Alright, I'm wanting to build a volume footswitch, but before I do it, I want to know if one exists.

Bascially, I want this volume footswitch to have a knob on it to add/subtract dB from the guitar, but I want it to be able to recognize a distorted signal, so that it only affects the guitar when played clean. Playing with my volume knob tends to screw me up while I'm playing, and pedal can't mix right (volume wise) with the guitar for some reason.

Anyway, basically, it should only boost the clean signal coming from the guitar, and once it notices that the distortion pedal is active (I'm assuming, I'd have to put this on the last of the effects pedal chain, IDK) it seizes to work. Here's something I drew out for the idea. I'm kind of incapable of doing this myself, but if anyone wants to give it go feel free.

Where it says "volume boost" (at the to, in the middle of the circle of dB..), the knob should be surrounding it.

Where it says "on/off", the actual switch should be right above it, inbetween the "Epic Pedal" logo, and the on/off sign thingymajig.

Anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this?
lets look at the problem before we go building pedals. you have a distortion pedal that makes it too loud when the distortion is turned on. you have options. turn down the level on the distortion pedal. if you have the level on the pedal up cause it sounds better, then there is something wrong with that setup. at that point your using your pedal to do two things. distortion and boosting until the signal clips at the input of the amp. not a good setup really. but if thats what you like than here is how to do it. put a AB switch going into the distorion pedal (A) and a fuchs clean boost (B) then you have a Y cable to merge the signal into the amp. then use the AB switch to go from clean to dirty. if you still cant get the clean loud enough without breaking up, then your going to have to turn down the level on the distortion pedal until they match. but then you dont get that clipping so your gonna need another distortion or overdrive or fuzz pedal to get the right distortion.

BUT

thats too complicated and its kind of a waste. a good setup is where you have a footswitch on the amp and you just use channel switch for clean dirty. NO PEDALS. or if you have an amp that does clean/dirty with the volume knob on a guitar.

tell us what your using. everything. guitar pedals amp
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by fullsailstudent
lets look at the problem before we go building pedals. you have a distortion pedal that makes it too loud when the distortion is turned on. you have options. turn down the level on the distortion pedal. if you have the level on the pedal up cause it sounds better, then there is something wrong with that setup. at that point your using your pedal to do two things. distortion and boosting until the signal clips at the input of the amp. not a good setup really. but if thats what you like than here is how to do it. put a AB switch going into the distorion pedal (A) and a fuchs clean boost (B) then you have a Y cable to merge the signal into the amp. then use the AB switch to go from clean to dirty. if you still cant get the clean loud enough without breaking up, then your going to have to turn down the level on the distortion pedal until they match. but then you dont get that clipping so your gonna need another distortion or overdrive or fuzz pedal to get the right distortion.

BUT

thats too complicated and its kind of a waste. a good setup is where you have a footswitch on the amp and you just use channel switch for clean dirty. NO PEDALS. or if you have an amp that does clean/dirty with the volume knob on a guitar.

tell us what your using. everything. guitar pedals amp

Thanks for the response.

The A/B switch might be a good idea to be honest. I can see that working out.

I don't really have many options when it comes to amps, I was looking into buying a speaker cabinet, and then after saving up for a Peavey ValveKing head. I've tried it before, and I like it.

I'm using an Epiphone SG 1966 Reissue with the default pickups, a Fender Frontman15B (bass amp, but it doesn't work with a bass ironically.. it does the job as a practice amp though) and for my pedal(s) I have a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal for my rhythm distortion. That's more or less all of my equipment.
do it like all people with 2 pedals. turn one off and then the other off quickly. you can use a clean boost or you can use a volume pedal, which looks like a wah.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack