

Uhm, you do know they usually lower the price for floor models.......

No, they don't. I work at a music store... If you did that there would be no way to make profit.

If you're talking about buying a used guitar at a music store rather then the internet, The only thing you'll be able to is bargain, and trade-in.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29

No, they don't. I work at a music store... If you did that there would be no way to make profit.

If you're talking about buying a used guitar at a music store rather then the internet, The only thing you'll be able to is bargain, and trade-in.

So you guys don't even lower the price at all if the guitar has scratches and dings?
Quote by Snake™

Quote by Scutchington
Quote by biga29

If the guitar is a floor model and has been used then you cannot legally sell it in "new" condition and therefore you cannot sell it for full price.
some stores will never bargain and sometimes it counts against them because its becoming more apparent of deals people get these days and i know people who would risk buying online than spending upto 30% more in the shop for nothing.

any damage to a guitar you can get money off for it, if the shop wont do it then its their loss and they dont deserve your custom is my oppinion, ive known shops who will blame you for the damage and try to make you buy the guitar which is ridiculous. but i honestly think that you can get abit of money knocked off, just read up on prices online and educate yourself to what a guitar should cost as opposed to what the shop charge
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by Pac_man0123
If the guitar is a floor model and has been used then you cannot legally sell it in "new" condition and therefore you cannot sell it for full price.

You will not get a discount for it being played, only damaged. The legal bull **** mentioned above came out of someone ass because you can sell anything for full price as long as you don't lie and say it's new. There are minimums that you must sell items for , such as MAP, but there is no requirement to discount a played guitar. In fact, most guitars are sold off the wall, so you can try it to buy it, and you will find that they are usually next to perfect.
TS, don't expect getting a discount for an axe off the wall, as it is no big deal at all, rather is the normal way they are sold each day. Feel free to ask for a disount on a scratched or dented one, but minor damage will still most likely not warrant a discount.

BTW: new means never owned before, not never played before. A guitar that is bought and returned shortly can still techically be new, as long as it comes back in the good condition it left in
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

Last edited by spootz at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by biga29

So you work at a music store, and dont know what a floor model is?
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Quote by LemonBurst
So you guys don't even lower the price at all if the guitar has scratches and dings?

That would be the only reason it would be any less then new, but i thought you were asking "how different would the price of a used guitar be at a store then a used guitar on the internet."

Quote by GreenDay0013
So you work at a music store, and dont know what a floor model is?

Saying "Floor model" makes it sound like it's a car... It's not... I guessed that was what he was talking about, I just use normal people words like, "guitars"...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
You guys must have really stubborn sales people when I bought my LP for $1000 I haggled with the guy and got $100 discount just for paying cash and I also got him to throw in a second hard case and a strap lol

Maybe Australian shop owners are easier to haggle?
Quote by AxSilentxLine
You guys must have really stubborn sales people when I bought my LP for $1000 I haggled with the guy and got $100 discount just for paying cash and I also got him to throw in a second hard case and a strap lol

Maybe Australian shop owners are easier to haggle?

I guess it just depends on the sales person and shop?
Quote by Snake™

Quote by Scutchington
Actually, talking about floor models on a guitar forum kind of sounds like talking about guitars....

To me, its used so I'm paying a used price. F shops anyways .. the economy is **** and Craigslist is God. The only reason I need a shop is guitar strings, picks, and testing out equipment to see how I'm gonna go broke this month.
many smaller stores don't have anything but "floor" models. It would cost them waaaay too much to have guitars on hand both in the "shop" and in the back room....
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by Musicman48858
many smaller stores don't have anything but "floor" models. It would cost them waaaay too much to have guitars on hand both in the "shop" and in the back room....

Yeh, that's the way we are. All are stock is on the floor, ready to be tested.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
most floor models are imports so youre not gonna get something super special

but always try and bargain with the salesmen
DBZ Barchetta Eminent FR
DBZ Bolero ST
DBZ Imperial FM
DBZ Venom Matte Black
Dean '79 V
Dean '79 ML
Fender Princeton Chorus
Behringer V-Tone 2/12
Asterope Cables
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Hardware Metal Distortion
Quote by shredmaster12
most floor models are imports so youre not gonna get something super special

Where exactly are you getting that information...?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
I agree that folks should argue for a discount depending on damage to the guitar, but would you really buy a new-in-box guitar that you *haven't* played?

There's lots of variance even in factory-made guitar. Never mind the weak QA from the major players.

Diego
Quote by Musicman48858

The music store I'm going to is a Chain Company all over Canada.
Quote by Snake™

Quote by Scutchington
Quote by LemonBurst
The music store I'm going to is a Chain Company all over Canada.

the same concept still holds.... other than the super cheap guitars, why would they have a whole show room full of tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of music equipment, and then a stock room of it all over again.

If you see a high end guitar on the wall... that's the guitar you're buying, and you're paying the sticker price... because they're not going to have a 3000 dollar guitar that's just for "show"...
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by dgallina
I agree that folks should argue for a discount depending on damage to the guitar, but would you really buy a new-in-box guitar that you *haven't* played?

There's lots of variance even in factory-made guitar. Never mind the weak QA from the major players.

Diego

No, but I would try out the guitar I like from the floor model and then try to get a brand new one from the back. Test that and make sure all electronics work because we know that on either of them the setups are gonna be complete crap.
Even if it is a high end guitar, if its out on show and people have PLAYED it. That is now a USED guitar, why? BECAUSE IT WAS USED. Your not going to get an amazing discount but you can get anywhere from 50 - 150$ off (or more, depends) Or they just throw in a case / picks/ and strings .
I have gotten a £900 mountain bike for £300 because it was a display model for a year, and a £3000 road bike with a 50% discount because that was a display model. Just need to be friends with a shop worker.

People seem to be implying it's not the same for guitars, but it should be, and this would be a logical point to argue on. You would be best going to a shop and haggling to see what price they will give - every shop is different and there is no uniform price to be expected.
Quote by BloodHitman
Even if it is a high end guitar, if its out on show and people have PLAYED it. That is now a USED guitar, why? BECAUSE IT WAS USED. Your not going to get an amazing discount but you can get anywhere from 50 - 150$ off (or more, depends) Or they just throw in a case / picks/ and strings .

You are absolutely and completely wrong... Just because a guitar is tried doesn't mean it's used... A synonym for "used" is "pre-owned"... A guitar that has only been owned buy a dealer is therefore, not a used guitar.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