not really
if you are talking about a different cab then maybe.

and combos are heavy as heck.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
not really
if you are talking about a different cab then maybe.

and combos are heavy as heck.

i dont care so much about its weight hahahaha. im thinking of getting a tube amp for the first time. i have a vox valvetronix and i could sell it and use the money to get a cheaper all tube amp. i dont plan on modding it, at least not now
^what genres do you play?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
i would get the head. you'll get more sound options by changing the cab than in the combo. and by geting a bigger cab (at least 1x12) you dont get that "boxed" sound that's present in the combo (1x8 speaker).

also, i would reccomend getting an overdrive pedal
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by ldnovelo
i would get the head. you'll get more sound options by changing the cab than in the combo. and by geting a bigger cab (at least 1x12) you dont get that "boxed" sound that's present in the combo (1x8 speaker).

see the thing is, im really kinda on a budget but i really want a tube amp. i figured it would be best to get a small 5w one to start with and it would be recession friendly. i have a kid lined up who will buy my amp and using the money from the sale i can get the combo and maybe spend a few bucks on a good pedal, seeing as mine are crap.

EDIT: the fender champion is the evj's closest competitor, seeing as a blackheart little giant and vox ac4 are still quite a bit outta range
Last edited by ryanfit4battle at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by ryanfit4battle
see the thing is, im really kinda on a budget but i really want a tube amp. i figured it would be best to get a small 5w one to start with and it would be recession friendly. i have a kid lined up who will buy my amp and using the money from the sale i can get the combo and maybe spend a few bucks on a good pedal, seeing as mine are crap.

EDIT: the fender champion is the evj's closest competitor, seeing as a blackheart little giant and vox ac4 are still quite a bit outta range

mm well, i see. i reccomend you to save a bit more, or searching for used stuff.
ok, so the combo is $200
in ebay, valve junior heads are going for about $80-$90).
you can get a cheap used speaker (about $50) and make a cab yourself($15 for the wood). the wiring is super easy ($10 soldering iron if you dont have one).
it's probably a bit more of a hassle, but you can get better results for less money. (in total, about $150).
if you hate doing stuff, you can get a used cab (about $120). you're still at the same price than the combo, but you will be better.
also, make shure you use speaker cables to connect you are to it's cab.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

Quote by ldnovelo
mm well, i see. i reccomend you to save a bit more, or searching used stuff.
in ebay, valve juniors are going for about $80-$90).
you can get a cheap used speaker (about $50) and make a cab yourself($15 for the wood). the wiring is super easy ($10 soldering iron if you dont have one).

why save more?
Quote by ryanfit4battle
why save more?

because you could get better stuff with more money. but that money is twice the cost of a valve junior, so i dropped the idea and i centered more on getting used stuff.
for example, if you get $400, you can get a B52 AT112 (not the best amp for your music, but it's very good), or a blackstar HT-5 stack. also, you could get a used classic 30 or fender hot rod for $400. by getting $600, you can get a lot of used killer amps if you seach well, but that's 3 times what the VJ costs :/
i noticed getting another $200(or $400)would be a lot of time and work, so i didn't post it.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

Quote by ldnovelo
because you could get better stuff with more money. but that money is twice the cost of a valve junior, so i dropped the idea and i centered more on getting used stuff.
for example, if you get $400, you can get a B52 AT112 (not the best amp for your music, but it's very good), or a blackstar HT-5 stack. also, you could get a used classic 30 or fender hot rod for $400.
i noticed getting another $200 would be a lot of time and work, so i didn't post it.

ive got the money to spend on basically any amp i want. the thing is i live in an apartment and need to play at bedroom levels. and i dont want to spend that much money on an amp. my girlfriend would get pissed and i would become broke. saving up is not really in my vision. flame if ya will. i was looking to take the money i make off my ss and buy my first tube amp.
Definitely get the head and cab just for the speaker ugrade. I'm not a real big fan of the valve jr, but some people love them to death. I'd get something with a master volume in the apartment though, that thing's going to be loud when you crank it.

Maybe a blackheart killer ant would be more appropriate as well
If you live in an apartment and have to keep the volume low, then an amp like the valve Jr doesn't offer much. Are you putting pedals in front? You want get any real tones out of it unless you do. The cab is way better than the combo.
VJrs love bigger/nicer cabs too. I was blown away by the difference.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by al112987
With the Vox AC4tv, why would anyone buy a Valve Jr?

i dont have the vox ac4tv

Quote by fly135
If you live in an apartment and have to keep the volume low, then an amp like the valve Jr doesn't offer much. Are you putting pedals in front? You want get any real tones out of it unless you do. The cab is way better than the combo.

i dont live in europe but thanks anyway

Quote by fly135

i would def put pedals in front of it
Quote by ryanfit4battle
i dont have the vox ac4tv

i dont live in europe but thanks anyway

i would def put pedals in front of it

Wow you misread 2 out of 3 of those posts...

Quote by fly135

I disagree here. With a better cab it actually sounds really nice, especially for some bluesy overdrive. But you are right it shines with some pedals.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
I disagree here. With a better cab it actually sounds really nice, especially for some bluesy overdrive. But you are right it shines with some pedals.
Bluesy overdrive at bedroom levels? I don't think so. I have the head/cab and had the combo. The only bluesy overdrive at low levels comes from your pedals.

IMO the Vjr has been surpassed by better deals. It's fine little amp if you already have one and put stuff in front or it. But for a tube bedroom amp I'd rather have something like the Fender Vibro XD or Super Champ XD depending on whether you want to spend $200 or $300. Save the expensive pedals for the bigger iron and a practice room where you can crank it..
Quote by fly135
Bluesy overdrive at bedroom levels? I don't think so. I have the head/cab and had the combo. The only bluesy overdrive at low levels comes from your pedals.

IMO the Vjr has been surpassed by better deals. It's fine little amp if you already have one and put stuff in front or it. But for a tube bedroom amp I'd rather have something like the Fender Vibro XD or Super Champ XD depending on whether you want to spend $200 or $300. Save the expensive pedals for the bigger iron and a practice room where you can crank it..

Oh, sorry I didn't realize you meant at bedroom levels. Your 100% right on that. I think it is a common fallacy here that these are good, quiet amps. In order for it to even sound like a tube amp you have to have it at least 1/3 of the way up. At that level it is definitely beyond bedroom volume. I love cranking it though, although lately I've noticed it's pretty unusable above 3/4...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I converted 2/3rds of my garage to living space (w/ AC) where I can practice and crank my amps a bit. I've spent a lot of time enjoying my Vjr stack cranked (1/2 way) with various pedals and multifx in front. Once you get everything dialed in and eq'd it a nice sounding amp with plenty of volume.
ill guess ill just live with the vox vt and wait until i have more money to spend and buy the vox ac15cc1