Alright, I'm certain I'm not the first to attempt this endeavor. Yes, I have nicer guitars, and I understand the crap that Squiers take, et cetera.

However, I want to turn my Squier into something respectable. Many shall laugh, and say, "Okay, buy a Fender". But, I only have a little invested in this Squier anyway, so I figure, what the heck.

First things first: painting the headstock. A lot of Fender superstrats have painted headstocks, and I like the look. Never seen it done with a vintage (fat) style headstock, but we'll see. Plus, this way, nobody will say "Hurr you done got a Squier, you suck". I figure gloss black, and get a black pickguard.

Upgrading pickups/pickguard is a must. The knobs on this thing suck mass. The volume knob is all scratchy (you know what I mean) and the tone knobs might as well be switches, there's hardly any in-between. I'm thinking on an HSS configuration...it's kinda my favorite config.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/sihuevhriblo.html

EDIT: oops, that's not an HSS, but it's something I"m also looking into
EDIT: anybody know any other sites LIKE guitarfetish.com that have similar products?

Graphtech nut is a must. However, I do not have locking tuners...if I have the sweet nut, and non-locking tuners, will the strings still slip on the tuners and go sharp, or should I not worry about it? Locking tuners if necessary
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/reviews?base_pid=360450&page=1&sc=date&so=desc

Oh, another thing: guitarfetish.com seems to be a good place to get budget parts...but they seem kinda sketchy too. Anybody have any experience with their stuff?

Any input welcome, comments, advice, further possible upgrades...awesome.

...maybe I'll post pictures or whatever afterward...not before, you all know what a Squier looks like.
Movin to the groovin
Last edited by FunkyWhiteBoy at Jul 5, 2009,
Many people here can vouch for Guitar Fetish, myself included. Their stuff is extremely good if you're on a budget.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
Many people here can vouch for Guitar Fetish, myself included. Their stuff is extremely good if you're on a budget.

cool, thanks. Yeah, a friend of mine got some humbuckers from them for his SG, they seem pretty cool.

A lot of their descriptions and such are poorly put together, which makes them sound like bad infomercials or something...you probably know what I mean. That's kinda what had me worried. And of course the name, but I got over that.
Movin to the groovin
If you get a graphtech nut find someone that can make an exact cutout for you, because they dont come precut for import strats, they give you instructions to form the nut yourself but you cant get exact percesion with two pices of sandpaper. Also look into the KH_20@21 pickguards and graphtech saddles, they will make such a difference, makes it sound like your playing a guitar thats worth about $1000 instead of 100

EDIT: I've done all the upgrades on a squire affinity standard except the nut becausee of what I described above, and I have to say I'm very impressed. It rivals ESP guitars for sure.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Jul 5, 2009,
Guitarfetish pickups are very good for the price.

Their hardware, not so much.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Quote by FunkyWhiteBoy
where can i find these KH_20@21 pickguards and saddles?

The KH-20 @21 can be found on guitarfettish I think, but you can find them anywhere they sell prewired pickguards. But the KH-20 is a EMG 81 then two single coils and the 21( which I have) is two EMG 81s. Its basicly the setup Kirt Hammit from Metillica uses for his strats. And the graphtech saddles are found at the Graphtech site, I would advise buying it from this site too since they tell you what fits and give you measurements. Plus the saddles are usually the same price everywhere you go.
OH! Yeah, i played a superstrat with that once...it was saweeet, but that's a little expensive for me...looked like 225 or so for the pre-wired...

I may just go with just one humbucker in the bridge position, idk...
Movin to the groovin
Quote by FunkyWhiteBoy
cool, thanks. Yeah, a friend of mine got some humbuckers from them for his SG, they seem pretty cool.

A lot of their descriptions and such are poorly put together, which makes them sound like bad infomercials or something...you probably know what I mean. That's kinda what had me worried. And of course the name, but I got over that.

I know what you mean. They all sound like a bad used car pitch. Their hardware isn't all that great, from what I hear. I've tried their pickups and really enjoyed them.

Yeah, they are expensive, but doing a complete upgrade on a squier takes alot of money, mine cost me about $420, but that was over an entire year. But the more expensive guitar fetish stuff is better, and there are alot of pickups out there that are not all that expensive and will work. Also you dont have to go graphtech saddles, I went that way because I wanted imporved tone and I wanted my trem to not go out of tune.
I'd check out the Tusq saddles off Allparts. They look pretty solid.

I bought a hardtail strat bridge from Guitarfetish once, just to get the saddles. Unfortunately, they were bigger than the saddles on my Squier, so they didn't fit. The quality of the bridge seemed fine, nothing amazing, but fine, and it was cheap.
GuitarFetish is really good for the most part I modded the heck out of my Bullet and now it's a pretty good guitar.
if your thinking of changing out the pickups try a set of fender noisless. i put them in my strat . like night and day.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yeah, they are expensive, but doing a complete upgrade on a squier takes alot of money, mine cost me about $420, but that was over an entire year. But the more expensive guitar fetish stuff is better, and there are alot of pickups out there that are not all that expensive and will work. Also you dont have to go graphtech saddles, I went that way because I wanted imporved tone and I wanted my trem to not go out of tune.

