Alright, folks! In this thread, once and for all, I want to define in my own words the theory, technique, and practice of music as applied to the guitar. As I would like this to be a collaborative effort, I want to encourage you folks to suggest any topics you would like covered, and critique any areas you view as wanting or unclear. Let's start with something stupidly simple, shall we? How about the concept of scales and modes?

Scale: A scale is collection of notes regardless to any sort of hierarchy or priority regarding the notes established. Scales are defined by the number of notes, from Monotonic scale (one note) to Pantonic scale (A linear field of notes from infinitely low to infinitely high, almost never used in common practice).

Any scale containing more than one note is considered polytonic, the most common of which in western music include pentatonic, hexatonic, diatonic, and optatonic.

A scale is normally expressed by "writing" the notes contained via intervallic (whole or half) or concrete means (C D E, etc..)

In Western music, all significant scales repeat in an identical fashion, regardless of octave. This is not the case, however, when one considers other musical traditions (For example, Indian classical music).

Modality: A mode is a scale in which one note in particular is established as the root note and all other notes are regarded in a hierarchical relationship to the root. Compare to Tonality.

Tonality: In tonal music, a chord (most commonly a triad) is established as the "root" of the scale, and all other harmonic changes are made in relation to this root chord.
Quote by brownsfan456
Anything is possible with music which is sooo awesome

Quote by metal4all

I just learn the formula, apply it to a key, and use said notes on fretboard. Why? Cuz I'm not a pussy.
So... you get to define theory in your own words? And if your own words are wrong, lacking, or misleading.... then what?
I'm not really sure what the point of this is.....
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
All things in music theory already have concrete definitions. I'm not sure why we need to know what you 'think' the terms mean.
this could be nice. but we need a colective effort and some reserved posts :/

the point is, we could take the theory definitions and make them more guitar-oriented than what we could find in a theory book. and also, these definition could be more suitable for new guitar players wanting to know a bit of guitar theory.

however, this needs to be bigger than "kenji's theory thread". we should ask for more help. and it could probably be stickied like "simple theory questions". this could reduce the number of "hey what is a mode?" threads.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Cool. Your definitions conflict with the definitions in use by the rest of the world, but who am I to complain?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
This thread is (as previously stated above) totally pointless. I would much rather go to a credible source for this information. I'm not saying that you're incorrect in your views of theory, BTW.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
@Idnovelo - There's already stickies. Oh hey! There's a "modes" sticky too!! Who'd have thought!
Quote by timeconsumer09
All things in music theory already have concrete definitions. I'm not sure why we need to know what you 'think' the terms mean.

Quote by Archeo Avis
Cool. Your definitions conflict with the definitions in use by the rest of the world, but who am I to complain?

you both are right. we dont need 'his' definitions. we should take the definitins already accepted by everyone in every part of the world and post them, and their ralations to the guitar/bass

EDIT:
Quote by timeconsumer09
@Idnovelo - There's already stickies. Oh hey! There's a "modes" sticky too!! Who'd have thought!

then, disregard my post. i didnt see it. f*ck this thread.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by ldnovelo
...f*ck this thread.

Precisely.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
Some of this looks like you copied it out of a book, and some of it makes little or no sense, what was the point of this thread?
Am I the only one that misread this guy's name as 'Kensai' and I was like what's kensai doing in musician talk?!?!?!?!?!?!

EDIT: And yeah what guitarmunky said
Last edited by Nietsche at Jul 6, 2009,
LOL kenji, your giving advice to room full of advice givers. The result was predictable.
shred is gaudy music