Hello guys, once again, i come with a few questions .

I'm looking to branch out my playing from just thrash metal, if you get me..
I always hear this hype about Metallica and their legacy and the one thing i cannot stand about them is that kirk uses waayy to much wah wah for my liking.
I was thinking could you guys tell me some of their songs that are not trash ( first 4 albums would be great thanks )
that do not have wah wah in them at all? so i can enjoy playing their songs without the wah wah, i do not own a wah wah and i am not a huge fan of effects at all, i like the bare playing and thats it.
Something off RTL,AJFA,MOP, i think everything off Kill em all has wah wah but i may be wrong.
Cheers guys
i dont think kill em all has any wah, but i could be wrong
i think that kirk uses wah mostly in live concerts, with the exception of sanitarium, the thing that should not be, and fade to black.
Wait, did you just ask for a song off of their FIRST 4 albums that are NOT thrash? You obviously don't know much about Metallica do you. I really don't think The Four Horseman has a wah pedal in it(It's off of Kill Em All) I'll edit this post in 7 minutes to tell you.
Quote by Christian Davis
Wait, did you just ask for a song off of their FIRST 4 albums that are NOT thrash? You obviously don't know much about Metallica do you. I really don't think The Four Horseman has a wah pedal in it(It's off of Kill Em All) I'll edit this post in 7 minutes to tell you.

trash
Quote by pepsi1187
trash

No, trash is something you throw in a rubbish bin.

Thrash is a style of metal playing.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
No, trash is something you throw in a rubbish bin.

Thrash is a style of metal playing.

ya but he said trash...
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Guys... im asking for some songs, i don't care if their heavy, i just don't want any wah wah in it, a little help here? who cares what he said...
Quote by ryan_nadon
ya but he said trash...

Trash and Thrash

Quote by ShredHead396
Guys... im asking for some songs, i don't care if their heavy, i just don't want any wah wah in it, a little help here? who cares what he said...

Why don't you look up metal solo's of a guitarist that doesn't wank with the wah all day?

You're asking for black and white shows on a colour TV.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Trash and Thrash

Why don't you look up metal solo's of a guitarist that doesn't wank with the wah all day?

You're asking for black and white shows on a colour TV.

Well, Sir.
I am trying to get into metallica, something that millions of other people seem to achieve except me, i'm trying to get some help on a cool song to learn, because i imagine a lot of users on this site are into metallica and can play a few of their songs, thats why.
How about you simply go and listen to their first four albums?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
How about you simply go and listen to their first four albums?

Wow, you guys don't get it do you...
I'm asking for some suggestions on what other people like, if i can know what other people like. then i can have a real listen to some choices and make a decision, i don't need any smart a** comments.
By they way, don't you think i have already listend to their first 4 albums?
I just want some suggestions
Quote by ShredHead396
Wow, you guys don't get it do you...
I'm asking for some suggestions on what other people like, if i can know what other people like. then i can have a real listen to some choices and make a decision, i don't need any smart a** comments.
By they way, don't you think i have already listend to their first 4 albums?
I just want some suggestions

No, you asked which of the first 4 albums have thrash songs without wah solo's.

He wasn't being a smart ass.

Why should someone else listen to 4 albums for you.

If anything, you're acting like a smart ass.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx

No, you asked which of the first 4 albums have thrash songs without wah solo's.

He wasn't being a smart ass.

Why should someone else listen to 4 albums for you.

If anything, you're acting like a smart ass.

Ok, let me explain this for you, because you obviously do not understand what i am trying to tell you.
Metallica are just not pure thrash, they have acoustic intros and melodic songs and such, i am asking for a song by metallica that is a good one ( obviously something off the first 4 albums ) without any wah wah or whammy bar or any effects.
I never asked anyone to listen to the first 4 albums for me, where did you get that from? this is aimed at people that have heard a bit of metallica, which i think is the majority of people that listen to metal, i simply do not have the time to listen to all of the 4 albums in a short amount of time.
I hope that clears up any problems or confusion, as i have heard a lot of songs from their more recent work, and in my own opinion, i consider it trash.
That is just my opinion, im not forcing it on anyone else here, it is cool to disagree, i just want a few suggestions from some seasond metallica listeners, i don't need anything else...
I apologize if you consider my statement, rude or un-apreciative, or some such...
Just listen to the albums you lazy arse.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Just listen to the albums you lazy arse.

Listen here chief, some of us actually have jobs and can't sit on their ass listening to Metallica songs all day so don't tell me what to listen to.
Quote by ShredHead396
Listen here chief, some of us actually have jobs and can't sit on their ass listening to Metallica songs all day so don't tell me what to listen to.

