hi, i have recently decided to look into getting a 7 string guitar so i can play songs by bands like korn or mushroomhead ect. At first i thaught a 7 string would mean i could play any song whether its 6 string or 7 but is that actually true? how would i tune a 7 string guitar if i was to play a 6 string song and would it sound right?
A 7-string is a 6-string with one lower string.

You can play both 6 strings and 7 strings songs.
ಠ_ಠ
I believe that 7 stringed guitars are tuned the same but with a 7th string. (B) Obviously, some people tune their guitars differently, but I have seen most 7 strings as:

e
b
G
D
A
E
B
Weekend Warrior
Last edited by ML_Guitar09 at Jul 5, 2009,
if you want to play a six string song...dont use the seventh string?
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Umm. I'll explain it this way.

7 String Standard tuning: BEADGBE. 6 String Standard tuning: EADGBE.

Answer your question?
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Last edited by Nico the Great at Jul 5, 2009,
if you want to play songs with 6 strings on a 7 strings, just don't use the bottom 7th string
I think this thread is taken care of.
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
ya im looking into a 7 string too. the tunning is the same. but does having the lower B string mess you up while playing 6 string chords among other things?
Not if you don't strum the B...? If you're saying it'll be awkward, I can't speak for that, but I imagine you'd get used to it.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Quote by Dark Riff
ya im looking into a 7 string too. the tunning is the same. but does having the lower B string mess you up while playing 6 string chords among other things?

You can always mute/ not play that string. It takes some getting used to, but if you want a 7 string, you take on the extra string to take care of while playing.
Weekend Warrior
You can play most 7-string songs on a 6-string. Just tune to B standard. When you play higher stuff, just move it up a few frets.
just mute the low B string like you would mute any other string you don't want to play
You adjust pretty quickly to having an extra string. I'm playing an eight string and I can go through a six-string song without even noticing the lower strings.
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
wow i got replies faster than expected.

thanks all, i understand. i was hoping it would be as simple as that but saw a post on another forum which really confused me lol.
Last edited by Randomnez at Jul 5, 2009,
are there any particular 7 string that is really good? im after an ibanez..... i have no idea on what model is best though
get a schecter. from what ive seen and played, say you spend $800, you can get the schecter hellraiser c-7.(which is what im lookin at), then with $800 with ibanez you can get a good RG model, but the pick-ups and sustain and options are nothing compared to schecter. only thing is ibanez has a little thinner neck.
BEADGbe
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by Randomnez
are there any particular 7 string that is really good? im after an ibanez..... i have no idea on what model is best though
If you're after an Ibanez, you'll have so many options if you go Used. If you want a FR:

both are awesome trems

Otherwise, look for a Used RG7621, way better than the newer RG7321. Neck feel would be the most obvious ... although the 7321 isn't that bad, for the price, especially if Used.