For example, I am influenced by Iron Maiden and how they employ various guitar harmonies in songs like The Trooper, Aces High, Run to the Hills, etc. And when I'm songwriting, I really like to write harmonies in that sort of style.
However, when does it become more than just an influence, to where I am actually emulating them completely to a point that it is almost unoriginal?

I could show an example of a song I just finished in Guitar Pro format if that would help to get an answer.

Basically, I just want your thoughts on this matter
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Play it for someone with experience with the band. If they say it could be from one of their songs, then you might be overdoing it. However, how much influence they have is up to you. Lots of bands write great music that is extremely heavily influenced by other bands. Wolfmother, for example (not bashing, I actually saw them in concert a few years ago), or Three Inches of Blood.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
Guitar Pro file would help.

Basically, if you play it to someone and they think it's Maiden, it's probably too similar.
its a question of.. what are you writing music for.

remember, you are only a product of your influences
if your writing music to start a new sound, then you should start listening to a lot of different music than iron maiden..

if not than maybe you should just join a cover band...
Last edited by pepsi1187 at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by Regression
Guitar Pro file would help.

Basically, if you play it to someone and they think it's Maiden, it's probably too similar.

EDIT: Here's the file. This isn't the finished song. The file was too big to fit the entire song
Attachments:
Demo 4th.gp5
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Last edited by SGstriker at Jul 6, 2009,
I listen to maiden a hell off alot, and it could pretty much pass for a maiden song to mee. But it dont mean it aint good.
Yeh, I've only got 3 Maiden songs and tht does sound like it cld be Maiden. Also, going overboard is when you go Godsmack and steal a riff directly from a song by the band tht ur influenced by.
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
I am personally heavily influenced by the bands of the 80's and early 90's. My songs have that feel and sound to them. But they do not necessarily sound like any one band from those eras.

Influence is good, just don't take it too far to where someone cant tell the difference between your music and another person's/band's, or to where you are actually using another person's/band's music. That would be bad.