Aren't you asking us to tell you what to listen to?
Quote by Cyberbob

Aren't you asking us to tell you what to listen to?

lol yes out of 10
Quote by ShredHead396

I have a job, in fact I'm at work right now, and I can still find time to listen to music - a song is 5 minutes long ffs. You, on the other hand are a child with as much free time on your hands as you'll ever have.

In the time you've spent posting in this thread you could have listened to Kill Em All
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by ShredHead396
Well, Sir.
I am trying to get into metallica, something that millions of other people seem to achieve except me

You don't have to get into them just because everyone else is, not everyone who likes metal has to like Metallica

As for songs without wah, they are few and far between when it comes to Metallica.
There are plenty of Metallica songs that have no wah in them, e.g.

Master of Puppets
Sanitarium
Disposable Heroes
Leper Messiah
Orion

They're just the ones off Master of Puppets!

EDIT: Actually, Disposable does have some, but not in the solo!
Last edited by andrew88 at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
I have a job, in fact I'm at work right now, and I can still find time to listen to music - a song is 5 minutes long ffs. You, on the other hand are a child with as much free time on your hands as you'll ever have.

In the time you've spent posting in this thread you could have listened to Kill Em All

Well thankyou for your reply smart guy but isn't Kill'Em All filled with wah wah in the solos? that is what i was told by a few people anyway.
Quote by andrew88
There are plenty of Metallica songs that have no wah in them, e.g.

Master of Puppets
Sanitarium
Disposable Heroes
Leper Messiah
Orion

They're just the ones off Master of Puppets!

EDIT: Actually, Disposable does have some, but not in the solo!

Cheers man, it's just that everyone knows about master of puppets, at least where i live anyway, but perhaps you know of something with no wah wah off of RTL or AJFA? im not good at being able to tell the difference between wah wah and normal playing sometimes, that sounds stupid i know but im a bit of a newcomer..
Just learn some songs that have wah-wah but don't use the wah-wah. Nobody'll notice.
Off Ride there's Fade to Black, Escape and Creeping Death. I think the title track does have it, but it's quite hard to tell. It still sounds good playing the solo without the wah though!

Off Justice we have Blackened, One, Harvester of Sorrow, Frayed Ends of Sanity and To Live Is to Die. A lot of them have whammy bar tricks though.
Quote by ShredHead396
Well thankyou for your reply smart guy but isn't Kill'Em All filled with wah wah in the solos? that is what i was told by a few people anyway.

Why don't you listen to it and find out?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Why don't you listen to it and find out?

As i have said, i am not good at picking out effects and such on tracks, i do not like effects so i have not had much contact with them at all.
dude, just because they use a wah pedal in the recording doesn't mean you have to. do you seriously think that every guitarist that doesn't own a wah pedal just never learns songs that use em?

you don't need it to play the song unless it's something like rage against the machine where the whole riff is based on it.

with metallica the wah and other effects are mostly just used as decoration and to cover up the fact that hammet isn't that great. you can still learn the damn song, you do'nt have to learn the solo if you really don't want to play it because it has wah in it.

Edit:

Quote by ShredHead396
As i have said, i am not good at picking out effects and such on tracks, i do not like effects so i have not had much contact with them at all.

first, how do you know you don't like effects if you haven't had much contact with them? you don't have enough experience with them to form an opinion.

second, if you can't hear the effect, what the hell does it matter? as I said before, don't use the effect if you don't have it.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by The4thHorsemen
dude, just because they use a wah pedal in the recording doesn't mean you have to. do you seriously think that every guitarist that doesn't own a wah pedal just never learns songs that use em?

you don't need it to play the song unless it's something like rage against the machine where the whole riff is based on it.

with metallica the wah and other effects are mostly just used as decoration and to cover up the fact that hammet isn't that great. you can still learn the damn song, you do'nt have to learn the solo if you really don't want to play it because it has wah in it.

Edit:

first, how do you know you don't like effects if you haven't had much contact with them? you don't have enough experience with them to form an opinion.

second, if you can't hear the effect, what the hell does it matter? as I said before, don't use the effect if you don't have it.

Well of course i have heard wah wah before, its just that i didn't like it very much.
It's amusing seeing people getting pissed over me asking for a few meager suggestions, are all metallica fans this moody?
Everyone has heard effects before,Echo,Delay,Wah Wah,Flanger etc, i'm just saying that i don't like them after hearing them and that i try to cut my self off from them when i can, cheers for the tip on the wah in solos anyway, i'm a little torn between

Call of the Ktulu
Blackend
To Live is to Die
Battery
For Whom The Bell Tolls

cheers anyways guys, im off to make a decision
Why are you people even answering this ass??

Seriously...people like this need to be treated like the dumbasses they are. They have to learn somehow.
Thanks in reply to those few people that actually were able to offer some aid in this situation and not be a prick, im on a couple Kill Em All songs now so im good.