I know that he mainly used telecasters when he had his all-star band(with Little Walter, Elgin Evans, Jimmy Rogers, and Otis Span), but what amps did he use? I know he probably used some sorta 20W Tube amp, but what kind?

Also, did Muddy use any other tunings other than Open G for his slide work?
Fender Deluxe, Deluxe Reverb and Super Reverb combos with all knobs on “9”.

Contributing to his tone... he downpicked the bass notes on the lower three strings with a thumb pick, while strumming upwards with bare fingers on the three treble strings for his melody and lead lines, which he frequently executed with a small steel pinky slide.

Stringwise, he used heavy .012-.056 gauge strings on his Tele.
He often played in open G tuning, dropping the low E to D, the A to G, and the high E to D, which reduces the tension off the strings a bit.

Also, legacy of his farming days, like many black guitarists then (John Lee Hooker, Otis Rush, Albert King, Freddy King...), thick callouses on his picking fingers.

When he arrived at Chicago in the 50's, he'd mostly play in open G, legacy of Son House from whom he picked off most of his playing technique.

In the 60's he'd use standard tuning more and more often but almost always with a capo. Except for some old 50's and 60s tunes which he played in open G without a capo, he would more and more play in open G with a capo to tune to A (guitars tuned to open A, D, or dropped D), Bb (for horns), B (for guitars tuned to open E) or even C (piano) , to match the tuning of those who would playing with him.

A lot of the blues cats then didn't have the knowledge or practice to transpose from one key to another so they would negotiate the key.
Last edited by ColdGin at Jul 6, 2009,
1. Old shack;
2. Long length of wire tied to it.

Job done.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
I didn't know he played with Jimmy Rogers and Little Walter, you learn something every day.

Edit: Wait wasn't Jimmy a white guy I'm too lazy too look it up. There's nothing wrong with him being a white guy in a black band, but it's a little odd for those times.
Last edited by cornmancer at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by cornmancer
I didn't know he played with Jimmy Rogers and Little Walter, you learn something every day.

Edit: Wait wasn't Jimmy a white guy I'm too lazy too look it up. There's nothing wrong with him being a white guy in a black band, but it's a little odd for those times.

Meet ... James A. Lane ...

... better known as Mr Jimmy Rogers (1924-1997).
Muddy Waters a five-watt Gibson GA5 with a Les Paul Junior Combo early on, then the same amp and a gibson leas Paul gold top with P90's, he used a fender deluxe and a guild S-200 T-bird with hagstrum trema vibrato later in mid 60's, later it was a telecaster almost always and a fender deluxe or Princeton, but mostly fender amps in the end, but he did record with a variety of other guitars, he liked the lower watt amps and a clean sound, he played in open G and open A a lot and standard tuning here and there, using a single note slide technique, usually with a capo with a lot of hand/wrist vibrato and finger picking lead ins, he used a thumb pick and a finger pick on his middle finger while using the slide on his pinky while picking with the other fingers.
Last edited by uncleknubs at Nov 11, 2016,