hey, recently I have started learning some simple things on keyboard, and I wasn't to know some exercises and stuff and some songs to try out. I am into Symphonic Metal so some Emperor or Dimmu Borgir would be good. I can play most of 'In Death's Embrace' by Dimmu Borgir, but I am still working on the intro. any help is appreciated, and also I tried searching but I am not sure if this is the right thread for this, correct me if I am wrong
"I will endure, hide away...

I would outrun the scythe, glaring with failure"

Opeth - April Ethereal
Scales and arpeggios every day. That's a given, then songs you like.
okay, but let's just say I've never played a piano / keyboard before, where do I start? Scales? or just notes? I do play guitar and know scales etc so will that help with piano?

Opeth - April Ethereal
Quote by Vredesbyrd23
okay, but let's just say I've never played a piano / keyboard before, where do I start? Scales? or just notes? I do play guitar and know scales etc so will that help with piano?

it would help if you have no books for piano. because you could play a chord or scale and then find the notes on piano. thats what i did more or less.
Learn the notes on the piano (it's really simple, just a repeating pattern). Then learn the major/minor scales with the correct fingerings (you can find them online). Also, arpeggios. Really, just work that every day. Get it down so you can go both hands in 2 octaves at once. This will really get your coordination down. And practice songs you want to play while you do this. Really, just keep at it. Piano, in my opinion, is a hard instrument to learn by yourself.
Another good thing to do is play 5 note patterns chromatically up the keyboard.

So start at C and go C D E F G F E D C, and then move up to Db, and go Db Eb F Gb Ab Gb F Eb Db, and then up to D and go D E F# G A G F# E D, etc etc, until you've made it back to C. It's tough, and it sucks to learn, but its good for learning fluidity in your fingers.
"I love music, it's not like math. In music, 2+2 can equal 5, if it's a pretty enough 5." -Samuel R. Hazo

"Alle menschen werden bruder- all men become brothers"
-Ludwig Van Beethoven, from his 9th Symphony.

-John
Major/Minor Scale

Play them over two octaves (seriously this adds such depth to your practicing, wya better then just on octave)

Major/Minor Chords

I'd Suggest you play these over 3 octaves

start the on C, work your wya op chromaticly (just like post above really)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But But I don't know how fond you are of practicing nothing but technical proficiency. Songs can build up your efficiency.

As for metal songs on piano, I can't really suggets anything. I can however suggest, you buy books with songs in them. It's reallyc ool to learn soem ragtimes and stuff, and then start practicing some metal material on keys, showing you have become better. Practicing metal only will just make it seem last longer.
You dont have to get a teacher, but it would help ALOT! Can you read music or work things out by ear? I would suggest you learn to play the songs you listen to, any scales/chords/arpeggios should come from that. Theory is useless on its own anyway.

Sometimes its good to learn a song, and then try to arrange it in a different style- which means you learn the chords to the song and everything as a byproduct.
Quote by chainsawguitar
You dont have to get a teacher, but it would help ALOT! Can you read music or work things out by ear? I would suggest you learn to play the songs you listen to, any scales/chords/arpeggios should come from that. Theory is useless on its own anyway.

Sometimes its good to learn a song, and then try to arrange it in a different style- which means you learn the chords to the song and everything as a byproduct.

yes I can learn by ear, I can also read music.

Opeth - April Ethereal
Quote by Vredesbyrd23
hey, recently I have started learning some simple things on keyboard (...) any help is appreciated
I've been learning to play the piano with a teacher for the last two years, so for once I get to talk about something I do know a bit about. :-)

Playing the piano is technically not as hard as the guitar, but there are some things you have to look out for. Finger- and handpositions are still important. And that's what you should work on first.

Your hands should be like claws or spiders when you play chords or arpeggio's. Some people (me for instance) tend to play with flat hands, which is bad for the sound. There's no way you get the same fluidity playing like that.

Your fingers should not be hammering the keys (like most beginners do) but think of giving each key a soft massage. Press your digit, slightly arched (spider leg, remember) into the key and gently pull it back. It's an almost erotic gesture if you think of it, but it really helps to get a good sound. Try to pay attention to it even when you play fast.

Your fingers should always be parallel with the keys. I used to rotate my wrists to reach for notes, but again at the detriment of sound. And I had to unlearn it. When you get used to play with parallel fingers, you start to feel where the notes are.

The hardest part playing piano is coordination. You may think it's tough to fret and pick notes on a guitar, but that's nowhere to be compared with commanding ten fingers on an 88 key keyboard. The trick, like most things, is to keep practicing. Playing ten minutes every day is better than to play one hour a week. You have to let your brain get used to the finger positions. The term muscle memory gets thrown around a lot on UG. Well I guess the same goes for keys.

I do advocate for a teacher. Especially the first year. It's easy to pick up bad habits. And since your keyboard has naturally a beautiful sound, it's hard to notice it until it's too late. But even if you can't find/afford one, I still wish you all the best.