Page 1 of 3
I really like Drop C# (D flat), and Drop A#... C# sharp cause its got a good range and its pretty close to standard, but you can still make something really hard out of it... A# cause it's cause that awesome black metal dronetone ... Play Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh by Celtic Frost and you can get a good idea of how it sounds...
Schecter Omen-6
ESP LTD V-500
Line 6 Spider III
I like half-step down tuning, because it's not to hard to get to, and it makes your guitar sound so rich and full.

Also, quarter-step tuning when I'm feeling frisky
can't remember the name of the tuning, but it's basically got a flipped tuning. so insted of eadgbe, it's daggad or something. can't remember it right now. all I know is it's really cool to play slide in.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
I use to tune my Axe straight down to b standard and occasionally dropped it to drop A. B standard is probably my favorite tuning by far.
Quote by Wicked Rose
can't remember the name of the tuning, but it's basically got a flipped tuning. so insted of eadgbe, it's daggad or something. can't remember it right now. all I know is it's really cool to play slide in.

dadgad? thats celtic tuning rite?
Schecter Omen-6
ESP LTD V-500
Line 6 Spider III
Standard, I hate the sound of muddy drop tuned guitars, it's retarded, chords sound monotone and lifeless, but with a good amp and standard tuning, there's this high rich slicing overdrive backed with a roar that hits you in the face.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Standard ftw
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
My all time favorite is half a step down. I'm a simple man.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Karnivool Tuning!!!

EDIT: It's B F# B G B E

Kinda like dropped B and standard hybrid, killer sounds.
Last edited by silverchairman at Jul 6, 2009,
Standard, Drop C, D Standard.

I mostly play in Drop C and D Standard, though. It's not all nasty and muddy like Drop B, but it's still low enough for that cool sound that I'm looking for.
Standard step and a half down. I can't stand drop D etc.
Matter is void. All is vanity. All is nothing. Nothing exists.

But damn does whisky rule
Standard.
If something is nothing it must not be something in any possible way
B standard on a seven. BEADGBE

You can have that low,(defined) sound as well as being able to play in E Standard.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Standard. I hate re-tuning. You should be able to play every genre in standard, it's just that some hardcore metal bands have to go ultra low just to show how hardcore they are, and some of the instant guitar players (alternate rock) recorded an album before learning to play a proper powerchord so they had to use drop tunings.
standard and half a step down.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Most of the time I stick with Standard for my songs, but I can get some really nice Half-Step Down riffs sometimes.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
There are ten or so alternate tunings that I use regularly when playing acoustic, though I rarely play electric in a tuning other than standard. Most of the tunings I use for the acoustic I discovered by learning Michael Hedges music, his playing has been a huge influence on me.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Jesstaa
Standard, I hate the sound of muddy drop tuned guitars, it's retarded, chords sound monotone and lifeless, but with a good amp and standard tuning, there's this high rich slicing overdrive backed with a roar that hits you in the face.

Or how about you don't try to tune down a guitar that's not stringed with heavy gauge strings.

Quote by lockdown91
Standard. I hate re-tuning. You should be able to play every genre in standard, it's just that some hardcore metal bands have to go ultra low just to show how hardcore they are, and some of the instant guitar players (alternate rock) recorded an album before learning to play a proper powerchord so they had to use drop tunings.

The reason I play drop is actually to AVOID boring powerchords, because alternations on the powerchords (or well, 3string-chords) are either difficult or close to impossible without playing in drop so. Personally, heavy duty powerchord songs should be in drop in order to be able to do some variation.
Last edited by Warwolt at Jul 6, 2009,
i mostly like D tuning, Drop C, Drop B, and Standard Tuning
I like drop B a lot cos the low E becomes a B, and it gives it a heavy tone
and D tuning cos its ez to get to
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
I like standard and Half step down. Mostly for the same reasons listed above. That and retuning is annoying and I can't figure out how to get to some of the tunings with my Korg GA-20 tuner.
I like half step and C sharp. Both my guitars live in half step and I drop my acoustic to C sharp sometimes when I feel like being lazy with power chords on it.
Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss SD-1
Marshall MG15DFX

Quote by pwrmax
Kerry King always solos in the key of Satan

Quote by Zach Dunn
just need something meaty like a chubby vagina, yet less bassy and and more trebly.
Quote by lockdown91

But there are certain things that work a lot better in drop D.
eg. Power chord hammerons, power chord harmonics.

Going lower is kind of ridiculous/un-necessary though.
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
How does tuning to C# make anything harder?

It's still the same ****ing intervals as every other standard tuning.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
How does tuning to C# make anything harder?

It's still the same ****ing intervals as every other standard tuning.

It doesn't, who said that?
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by eggo_boi_15
It doesn't, who said that?

Quote by summonerking_08
C# sharp cause its got a good range and its pretty close to standard, but you can still make something really hard out of it...

and even if he means "heavy" by "hard", riffs don't get heavier by lower tunings, they get heavier by rythms and interval choice.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
and even if he means "heavy" by "hard", riffs don't get heavier by lower tunings, they get heavier by rythms and interval choice.

Did he mean C# drop or C# standard? cos if he meant the latter...then....wut

EGGEDIT:
You can make anything sound heavy with some EQ'ing. Also, the riff itself helps in that
This band have never stopped using E standard. But it sounds heavy doesn't it?

An example of how you can have heavy sounding riffs without down-tuning your guitar for the metul n00blets out there
Quote by dark&broken

Last edited by eggo_boi_15 at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by eggo_boi_15

An example of how you can have heavy sounding riffs without down-tuning your guitar for the metul n00blets out there

Metallica and Megadeth are prime examples as well
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Metallica and Megadeth are prime examples as well

Ah yes, how could I forget!

I think E standard is 'coming back' in metal. Not as many new bands (that I've seen anyway) are using drop tuning anymore. My band uses drop D occasionally, but stay in standard 90% of the time.
Quote by dark&broken

Quote by eggo_boi_15
Ah yes, how could I forget!

I think E standard is 'coming back' in metal. Not as many new bands (that I've seen anyway) are using drop tuning anymore. My band uses drop D occasionally, but stay in standard 90% of the time.

I'd love to as well but my guitar can't take the tension in E standard so I have to go D standard...
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I'd love to as well but my guitar can't take the tension in E standard so I have to go D standard...

Ah, well either way, it's still a standard tuning.

I think in the two styles of tuning, drop and standard, they both have different aspects. I like to use them both, but 'heavyness' doesn't come into it
Quote by dark&broken

I like to tune down a whole step (D tuning).
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Page 1 of 3