Title says all. I'm trying to get better with upright, thought that exercises would help. would exercises that work on electric be appropriate/not kill my hands?
My advice is to get ahold of the Simandl method book and work through it. I bought a copy to work on the fretless bass and it is the definitive exercise and textbook for upright.
On upright, I wouldn't advise using all four. Seriously, the action really necessitates using three so that your ring can act as additional leverage with your pinky.
Get the samandl method book 1. Its a real help.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by tubatom868686
4 fingers on an upright bass is practically unheard of, and sounds like an invitation for tendinitis

It's possible - I do it. I played an upright in a store and the lady there said she's never seen hands like mine in 30 years of playing, but it's doable.

TS, how's your intonation though? No fret markers at all is tough, and it's easy to let your ear "drift" when playing unaccompanied. What I did was put pieces of tape along the side of the fingerboard where the dot markers would be on an unlined fretless (except adapted to an upright's scale, of course). Once you have those markers, see how you play and how many fingers you use. Once you're comfortable, remove the tape on the F on the E string. Then once you get that down, take it off the G on the E string. Then the A, etc. I'm just took the tape off the G note today
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
also with intonation, get your tuner out, and tune up all the strings so there pretty much perfect. Then lets say play a c on the a string and make sure its in tune and remember were your fingers went, learn to refer to that spot whenever you play and it should like and electric match up on all the other strings like f on the d string should be on the samke line as c on the a string. Its all about brain power.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by thefitz
It's possible - I do it. I played an upright in a store and the lady there said she's never seen hands like mine in 30 years of playing, but it's doable.

:

However most people don't have that kind of strength in their hands Fitz. For the most part you are asking for major tendinitis or muscle strain if you try to play with 4 fingers.