I am getting ready to purchase my first tube amp... I need something that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg and I'm not worried about getting it used or new. I also need something that can be played in a basement but loud enough to play at a small jam session or outside party of no more than 30 people.

I am looking at the following...

Blues Jr. NOS 15W
Blues Jr. Hot Rod 15W
Traynor Custom Valve YCV20WR
Vox Custom Classic AC15

or do you have any other suggestions....

also I am using pedals (Blues Drive, Wah, and will be purchasing a few more) and I play Blues/Rock
If you want clean headroom you're probably going to want more watts but for your genres all of those work great.

If you need more wattage check out the Peavey Classic 30/50, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, maybe Vox AC30 if you have a bigger budget and Traynor YCV40 or YCV50.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
^ Good idea. The TRaynor YCV50 has Marshall-esque distortions and Fender like cleans. VEry versatile tube amp, and it's more than enough power for jams and small shows.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Are the 30-50 watt amps too much though for someone who will be playing 75% in a basement/garage or bedroom?
I initially wanted the Peavey Classic 30 but after playing it figured it was a little much considering I was playing it at the local music store on 3 (volume) and it was pretty loud.

I have yet to play a Blues Jr. or the Traynors...
Quote by Merc2b
Are the 30-50 watt amps too much though for someone who will be playing 75% in a basement/garage or bedroom?

Personally I don't think so, especially 30.

I have a 50 watt tube amp and it sounds fine at bedroom levels.

I think it adds to when you crank it every so often, it makes you appreciate it more than say if you could crank it everyday.

Thats just me though.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
With the others, consider an Ampeg Jet. Stays clean louder than most drummers but get's nice and gritty at about 8/10 on the volume. Great fuking amp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Yes, I find occasional crankings to be healthy for a growing guitarist.

The blues Jr. is a great amp, but I find that 30W tube is at least necessary for small shows. I still stand by the Traynor.
Gear List:
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by Merc2b
I initially wanted the Peavey Classic 30 but after playing it figured it was a little much considering I was playing it at the local music store on 3 (volume) and it was pretty loud.

I have yet to play a Blues Jr. or the Traynors...

The classic 30 is a very loud amp.

I picked it over the traynor's personally, I liked the tone much more.

Find an old classic 20
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
^ Classic 20s tend to be a bit more expensive than the 30s and the volume difference is probably negligible...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If I go with a Peavey Classic 30 should I find the older model off Craigslist or something?

The model without the new design like being sold at Guitar Center or Musicians Friend.
If you want a lower price than go used for one, if your the kind of person who just can't buy used than get new. I'd personally recommend used.

And I would probably just get the normal Classic 30 and call it good.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
All of those are great suggestions, but they all have very different tone. You're just going to have to test 'em all out.
Quote by Mitchell?
All of those are great suggestions, but they all have very different tone. You're just going to have to test 'em all out.

A valid point, try these amps and any other amps you can try.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Problem is.... I can't find a Traynor anywhere in Ohio to test out!
Look for a few sound clips online at least. There's not much youtube clips, but I'll bet if you look around on here, someone has a recording of it somewhere.
Gear List:
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Well, are there any artist's tones you're after? I mean, if you want a SRV-ish tone, Blues Jr. it up. You want a vintage British Invasion tone? Vox AC15 it up.
I wouldn't use a Blues JR in a band situation without a speaker change, IMO.

I don't like that speaker cranked
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by Mitchell?
Well, are there any artist's tones you're after? I mean, if you want a SRV-ish tone, Blues Jr. it up. You want a vintage British Invasion tone? Vox AC15 it up.

I'm looking for an SRV, Clapton like tone from my amp. I play a lot of blues. In terms of newer artists... Mayer and Bonamassa would be about it.