I dunno if anything relating to drums is anywhere in this forum haha but I just wanted to ask one thing. I have a Mike Portnoy Max Stack cymbal (the 2 cymbals stacked on each other) and its an amazing cymbal to have. My only problem is that I had it for only about a year and it cracked on the top cymbal right around the bend of it. I was just wondering if anybody has this problem too? Because I'm personally REALLY pissed about it. It's a ****in $350 cymbal and it only lasted a year? thats bull****. I'm going to send it into Sabian and get my warranty for it but it's just utterly ridiculous that it broke already. I don't play very hard except for at a gig which is only once every 3 months at the most when it comes to drums at least. Maybe I got a dud or something?
You're probably using improper stick technique. Happens alot.

Also, do what I do and make your own stacks. that way you don't have to buy HH or whatever line cymbals, therefore saving money.

Also, the top cymbal is a china, iirc. those things are thin as hell. That could also be your problem.
Last edited by maXterbat0r at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by maXterbat0r
You're probably using improper stick technique. Happens alot.

Also, do what I do and make your own stacks. that way you don't have to buy HH or whatever line cymbals, therefore saving money.

Also, the top cymbal is a china, iirc. those things are thin as hell. That could also be your problem.

this, dave weckl has a vid on how to hold your stick.
look it up on youtube, it's called a natural evolution.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I've been playing for 6-7 years now and I'm pretty damn sure that the way you hold your stick doesn't determine if your cymbals break. Cymbals break depending on how thick they are, how hard you are hitting them, and how good quality they are (what they're made of of). I just wanted to see if anybody has one and had the same problem as I do.

And if you make your own stack then your just going to be paying the same amount unless you buy crappy quality cymbals in the process. I like top quality things and if I made my own stack I certainly would buy good ones.
Well if it's a china...

A drummer friend of mine breaks china's every few months, and sometimes less.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by anthsband
I've been playing for 6-7 years now and I'm pretty damn sure that the way you hold your stick doesn't determine if your cymbals break. .

and im pretty damn sure your wrong. bad stick technique will damage your cymbals, and **** your wrists up for life. also look up how to hit a cymbal correctly as that can be a problem too. (not saying you can't play, but alot of people hit there cymbals incorrectly.
also don't buy those metal "ahead" sticks, my friend bought those and his sticks never break...too bad his cymbals all cracked...
also try a drummer forum, UG isn't the best place to ask... not alot of them play drums.
but yes, hitting too heavy will break your cymbals, how tight do you keep them?
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by anthsband
Cymbals break depending on how thick they are, how hard you are hitting them, and how good quality they are (what they're made of of). I just wanted to see if anybody has one and had the same problem as I do.

While those things do in fact determine cymbal life, "improper" sticking technique can in fact destroy your cymbal life.

Holding your sticks very tight, not rebounding correctly (or not throwing glancing strokes) will destroy your cymbals. I've been playing for 12 years now, the only cymbals I have broken were a B8 crash and a B8 china in my first year of playing. Now I have everything from Old K's to AA's to an SCDR. No breaks anywhere.

Just letting you know whats up man.
also better stick holding will possibly prolong stick life...

and portney is really overrated... and imo sucks...
Quote by Eliyahu

Quote by TheReverend724

Quote by thanksgiving

Viscara (my band)