Alright I'm a guitarist but I do enjoy playing bass once in a while, especially slapping.

Anyways I currently have a Squier Affinity J-Bass, and I'm looking to upgrade...
As I said I love slap n pop, I play classic rock, blues, anything but metal.
I'm going to but it used, my budget is around 450$.

I play through a crappy fender amp - could you recommend me a decent bass amp? Not more than 300$ used

I'd like something other than a J-Bass or P-Bass... I was looking at the Peavey Cirrus. But I'm completely lost when it comes to bass gear...

Thanks!
I have a Peavey Cirrus (i assume you mean the foreign-made ones), and it's pretty good except it goes through batteries faster than other basses seem to...I even e-mailed a Peavey rep and he said that 1-2months sounds right, but from what i've heard a lot of people are getting up to 6+ months out of their active basses...
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Ya, I'd rather use passive pickups but it seems to me that most of the basses I see have active electronics...
You play everything BUT metal and you like to slap, and don't want active pick ups. Sounds to me you need to shell out one hundred more for your basic MIM Fender Precision my friend.
Quote by ARguitars
Alright I'm a guitarist but I do enjoy playing bass once in a while, especially slapping.

Anyways I currently have a Squier Affinity J-Bass, and I'm looking to upgrade...
As I said I love slap n pop, I play classic rock, blues, anything but metal.
I'm going to but it used, my budget is around 450$.

I play through a crappy fender amp - could you recommend me a decent bass amp? Not more than 300$ used

I'd like something other than a J-Bass or P-Bass... I was looking at the Peavey Cirrus. But I'm completely lost when it comes to bass gear...

Thanks!
I would concentrate on getting the best amp possible in your price bracket (Most watts, best/biggest speakers) even if it means sticking with your current Bass; it will improve the sound from your Bass no end.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn