Just recently, my 1st string broke from playing with my fingers. I wish to replace my old strings with a set of new ones. I was looking into it and found that metallica and system of a down both use skinny top, heavy bottom (does that mean that the 6th string is thicker or that the 1st string is?) Ernie Ball strings. i believe it is 10-52. Which string gauges would fit the metallica/system of a down playing style? and does skinny top heavy bottom mean that the 6th string is thicker or the 1st string is thicker? any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by RiskyDiablo at Jul 5, 2009,
Skinny top heavy bottom sets usually have heavier wound strings if I'm not mistaken.

There is no right string gauge, just what's comfortable to you. I personally prefer .011s on my strat in standard tuning. I have a really hard time tapping on strings that heavy (not that I ever use tapping) so you might wanna keep that in mind.

best advice I can give you is try many brands and many gauges and see which you prefer.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
metallica and system play in different tunings, and what strings you use doesn't effect what genre of music you play. Black Dahlia Murder plays in E standard while Darkest Hour plays in drop c and in some cases (low) drop a.
Be a man, use razor wire! There's nothing more br00tal than razor wire for the metalz!

I personally use 10s for metal... and they suit me just fine. I found 11s to be to bass heavy. Like Mr Saale mentions, there's no right or wrong, just what suits you the best.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Yeah, what they said. I prefer 10-52's and a play in Drop C and D Standard. What tunings are you playing in? If you are playing in standard/Drop D, DR .09-.50 are probably the best strings for br00talz in standard/drop D. 10-52s are probably the most versatile, though.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
10-52 for leads, 11-52 for rhythms, in standard or Drop C it's a great set, however with Drop C I'd go for 11-52 of lead as well, maybe 12-54 for rhythm. But a standard set of 10's in standard tuning will work (10-48 I think?)
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Personally I'm a 9s guy. It's all up to preference - Stevie Ray Vaughn used 13s and Yngwie Malmsteen uses 8s in E flat.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkies 11 g. They have a nice warm bass sound and they fatten up real nice when there's some distortion.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Raijouta
Personally I'm a 9s guy. It's all up to preference - Stevie Ray Vaughn used 13s and Yngwie Malmsteen uses 8s in E flat.

and his tone still managed to be so thin and nasally

right now i play a combo pack, bottom 3 of a pack of 9s, top 3 from a pack of 10s. i couldnt find any bottom heavy packs, so i got that.

then again, i dont drop tune besides E flat standard, i just love the tone.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
If you play in standard, I say 10's, either standard or skinny-top/heavy-bottom. Some people like 9s. After playing on an acoustic with 13's most of the time, 9's feel disturbingly loose. I also don't do many whole step bends.

Whatever you like, you can keep the same feel when you detune. For every whole step (E to D, D to C, C to Bb, etc) you detune, go up one gauge from whatever you normally use. If there's a half-step, you can either ignore it for decreased tension or go up a gauge for more. So, if you like 10's and want to play in Dd/C#, you can either use 11's or 12's.

If you play drop tunings, ideally you'd want a heavier low E string, by one gauge. That pretty much requires a custom set though.

Quote by conor1148

A Strat is a Strat, no matter how heavy the strings are. (P.S. in before the flames)
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
I'm using .10s on my D standard lead guitar and .11s on my D standard rhythm.
WTLTL 2011
thanks a bunch guys, from what I've read, i think I'm going to go with skinny top heavy bottom because i usually play in standard and at times switch to drop D(standard or just open) or even C sometimes. Can't wait to pick up these strings
Quote by conor1148

right now i play a combo pack, bottom 3 of a pack of 9s, top 3 from a pack of 10s. i couldnt find any bottom heavy packs, so i got that.

then again, i dont drop tune besides E flat standard, i just love the tone.

THIN AND NASALLY!? O_o he had a really thick and full tone off his strat
Whoever said SRV's tone was thin and nasally made a bad call.SRV's actually would go up to .15's occasionally,with a very high action aswell.Yet Hendrix (who plays a similiar kind of stlye) would use .9's or .10's,probably with a low action.All preference,
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.