So I've been saving for a studio for a while, but seeing reviews I'm not so sure. I've decided on the LP over fender (I have a strat knockoff) just due to the style I play. So instead of the studio, which guitar, still with the LP look, would be best. If there's something much better I could ditch the look, but I'm a fan. I was looking at the LTD's, Epi Elitists, the new Epi Prophecy (Soooo sexy), or of course the studio.

I play Classic Rock, harder rock (like GNR), loads of Beatles, blues, a bit of metal, and your occasional odd indie song or w/e. Not really willing to really go over what the studio is priced at, unless it'll get me a massive jump.
Originally Posted by bucktheduck
You think you're any better, swamping in sexual filth with fangs bared and blood red eyes? I see through the cold blood of you reptiles, none of you can do any good to a world that I need to fix.

Apparently, me.
don't buy a guitar just based on looks. Play some LPs and see if you even like any of them.. just try some out and buy whatever was most comfortable.
Id go for the Prophecy model. Either one. Ive played several and haven't found one I don't like, and I play almost the exact same styles as you do.
Quote by pepsi1187
don't buy a guitar just based on looks. Play some LPs and see if you even like any of them.. just try some out and buy whatever was most comfortable.

And this.
Quote by pepsi1187

I've already tried based on feel. I like the LP. Like I said though, if there's a better guitar in the range I'll change. Looks are a plus though.
@Footalica- How's the neck? It's one of the only guitars I said in my first post that I haven't played in real life. Is it thicker/thinner than a standard?
You think you're any better, swamping in sexual filth with fangs bared and blood red eyes? I see through the cold blood of you reptiles, none of you can do any good to a world that I need to fix.

Apparently, me.
IMO Carvin's CS series guitars are the best LP shaped guitars in any price range. That I have tried, anyway. Might be more expensive than a Gibson Studio, but it's a huge jump in quality.
The studio range is anywhere from $800 to $1300.

So which is your upper limit? I feel like if you could spend $1300, you wouldn't be looking at the Epi prophecy. Anyway, look for some used Epi elitists, some used studios, not really going to suggest more than what you've already looked at. You really can't do much but try a bunch of guitars. I wouldn't really put too much stock into what the general public says about a guitar over what you can determine when you actually play the instrument itself as they can vary quite a bit.
Quote by Nthomp
I've already tried based on feel. I like the LP. Like I said though, if there's a better guitar in the range I'll change. Looks are a plus though.

If you like the LP, I don't see a problem. Most reviews are not objective, they're subjective. If the person wanted a LP Studio, they will give it a 10s. If they wanted a LP Custom, they'll give it a bad score. Most people who get a LP Studio do so because they just want a Gibson LP but they don't want to spend more money for the model they really want. On the other hand, some people will pick a studio over a traditional, standard, or custom because they're all made differently. If you really like a guitar, there's no such thing as a better guitar.
Quote by al112987

So which is your upper limit? I feel like if you could spend $1300, you wouldn't be looking at the Epi prophecy. Anyway, look for some used Epi elitists, some used studios, not really going to suggest more than what you've already looked at. You really can't do much but try a bunch of guitars. I wouldn't really put too much stock into what the general public says about a guitar over what you can determine when you actually play the instrument itself as they can vary quite a bit.

1300 is basically my total limit. I'd much prefer something less (1300 is pretty steep for me), around the 800-1000 range. But if the studio is the best in that close range, I might shell out for it. At each range (800, 1000, 1300) what would you suggest?

@Jelifish- In my case it's due to money. The standard is over 2000 dollars, which is just something I can't do right now for a guitar. Traditionals are close to that. I can get a used car for a bit more.
@Stratman- The bad thing is though, I can't try it out.

Apparently, me.
Yeah I hear that. One of the hardest things I ever did was shell out over a thousand bucks for a guitar that was completely unseen and unplayed by me. Man it sure turned out to be worth it, though. That was a DC-127, since then one of my buddies got a CS4, and my next guitar will be a CS3. But it would suck to wait all that time only to find you didn't like the feel..
Quote by al112987

This. Each individual guitar often varies SO MUCH.
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA_D
RAD IO HEA D

Quote by I'mronburgundy?
in addition to all of that, you also win the thread.

Quote by metallica724
>:O littlejoy isnt a creep hes full of win unlike you
And it's for that reason I'm scared to order online for a carvin, prophecy, or even the LTD (my local GC carries 2 of the variety I want, and other local shops don't carry them at all).

A question about the prophecy (either model), they're advertising both for the "crunch". Is it close to the Gibson sound, or is it more like a Jackson/Schecter? Can it deliver blues? If not I'll have to pass it up (so sexy tho :P).

Apparently, me.
Quote by Nthomp
1300 is basically my total limit. I'd much prefer something less (1300 is pretty steep for me), around the 800-1000 range. But if the studio is the best in that close range, I might shell out for it. At each range (800, 1000, 1300) what would you suggest?

@Jelifish- In my case it's due to money. The standard is over 2000 dollars, which is just something I can't do right now for a guitar. Traditionals are close to that. I can get a used car for a bit more.
@Stratman- The bad thing is though, I can't try it out.
Well I can't really suggest anything other than what you've already looked at.

But if you want my honest opinion, if you want a les paul studio, buy used. Back when I was looking for a les paul studio (and keep in mind that this was about 9 years ago), there was a huge selection of guitars on the used market that were made during the '90s and were in general great guitars. And they were all in that $700 price range, and trust me on this, the feel of a well played, broken in les paul is completely different from that of a new one. Also, the necks on the studios (at least the ones that I've played) are a little bit different from other Gibsons. They're thinner, even the ones with the rounded '50s profile feels thinner, and more comfortable to me than that of a standard (and even "1960 spec" classic and 1960 reissue, which both have "slim tapered necks"). But definitely look used and see if you can't find one for cheap from the '90s. Those are really solid from my experience and the vast majority of the studios I've played have been mid to late '90s models and most of them have been very good playing and good sounding (even with stock pickups, which my guitar most certainly did not sound good with). My particular guitar is from 2001, and I've always been a tad fonder of it than most other les pauls I've tried. The newer ones are a little bit shakier in terms of QC. I've played some pretty crappy Gibsons overall from the mid 2000s, though the ones recently have been better on a whole.

Another option that you may also want to look at are used Heritage guitars, they're a little bit hit or miss, but used ones can also be in the price range you're looking at.

But as always, you can't do anything but play a lot of guitars. I've played a LOT of les pauls. Far more than most of the people on this site, and there is a wide range, both in terms of how they feel and particularly how they sound. Gibson typically reserves the highest quality cuts of wood for their custom shop models but truth be told, there are 1959 reissues (which they use the lightest, highest grade mahogany for) which sound like ass, and there are $600 les paul specials that sound... surprisingly good.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by Nthomp
Can it deliver blues? If not I'll have to pass it up (so sexy tho :P).

Blues are all in the hands and fingers.. you can always change the pickups later anyways
It sounds like you'd be embarrassed to play anything but a Les Paul.
Last edited by pepsi1187 at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by pepsi1187
Blues are all in the hands and fingers.. you can always change the pickups later anyways
It sounds like you'd be embarrassed to play anything but a Les Paul.

Tone is dependent a bit on your guitar and amp .
No, I actually prefer strats when it comes to things other than rock (bluesy rock like Zeppelin, blues, indie, etc.). LP's just happen to deliver both quite nicely.
@Al11- Thanks alot. That was helpful. The studio does have a bit thinner neck (which I like). I'll be looking used, (I've found some nice prices).

Also, I've narrowed it down to either the Prophecy or the Studio by now, just based on samplings of them both, and my experience with the Studio. Not sure at this point.

Apparently, me.
It really comes down to which you like more when you pick them up and play them. I've always thought of my studio as a guitar that I just like to mess around with with different pickup combinations, etc. etc. but I've had it for almost a decade now and it is still going very strong. You might also want to ask at more LP oriented places than here (Gibson is a tad maligned around these parts), in general most of the responses you will get are people rehashing the same stuff they pick up in other threads in which 90% of the folks have never touched a les paul pre-2006.
What specifically do you like the about the LP? It seems like your just going by looks since the Prophecy feels completely different than the Studio. What are you looking for in a guitar? And don't say a good bluesy tone or anything like that. Because it's in the hands of the player. LPs and Strats are about as different as guitars come but they're still used extensively in all genres.
Quote by JELIFISH19
What specifically do you like the about the LP? It seems like your just going by looks since the Prophecy feels completely different than the Studio. What are you looking for in a guitar? And don't say a good bluesy tone or anything like that. Because it's in the hands of the player. LPs and Strats are about as different as guitars come but they're still used extensively in all genres.

Did you not read my posts? I've never played a prophecy. I.e., I have no idea if it feels different than a studio (apparently now I do). That's why I was asking you guys. I've played the studio. What am I going for in a guitar? Thick, warm tone, with a nice feel. And no, it isn't all in the hands of the player. Not all of it. Your guitar can and will change your tone drastically, when moving up levels, as I'll be doing. The sound is just much better. No flat neck (don't really like them), and as of now, humbuckers. Neck thickness isn't much of an issue, as long as it's playable. Better higher fret access is nice (what I like about strats over the LP). I don't care about a tremolo, too much of a hassle, considering I don't really use them. If you've got another guitar that will deliver that better in this price range, link me, as chances are I'd go with that. As of now I'm seeing the strat or a paul, as most other guitars in that range are "metal" guitars, not as suited in what I play. Don't give me the "all in the player" thing either, as a metal guitar performs much differently than both LP's and Strats. And being that right now I want 2 humbuckers, and don't really want to mod, the LP seems to be right. If a hollow body could deliver a nice crunch sound, I'd get it in a heartbeat, but sadly they don't.
Edit: Didn't see the top question. To that, most of the above, plus the weight (except for long periods of time). The heavy weight just feels right to me. Lightweight guitars are nice when you're playing for hours, but considering I play sitting down 3/4 of the time, a heavy guitar/big guitar (love the size of hollowbodies) is nice.

Apparently, me.
Last edited by Nthomp at Jul 6, 2009,
Well the only things that most "metal" guitars have are jumbo frets, EMGs and Floyds. But there are plenty of non-metal players who use jumbo frets. There really is no such thing as a metal guitar. People play metal on LPs and Strats just like people play the blues on Ibanezes and ESPs. I use my Ibanez for pretty much everything even though I have a few guitars and I haven't found one thing that it can't do. The things a guitar is good for depends on the player. If you play the blues well, it will sound good on any guitar. If you play better on one guitar over another, then you'll probably play blues better on that guitar.

I'm an Ibanez ***** so I would recommend these. I do find that Ibanez does offer incredible value for the price. But they price is not the reason I love them, it's the playability that I haven't found in any other guitar, even the ones that cost twice as much.
http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-SV5470F
http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-FR1620
les paul? gibson quality? decent price?

you want a Tokai

thread
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
+1 to the dude that said Tokai, great guitars. Also, have you tried a LTD EC-1000 I believe they make one with duncans that would be great for you.
Quote by qotsa_e
+1 to the dude that said Tokai, great guitars. Also, have you tried a LTD EC-1000 I believe they make one with duncans that would be great for you.

that was meee tokais are win
on the duncans note if u want a traditional lookign les paul rather then a esp style
you should look at edwards les pauls specifically the jimmy page model its loaded with sds
or if u like epiphone elitist but id go for tokai
GEAR
Orange AD-30 Combo

I think the relic job on the "Jimmy Page" Edwards is hideous and not particularly well done.

However, on the Edwards front, the Edwards LP-130 is a sweet guitar, in every sense. Seymour Duncan antiquities, CTS pots, PIO caps, long neck tenon, and fits in your price range. I completely forgot about that guitar. There was a guy who posted a review of it on the Gear Page with sound clips about a year ago.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=460541
Not really true to the Les Paul shape but I would highly recommend ESP Eclipse over any Gibson. If you're lucky enough you might be able to snatch one of these used for under a grand.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

ESP Eclipse - if you can find it with duncans - or an LTD EC-1000 (in Vintage SB)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Does Tokai ship to the US? Also, where can you buy Edward's? At this point I'm thinking the studio, but does anyone know where I can get a good sampling of the Tokai? I've heard great things about them.

Apparently, me.
Quote by Nthomp
Does Tokai ship to the US? Also, where can you buy Edward's? At this point I'm thinking the studio, but does anyone know where I can get a good sampling of the Tokai? I've heard great things about them.

most of the best cheap les pauls wee on about are japanese
and the best place to buy them is ebay
GEAR
Orange AD-30 Combo

Wow.

It's not that hard. If you can cough up money for a new Studio, you can get an awesome, say, mid-90s Les Paul Standard (the real thing). Which will probably give you best value for you money.

Also, remember that when you get a second hand Gibson Les Paul, you can álways sell it for at least as much as you paid for it and they will only go up in value. A '96 is ordinary now but will be vintage in as little as ten years.

If you plan on being in a band reliable quality is the best way to go!
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Last edited by bornfidelity at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by bornfidelity
Wow.

It's not that hard. If you can cough up money for a new Studio, you can get an awesome, say, mid-90s Les Paul Standard (the real thing). Which will probably give you best value for you money.

Also, remember that when you get a second hand Gibson Les Paul, you can álways sell it for at least as much as you paid for it and they will only go up in value. A '96 is ordinary now but will be vintage in as little as ten years.

If you plan on being in a band reliable quality is the best way to go!

Now if I could only find someone, not on ebay, where I could get one for that money

Trust me, I've tried looking. The guitars are nice though, so it's rare to find one. I saw one for 1400 just yesterday, and sadly couldn't get it, as I'm only at 750 dollars right now. Thanks though, if I could I would.

Apparently, me.
Quote by Nthomp
Tone is dependent a bit on your guitar and amp .
No, I actually prefer strats when it comes to things other than rock (bluesy rock like Zeppelin, blues, indie, etc.). LP's just happen to deliver both quite nicely.
@Al11- Thanks alot. That was helpful. The studio does have a bit thinner neck (which I like). I'll be looking used, (I've found some nice prices).

Also, I've narrowed it down to either the Prophecy or the Studio by now, just based on samplings of them both, and my experience with the Studio. Not sure at this point.

Studio. I only just read the first page of posts, and, I must say I totally agree with the guy who talked about mid-90s Les Pauls. Actually, for Gibsons, 80s-late 90s are the best for your second hand options (it's how I got the Explorer!). They're not so old they cost a fortune but they're not so new that they're still expensive. All of them great instruments nonetheless.

So go with the Studio man. If you find one you like the look of, play it, and if it feels right, get it. That's how it works
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
If you can actually find an elite/elitist then this really is the obvious choice. Or any other good japanese copy..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)