After hearing a man play one of these things I've decided that it is completely necessary for me to own one. However, I've read that due to the circuit board being right under the switches you're pretty much destroying your pedal a little every time you press a switch..but I've also read that newer models (circa '04-'09) are made differently and don't break frequently.

I'm really worried that I'll end up wasting my money on a lemon if I buy this, but it sounds sooo nice. Could anyone shed some insight on whether or not this is really a reliable pedal please??
Last edited by kurtshapedbox at Jul 6, 2009,
Speaking from personal experience, I've had no issues with mine for the six months I've owned it. Bought it new, so it's probably an '08 model - honestly, I haven't bothered to check. No gigging with it thusfar, so I haven't been stomping the hell out of the thing, but I play with it fairly extensively at least every other day (I'd say ... 8-12 hours a week, all told?) and it's held up well. No problems to speak of, other than it's a bit dirty right now and I should probably take a cloth to it. I honestly couldn't be happier with mine.

I'm not so sure how comfortable I'd be with it on stage. But I've never really been one to abuse my pedals, so I'm reasonably sure it would be fine. It's got a fairly sturdy build, so unless you're wailing on it like it's the cockroach that ate your mom, I don't think you'll have any problems. But that's all just my opinion, so you'll probably want to ask around a bit more.

I will say this, though: get the adapter. Battery power will get you nowhere with that thing.
In a gig, someone put the power adaptor lead into one of the input jacks and it melted mine terribly, it on'ly worked when it fancied it from that moment on. However, that said, I'm looking to replace it with one of the newer models (with the newer Line 6 logo on it). It's a pedal I couldn't do without a few years ago.
The whole PCB mounted thing is overblown.

As long as you don't stomb the hell out of your switches then it will be fine.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Quote by Sguit
Get the TC nova delay instead
/thread

Yeah sure. I hear the looping on the nova delay is awesome.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
I owned one for about eight months and didn't have any problems with it. Mine was ancient, I know I was the third owner AT LEAST and it had zero issues. I think as long as you baby it, it ought to be fine.

If you're concerned about reliability, there's a guy on Harmony Central named drasp who does some REALLY good mods, including upgrading the switches.
^+1. It's an expensive mod but if youre a tonefreak, this is an absolute must. After i get a new amp, this is definitely next on my list.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
mine was an '07 model and it died about a year after i bought it. just after the warranty expired...
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
BTW does the dl4 allow you to loop without delay?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
yes but if you wanted to actually use delay, you only get to use the digital delay with modulation (the modulation can also be turned on and off with the knobs)
Ah right, I'll prob get the nova repeater anyway as this is soo expensive.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
so you were looking for a looper and not a delay pedal?

edit: oops, the repeater is a delay
Thanks for the replies so far guys, it's much appreciated!

Does anyone here know anything for sure about whether or not the newer models are actually made better/different?