So did the graphtech saddles help?

Quote by amx05462
if your thinking of changing out the pickups try a set of fender noisless. i put them in my strat . like night and day.

Cool, I might put those on the two single coils or something...but uh..."noiseless"...singlecoils? How can single coils be noiseless?

Oh, to all: how much should I expect to pay to have someone adjust a graphtech nut for me? Is it worth it?
Movin to the groovin
Quote by FunkyWhiteBoy
So did the graphtech saddles help?

Cool, I might put those on the two single coils or something...but uh..."noiseless"...singlecoils? How can single coils be noiseless?

Oh, to all: how much should I expect to pay to have someone adjust a graphtech nut for me? Is it worth it?

The graphtech saddles where a huge improvement over the crappy iron saddles that come stock, I dont get perfect tuning stability with the trem because I was unable to fit the graphtech nut and its still stuck with the crappy plastic one, but they do pertty much exactly what they say they do, if you listen to some of the stuff on my profile then you will get an idea of how good a squier can sound.

And the noiseless single coils are for the most part noiseless, if you run stupid amounts of distortion through them then they will buzz, but they are defint worth the money if you can afford them, I think there about like $40 each.
Quote by ethan_hanus
The graphtech saddles where a huge improvement over the crappy iron saddles that come stock, I dont get perfect tuning stability with the trem because I was unable to fit the graphtech nut and its still stuck with the crappy plastic one, but they do pertty much exactly what they say they do, if you listen to some of the stuff on my profile then you will get an idea of how good a squier can sound.

And the noiseless single coils are for the most part noiseless, if you run stupid amounts of distortion through them then they will buzz, but they are defint worth the money if you can afford them, I think there about like $40 each.

What about roller saddles? Same, different, better, worse?

http://store.guitarfetish.com/rosaupyotrha.html

I'm pretty sure i'm just gonna get all this **** on guitarfetish...i mean, why not. I"m upgrading a Squier for cryin out loud. I'll just get the stuff that works, not spend a whole lot extra
Movin to the groovin
Quote by FunkyWhiteBoy
What about roller saddles? Same, different, better, worse?

http://store.guitarfetish.com/rosaupyotrha.html

I'm pretty sure i'm just gonna get all this **** on guitarfetish...i mean, why not. I"m upgrading a Squier for cryin out loud. I'll just get the stuff that works, not spend a whole lot extra

Roller saddles would work, but those wont fit becuse there american spaced, which is 2 3/16 in, most low end imports, (like your guitar and mine) are I think 2 1/16 inch spaced, you measure this by takeing the measurement from e stirng to E sting on the bridge. If the spaceing is right then go ahead and order the parts, from what I know roller saddles will do the trick, but the graphtech ones improve the tone also. But its up to you. But a word of advice, anything that involves the strings or tremlo you really need to take lots of measurements and do your homework and take your time.

Yeah I agree, but I needed the high end stuff since my squire is my only electic and I have to gig with it without a backup, so it has to work all the time. Plus, I can take it off this guitar and put on another guitar.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Roller saddles would work, but those wont fit becuse there american spaced, which is 2 3/16 in, most low end imports, (like your guitar and mine) are I think 2 1/16 inch spaced, you measure this by takeing the measurement from e stirng to E sting on the bridge. If the spaceing is right then go ahead and order the parts, from what I know roller saddles will do the trick, but the graphtech ones improve the tone also. But its up to you. But a word of advice, anything that involves the strings or tremlo you really need to take lots of measurements and do your homework and take your time.

Yeah I agree, but I needed the high end stuff since my squire is my only electic and I have to gig with it without a backup, so it has to work all the time. Plus, I can take it off this guitar and put on another guitar.

Yeah, I have a this strat and a Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top (discontinued). The Epi's more "performance quality" sure, but I like the feel of a strat, and the tremolo. I use the strat for Van Halen stuff. It's pretty nice for tapping too.

So neither is "backup", as I switch betwixt the two, but if one goes out, then the other is gonna be the rest of the show.
Movin to the groovin
Last edited by FunkyWhiteBoy at Jul 10, 2009,
anybody know where i can get cheap graph tech or roller saddles that will fit 2 1/16inch standard trem?
Movin to the groovin
http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?ProductID=339&CurrencyID=2

Woah. That is awesome. Like... perfect. Holy crud.

Also, my headstock is finished. It is pretty sweet. It says "SuperStrat" in script now. Black gloss paint. Silver sharpie, actually. I know it's audacious, but why not. I'll get pictures up eventually.

Also, I settled on the GFS "VEH" (they say it stands for Vintage Extra Hot, but we all know it's Van Eddie Halen) black humbucker and a black pickguard with only a volume knob and a bridge humbucker position only.
Movin to the groovin