My guitar is a Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Thinline model. It has six saddles and I'm not sure how this happens but sometimes when I'm playing a bit more aggressively the saddle screw that is closest to the floor on the high E string unwinds itself. I get the feeling that the bridge on my guitar was put on wrong in the factory or was drilled wrong but I am not sure. If anyone could shed some light on this I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Note: The B string saddle screw will do the same thing if I don't have a High E on at the time.

Edit: I should have been a more specific. I was referring to the height adjustment screws, Not the intonation screws. I use .09 strings on this guitar and it seems more common when downtuned although I have had it happen to me while playing up half a step.

Gargoyle2500 (I put my screen name here to find this under the searchbar)
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jul 8, 2009,
Are you talking about the height adjusting screws?
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Quote by Gargoyle2500
My guitar is a Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Thinline model. It has six saddles and I'm not sure how this happens but sometimes when I'm playing a bit more aggressively the saddle screw that is closest to the floor on the high E string unwinds itself. I get the feeling that the bridge on my guitar was put on wrong in the factory or was drilled wrong but I am not sure. If anyone could shed some light on this I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Note: The B string saddle screw will do the same thing if I don't have a High E on at the time.
That's some pretty aggressive picking. Apparently your deflecting the string so hard you're taking all the load off the saddle. Then when the string pushed down again, it causes the screw to settle just slightly and rotate.

Remove the screw and crush the threads slightly in the portion that will remain in the saddle when the screw is at the right height. This will cause the screw to bind up a bit in the threads. Don't overdo it, or you won't be able to turn it.

And maybe play a bit less aggressively?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
That's some pretty aggressive picking. Apparently your deflecting the string so hard you're taking all the load off the saddle. Then when the string pushed down again, it causes the screw to settle just slightly and rotate.

Remove the screw and crush the threads slightly in the portion that will remain in the saddle when the screw is at the right height. This will cause the screw to bind up a bit in the threads. Don't overdo it, or you won't be able to turn it.

And maybe play a bit less aggressively?

On the same page...but a bit less invasive...use a small drop of a light threadlocker on the threads. Blue would be ok but can be tough to remove if too much is used, purple (loctite 222) is the ticket but can be hard to find. Don't use green you'll never move 'em again.

In a bind, some nail polish will work too.

On the screws, of course
My Stuff:
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Ah, I should have been a bit more specific. I was referring to the height adjustment screws, Not the intonation screws. I use .09 strings on this guitar and it seems more common when downtuned although I have had it happen to me while playing up half a step.

I'll add this to the main post.
Always tin your strings.

_____

playing UP half a step???
Bands I've seen:
Jet
Metallica
Lamb of God
Baroness
A Day To Remember
Underoath
Northlane
In The Walls
Saints Alight
Live As A Monster
Bleach The Skies
Red Ribbon Army
The Amity Affliction
Madisonfoxx
Buried In Verona
Yes, It happened when playing half a step up of standard tuning. What, Is this term not used anymore?
Always tin your strings.

_____

Properly setup, it shouldn't matter if you go down or up in tuning. And thinking about it, an aggressive attack would tend to affect the screw closest to the top as you'd likely be heavier on the downstroke.

Is it a toploader or string-through setup?
My Stuff:
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
It has a bridge that allows both string-thru or toploading. At the moment (Since I am not replacing all of the strings when I break one) I have the D and B strings set up through toploading and the low E, A and G strings are string-through. I don't have a High E string on it right now.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jul 7, 2009,