...What do you usually start playing? Me mostly what I recently practiced and then some lame E| 12 5 8 5 tapping
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Depends on the person but TNT with a nice crunchy distortion usually impresses non-guitarists or if they play too I bust out an original :P
I'm usually a dick at stuff like this. I'll play something really easy and unimpressive and play it sort of bad. And then when someone plays better, I'll do the sweeps to This Godless Endeavour.
Check out my band Disturbed
"Guitar? What guitar, who told you I have a guitar?"

*casually moves in front of the guitar stand*
I have a simple rule for anyone but family and close friends. They pay, I play.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Not a Les Paul
"Guitar? What guitar, who told you I have a guitar?"

*casually moves in front of the guitar stand*

Lol, I should do that do
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
I don't usually show off my guitars. Then people want to hold/play them. Then a vision dances through my head. My lovely guitars, lying in hundreds of pieces with the asker standing in the center with that "uuuuhhhhh, oops" face. Then I say something like "I'll rape your mother with a beer bottle if you ever think about such things again." I can't help it.

When I do, I'll play whatever comes to mind. Which is usually 21st Century Schizoid Man or Red.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by Free to Guitar
I don't usually show off my guitars. Then people want to hold/play them. Then a vision dances through my head. My lovely guitars, lying in hundreds of pieces with the asker standing in the center with that "uuuuhhhhh, oops" face. Then I say something like "I'll rape your mother with a beer bottle if you ever think about such things again." I can't help it.

When I do, I'll play whatever comes to mind. Which is usually 21st Century Schizoid Man or Red.

good choice of songs i would advise that if you don't want people to hold or play them, just play either of those with no expression on your face whatsoever, wide eyed, staring blankly into their pupils like a zombie. they probably won't dare ask to play your guitar

If anyone asks to see my guitars, i just get them out of their case, hold them, and talk about them and point out little details, until the people who asked get bored and wander off if they are actually interested though, they are probably trustworthy people and i'm happy to let them play it.

The real problem is when the drummer says "hey can i have a go on your guitar?" in a practice. there's no escape!!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I'll just do some improv, normally nothing real technical but it always ends up sounding good somehow. Or I'll play Master of Puppets up until where the vocals come in. I would do more of it, but at that point, my right hand is in about as much pain as that guy who went quail hunting with Dick Cheney.
Just random things that I know impress non-guitarists... if it's actually a guitarist, then I'll play something that actually requires some skill, and isn't overplayed.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I do what ever my mind and hands want me/allow me to do at that givin time, might be a known song or one of my own riffs and songs just depends on how technical the song is and how Drunk I am.
If they don't play guitar you could just do like

1-2-3-4 all the way up and down the neck and they'll be like

OH MA GAWD DUDE HAVE MA BABIES.
I'll go down on my knees and take some zippo fuel...I'll apply a fare amount of it and light a match..then I'll whistle bark at the moon...that should impress everyone =)
Quote by BoL7z
If they don't play guitar you could just do like

1-2-3-4 all the way up and down the neck and they'll be like

OH MA GAWD DUDE HAVE MA BABIES.

actually that's more likely to impress a musician. a non musician won't appreciate the chromatic scale one bit since it doesn't really play a nice tune, but a simple G D C chord progression will probably impress, whereas a musician is more likely to understand what it is and applaud the fact that you bother to do finger exercises, but won't care much for G D C chords because it's just the basics
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
well bassicly if it a non guitarist.. play stuff that i know will impress them cause it isn't hard to impress a non-guitarist. If it's a guitarist i'll play somthing a little harder like beast and the harlot or laid to rest.. along those lines
non-guitarist: back in black works eeeverytime

guitarist: eugene's trick bag works eeeevytime

hot chickcs: hey there delyla or im yours (or the latest trendy song out there)
Quote by Lurcher
I have a simple rule for anyone but family and close friends. They pay, I play.

How does guitar shopping work?
Quote by just17n8
non-guitarist: back in black works eeeverytime

guitarist: eugene's trick bag works eeeevytime

hot chickcs: hey there delyla or im yours (or the latest trendy song out there)

I play that when ppl ask me to play cuz I hate that general "just play"
But I'll quit and go to something else that impresses non-guitarists (Haste the Day riffs, Parkway Drive stuff, etc.) and if it's guitarists, I'll just ply small bits from songs no one really knows...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Some tapping thing if they are a guitarist. For nons, I play Sweet Child.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I usually play something totally odd and creative. That will impress everyone.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay