so im thinking about building a monterey strat replica,

my problem comes into painting it, i have a friend who will paint it for me, but heres the problem, how do i paint it?

do i paint the background first and then clear and polish, then let her paint it, then clear and polish it again? or do i paint it, let her paint it, then clear and polish?

thanks guys.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Paint it, let her paint it with a compatible paint, then clear over that with a compatible paint, then polish it.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
oh ****, i forgot about compatible paints. what kind should i use?

conoredit-i also forgot to look at the refinishing thread first
god damnit, i fail tonight, a mod can close if it wants.. though i'd prefer they not.

conoreditx2- whew, i think im safe, i didnt see anything about it up there.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Last edited by conor1148 at Jul 6, 2009,
Well I prefer acryllic lacquers because they come in $4 spray cans, are easy to use, and when used properly can give you a professional finish.

Although I've never done painting like the Monterey, so I would ask our smartest painter, lppon, to help you.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by conor1148
so im thinking about building a monterey strat replica,

my problem comes into painting it, i have a friend who will paint it for me, but heres the problem, how do i paint it?

do i paint the background first and then clear, and polish then let her paint it, then clear and polish it. again? or do i paint it, let her paint it, then clear and polish?

thanks guys.
*fixed*

Double post FTW!!!

Use Acrylic Sealer, Primer, Colorcoat, and Clearcoat. Buy the Acrylic, water-based Paint Markers for the drawing ... Sharpie, Montana, etc.

When painting the pickguard, lay down a Primer for Plastic or go straight to White Paint for Plastic, also Acrylic. Make sure to lightly scuff sand the PG with 600 grit or higher to make the paint bond better.

Quote by Ippon
*fixed*

thanks man, anything else special i need to do? or do i just give it a nice bit of clear and get to polishing like normal?

edit- read your double post, thanks man.
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Quote by conor1148
thanks man, anything else special i need to do? or do i just give it a nice bit of clear and get to polishing like normal?

edit- read your double post, thanks man.
The CS Fender model I saw wasn't glossy at all so I wouldn't go crazy polishing it ... if you're going for close to model.

Quote by Ippon
The CS Fender model I saw wasn't glossy at all so I wouldn't go crazy polishing it ... if you're going for close to model.

i just want something very "vibe-y" to have to look vintagy when hanging on the wall, or to look good to the audience when i pull it out for "foxy lady", i wont go too crazy with polishing

now if only i can get a date with the girl, then i'd be much happier
Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.