Well for a few days, I just don't feel like picking up my guitar. When ever I do I just put it down after 5 minutes.
Quote by Snake™
Yeah, becuase Buckethead is like 6' 8" and his hands are bigger than George Lopez's head.

Quote by Scutchington
"You've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!"
Yea, but thats only if Im really tired
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
It used to happen to me. It still does sometimes. It happens when I am in a rut, then one day, something will just click, and I will have found out somethign that wounds very cool and then I work at it for a while, and it gives me a reason to continue. Also, looking at pictures of some of my idols for some reason gets me really in the mood to play, even when I'm having an off day.

EDIT: Something else I thought I would throw in, I have learned over time when and when not to play guitar. I know when I wikk pick it up and not get any better, or do poorly, and likewise I know when I will pick it up and do well. every time I look at it I think, will I be doing jsutice to this instrument if I pick it up? And if the answer is a no, then, I come back later. Something liek that may help you if you find that you can't stick with it due to frustration or lack of inspiration.
Last edited by nerdor257 at Jul 5, 2009,
It happens to me a lot sometimes, more recently in these 2 months. I'll pick up the guitar and then give-up after a while. Then there are other times when I'll play practically every day and learn entire songs in a few days.

Getting stuck in a rut is quite common when you just don't feel inspired to play sometimes. Then there are some days where I can't wait to get home to play.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Hendrix once said that sometimes you're gonna hate your guitar but you should stick with it and you will not regret it.
Happens to everyone. Its' a product of burnout and/or mental/physical fatigue. Guitar usually isn't a workout when you aren't performing (and I mean true workout not just for your hands) but not having the energy from a long day or attention span to play makes it very difficult.
Quote by ragingkitty
It happens to me a lot sometimes, more recently in these 2 months. I'll pick up the guitar and then give-up after a while. Then there are other times when I'll play practically every day and learn entire songs in a few days.

Getting stuck in a rut is quite common when you just don't feel inspired to play sometimes. Then there are some days where I can't wait to get home to play.

100% This.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Quote by JacobLampman
100% This.

Haha... at least I know I'm not alone.

I did start watching a new anime, K-on, and its got detail and brand name accurate guitars, bass, amps etc and its getting me back to playing.

Sometimes, you need to stop for a bit. Too much of anything is never good. I mean even if you find the girl of your dreams, with a 36-24-36 figure and the sex drive of a runaway train, you can't be banging her day-in day-out. You need to give things some time or slow down.

Similarly, if you need to walk away from your guitar, go do something else. At the worst, just strum some random chords just for the heck of it. Everyone gets burnt out ever now and again.

Unlike what all them artists, not one of them actually spends 24 hours a day with their guitar. Your brain will need some rest and downtime to commit what you're learning into long term memory.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.