I just found a great deal on a Peavey XXX head and Carvin 2x12 locally on craigslist.

I have a couple questions though.

Do you think it would be beneficial to swap the powertubes from 6L6's to EL34's? The clips I have heard of it that I really like are of EL34's.

I guess that question kind of answered itself

The Carvin 2x12 has Celestion 70/80 speakers in it which I hear sound like balls. Would UG agree with this statement?

If they are that crappy, how do you think Eminence Man O War's would sound in it? They are pretty similar to GT-75's. The reason I ask is because I have a Man O War in my Valveking Combo that I could use.

If not what are some good speaker options for a nice thick metal tone while still having good cleans and being decent for blues/fusion/rock type stuff.

Thanks for the help.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Just stick with the 6l6's until you hear it for your self. I had KT77's but switched to EL34s.

And if you swap speakers keep in mind that the XXX is insane with top end as it is. Go for some speakers that are geared more toward mids and lows.

Ex. Eminence Swamp Thang'
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Thanks bro. I might grab a MXR 10 Band anyway to tweak it even more.

Am I not remembering correctly that G12T-75/Man O War's are more low endy than V30's?

BTW How do you guys think $650 for the head and cab sound? Sounds like a good deal to me, just making sure I'm not imagining things.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
It's a decent deal. And the MXR 10band is a MUST
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by bjovi400
It's a decent deal. And the MXR 10band is a MUST

Yea, I've been running a POD XT into the power section of my VK for a while, so I haven't really seen a need to get a 10 band.

But whatever head I do get I will get a 10 band for sure.

I have a large budget but I don't really wanna spend more than I need too, so it's a tough choice.

I'm gigging some now but not regularly yet so I don't need an Engl, Framus etc. but I feel that I will be sorry if I get something like a XXX and am not completely happy with it instead of holding out for something a little higher end.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
When I played the XXX, I found it to be EXTREMELY fizzy. Probably the fizziest amp I've ever heard. I think something was very wrong with it though, because I played a JSX and it's probably one of my favorite amps I've played on.

Get a 6505 (NOT a plus version) and run your POD into it for kl33nz.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
When I played the XXX, I found it to be EXTREMELY fizzy. Probably the fizziest amp I've ever heard. I think something was very wrong with it though, because I played a JSX and it's probably one of my favorite amps I've played on.

it's a bit fizzy on the tight speaker dampning, but it sounds like **** on that anyway.

loose fixes that.

i run mine with 6l6's, sounds fine too me, you have to do a little modding to run el34's i think. don't quote me though. i don't think it'd be worth the hassel honestly.

and yes get a 10 band. can't really help you with the speaker issue.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-

Actually I'm not a huge fan of the 6505's I've tried. The lead tone was a bit thin for my taste. Who knows the XXX could be the same, never played one.

Quote by gpderek09
it's a bit fizzy on the tight speaker dampning, but it sounds like **** on that anyway.

loose fixes that.

i run mine with 6l6's, sounds fine too me, you have to do a little modding to run el34's i think. don't quote me though. i don't think it'd be worth the hassel honestly.

and yes get a 10 band. can't really help you with the speaker issue.

I thought there was a bias switch on the XXX?

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
^technically yes, but it doesn't work right.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
^technically yes, but it doesn't work right.
The bias switch works fine, it's the bias test points that don't let you bias properly.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
The bias switch works fine, it's the bias test points that don't let you bias properly.

Good to hear.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Van Noord

i knew it was some issue.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565