Hi, I've been considering getting a 10 string perfect bich from b.c rich and noticed that the guitar and most other b.c rich guitars have rockfield mafia pickups...
ok well bottom line, are these any good? I like my metal alot and some clean but the bich has split coil for some cleaner sounds and stuff (I was going to use this guitar with 6 strings not 10 usually) and as this model does not come with EMG's I am just asking if you think these pickups are any good, why b.c rich uses them (Im assuming they are very cheap as no other guitar company uses these pickups) or if im completely wasting my money getting a guitar with these pickups, please help me
Why are you buying a 10 string when you're only going to use 6?

I know very little about Rockfields, apart from the fact that they use big-ass magnet bobbins. Its supposed to project a larger magnetic field, that way, when you bend you won't notice a drop in the volume as your string moves away from the bobbin under in.

Honestly, I think its a load of bull, the magnetic field doesn't just project upwards, it goes sideways too, and that use took away the key selling proposition of the Rockfield pups.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Well i was just thinking of buying this if i could not afford the eclipse standard II, and i think it looks badass using 6 strings instead of the 10 (and i will still have the option to use 10 for chords or wat not later on if say i get a new guitar in the future) and this thing has a cool look, split coils and stuff so i was just asking if these pickups that i have never heard about are like a 'wallmart' pickup, as in they are a bunch of crap when compared to dimarzios, SD's etc.

feel free to comment on the bich 10 too cause i have yet to try it out
Quote by rawd
these pickups that i have never heard about are like a 'wallmart' pickup, as in they are a bunch of crap when compared to dimarzios, SD's etc.

Like I said, I only know them for the oversized magnet bobbins, can't comment on other aspects.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
They're only 10 dollars cheaper than Dimarzios. People do play them, just look at their player list. They can't be that bad.
Well i just compared prices (not sure if that makes a difference) and SD's and Dimarzios are at least 40$ more expensive than the rockfield mafias, giving me the impression that the rockfields are not as good
Where are you from? Here, Dimarzios cost $70 and Rockfield Mafias cost $60. Duncans a little over $70.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Jul 5, 2009,
anyway, prices are not reliable amirite? if anybody has a review, comparison, or whatever between rockfields and bigger pickup companies like SD and Dimarzio, anything to inform me if these are any good or not, plz lemme know, and to some other guy here, alot of the people there are signed by B.C Rich and for some reason they use rockfields alot, or prolly because they just wanted to be signed by anybody or settled for being signed by these guys (i think, idk), also i didn't see many very popular guitarists signed by them except the bassist of disturbed really, but yeah
Quote by rawd
anyway, prices are not reliable amirite? if anybody has a review, comparison, or whatever between rockfields and bigger pickup companies like SD and Dimarzio, anything to inform me if these are any good or not, plz lemme know, and to some other guy here, alot of the people there are signed by B.C Rich and for some reason they use rockfields alot, or prolly because they just wanted to be signed by anybody or settled for being signed by these guys (i think, idk), also i didn't see many very popular guitarists signed by them except the bassist of disturbed really, but yeah

Much as I hate to say this... you can just swap the Rockfields out if you like that particular guitar that much, its not a hard op. Of course not having to do it would be ideal. Just that it seems kinda silly to pass up a guitar you like just cuz of a few pups.

At the end of the day... we can't tell you what it sounds like. You're gona hafta decide if you like them.

One rule when buying new gear: tri it, laik it, bai it.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
zoltan bathory uses them and hes awesome imo
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
I have rockfields in my michael kelly. They're not Mafias but SWCs and they sound pretty nice. I'm not an expert on pickups but they don't sound bad at all to me.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
I haven't been impressed by anything Rockfield put out pickup wise
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by ragingkitty

I know very little about Rockfields, apart from the fact that they use big-ass magnet bobbins. Its supposed to project a larger magnetic field, that way, when you bend you won't notice a drop in the volume as your string moves away from the bobbin under in.

Honestly, I think its a load of bull, the magnetic field doesn't just project upwards, it goes sideways too, and that use took away the key selling proposition of the Rockfield pups.

