What do you think is the least wattage that is necessary? For practice and small gig (college party), that can leave plenty of headroom..?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

200-300w seems to be the general consensus on the forum

but i get away with using my 100w fender just fine
(but dont get it its not very nice )
no sig for joo
Depends on alot of things, 1st though, what kinda band and music are you involved in? If you're in a loud guitar band with a hard hitting drummer you'll probably need a little more than 200-300 watts. Also what kinda cab do you have? For practice and small gigs a 4x10 is pretty good, or a 2x10 with a 1x15 for a combo with highs as well as lows. Ah, I'm gonna stop, I could go on forever...
I play reggae, so I need to be able to have deeeep bass. I don't have a cab, I was gonna try and get a used half stack
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by BASSJFRED
I just bought a peavey 115 max its 75 watts i think and its a 15" speaker and this thing booms.

I hate the max series.
Jeez,I have a VERY loud drummer and a guitar to match it,and I hardly push my 100 watt past 3.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
Jeez,I have a VERY loud drummer and a guitar to match it,and I hardly push my 100 watt past 3.

Maybe you can hear it sat next to it but I doubt the others would, or a mid-sized crowd in a fairly small venue. I'd suggest going more towards 300 watts as then you'd have more headroom. I would suggest my amp, an Ashdown MAG300 however without an extra cabinet it'll only produce around 150 watts, but with an extra cab it'll produce the full 300. A good tip is to unscrew the head from the combo section of the amp and then use it as a separate head unit, it makes it easier to connect the two cabs (I keep meaning to try this but I haven't got round to it yet), it looks easily possible.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
a really good 1x15, like a barefaced and a decent head around 300-400 watts like a hartke lh 500.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
One day I'll do an article on this but the answer is it depends; firstly upon musical issues which people have discussed but also upon the speaker you use. It is not Watts but Decibels you should be thinking of.

To give you some idea I have a 20W practice amp which is fine on my own and with just a guitarist trying things out. With a drummer in practice I can just get away with putting this amp through my very efficient 1x15 but there is no headroom and I need to avoid any bass boost at all and emphasise the middle. This set up doesnt work for even small gigs. I reckon you need to double the sound output for gigs which means an extra 10dB. Unfortunately this means not a doubling of the wattage but a tenfold increase so 200W gives the extra 10dB. Anything above this is a luxury and if you start playing big venues you are better off putting any extra sound out through the PA. You'll get away with 100W but with not much in reserve unless you are playing music that doesn't demand loud bass. If you use low efficiency speakers even 200W may not be enough.
Well,a friend down the street says he can hear the basslines thudding away,so it's not an issue of only me hearing it.But I do have the mids on my parametric E.Q up at an un-holely levels.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.