This. They are really great pickups, probably the best value out there. They seem to be more responsive, work very well with coil splitting and the sustain is crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsUKF9XfrpA

sustain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iOJ0qNF7PU&feature=related

nice single coil sounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUAL4VUosqQ

amazing tone for a cheap bc rich warlock
Wow, nice sustain. lol
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Rockfield Pups are very nice, I prefer the Fatass over the Mafia but the mafia pups perform well. As far as using a ten string with only 6 strung. I know two guitarists that are in local bands that did the same thing. One guy plays a Minarik inferno V the other A BC Rich Bitch they just left out the 4 strings that are strung from the neck to the tuners on the body. I tried both and it really is no different than most 6 string guitars the neck is the same size and thickness.

John
yeah i know, the necks same size and the guitar has many features for its price that make it appealing...
split coil
reverse fader (idk wtf this is lol)
option for 10 strings (oh and i doubt this can work but my friend was wondering if you can try 7 strings on this...i told him the neck size was same as 6 but he said to ask)
relatively cheap (around 860$)

but None of this would matter if it sounded like utter garbage, and yeah i can try to replace the pickups but seeing as i dont live in the states or nowhere near a guitar shop (im buying this online or when i go to the U.S) it would be a bigger issue for me.

And yes that is nice sustain...but maybe he just has a kickass amp or something because most of the b.c rich guitars he tries out he always says he loves so he might be biased, but thanks anyway
Quote by rawd
yeah i know, the necks same size and the guitar has many features for its price that make it appealing...
split coil
reverse fader (idk wtf this is lol)
option for 10 strings (oh and i doubt this can work but my friend was wondering if you can try 7 strings on this...i told him the neck size was same as 6 but he said to ask)
relatively cheap (around 860$)

but None of this would matter if it sounded like utter garbage, and yeah i can try to replace the pickups but seeing as i dont live in the states or nowhere near a guitar shop (im buying this online or when i go to the U.S) it would be a bigger issue for me.

And yes that is nice sustain...but maybe he just has a kickass amp or something because most of the b.c rich guitars he tries out he always says he loves so he might be biased, but thanks anyway

The pups are good trust me but DO NOT buy a guitar without trying it. Take it from experience, even if you need to travel a lot to get to guitar stores you need to do it. Ideally try them a few times.. I bought a guitar i thought i liked in the store then a few weeks later it just wasnt happening and now not many people are buying used guitars with the recession.
Oh and is there a way to like order the guitar to a Gcenter so i can try it out before buying? or if i order it i must buy it no matter what. I doubt the guitar centers in florida have the bich as i've went in them many times trying out guitars and closest i tried was the mockingbird
Quote by ragingkitty

It is basically like a 12 string for an acoustic.

http://www.bcrich.com/lrg_bich_xc10_sm.html
The pickups are pretty sweet, I've played quite a few of their guitars with them. You get some pretty good sustain, great single coil sound, and they have a nice full sound.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Oh and is there a way to like order the guitar to a Gcenter so i can try it out before buying? or if i order it i must buy it no matter what. I doubt the guitar centers in florida have the bich as i've went in them many times trying out guitars and closest i tried was the mockingbird
Quote by rawd

Most places in the UK will refund if you buy 7 10 or 14 days or at least give a credit note. One time i bought a guitar and didnt like it and it was 15 days and they wouldnt do it so i scratched the guitar and said it was damaged

Edit:- coincidence..i just go this email regarding the same subject from a guitar shop

ESP Horizon Blue Aqua is in stock in our Glasgow store. If you contact the Edinburgh store, they might be able to sort that out for you.

If I can help with anything else, please let me know.
Alternatively, if you buy it online, you have 7 days to return the guitar as well.
Last edited by FrogSoup21 at Jul 6, 2009,
yeah, i like the option for a 10 string if i want to use it, and also i think it is kinda unique to use a 10 string guitar with only 6
Quote by FrogSoup21
The pups are good trust me but DO NOT buy a guitar without trying it.

Seconded, especially when it's BC Rich you're dealing with. I've had an NJ series beast which with an unprimed body which sounded as if it was made from balsa wood, a draco which played worse than a bronze series and all because I made the classic mistake of buying off of EBAY!

Don't get me wrong though, these pickups are more than enough if you play Metal and prefer inactives. I've played with a Rockfield Fat Ass (bridge) and a Rockfield mafia (neck) in my WMD for two years now, and they've proven their versatility time and time again.