I need to build me a bass for my Extended project AS, and i'm thinking of experimenting a wee bit with interchangeable pickups/fretboards.

Has anyone tried this, or heard of a guitar/bass with interchangeable boards?

I had a quick peek on google and hagstrom made a guitar with interchangeable pickups, and i'm sure that Dan Armstrong plexi had interchangable pickups, but i didn't find anyone making interchangeable boards.
Quote by guitarcam123
why would you want interchangeable fretboards?

Yeah, I don't think it would really change much... Maybe you could have one scalloped ebony neck and one maple?

How would you make it interchangeable? That would have some effect on sustain, I think.
Quote by guitarcam123
plus they'd have to be the same scale length etc

Yeah. Sounds like much more trouble than its worth.
interchangeable pickups would be awesome, fretboards.........
I don't think interchangeable boards are such a good idea. The only way i can imagine you being able to do it is if you made the neck out of a synthetic material like carbon fibre. That would be hugely expensive like hundreds of pounds and i doubt your school would have the facilities to actually make the neck into the desired shape.

Pickups interchangeable aren't such a bad idea but you'd have to make/modify some yourself to work as well as build/modify a guitar to make it work. I should imagine you could terminate the cables coming out of a few standard humbuckers to fit in a socket which goes to the rest of the guitar wiring but that wouldn't solve the issue of how to fit it in. You'd have to make some sort of cover for it that you could fit a humbucker in and slide it into place.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
there wouldn't be much point for guitars, but maybe for basses. fretted and fretless on one bass possibly.

that's a good point about sustain, i may have to experiment on an old guitar i have lying around. i don't think scale length would be a problem, if i buy a preslotted board and a blank board because the scale will be right on the fretted one and as long as the intonation is the same i think the fretless one won't be a problem

thanks for the input
I've seen a video on youtube of a bass with a single neck which can alternate between fretted and fretless by hitting a little switch.

Not sure how it worked though.
Why not just an interchangable neck?

And what guitar doesn't already have interchangable pickups? I suppose you could make it a little simpler though.
gibson made a LP that had quick change pickups. it had holes right through to the back where the pickups go. they had a little wood plate to hold the pickup with a connector from a 9volt lol. you just press in the pickup and the 9volt connector was the only thing holding it in place. it did not have batteries. just that style of connector. damn I wish I saved pictures from that ebay auction.

fretboards is a NO cause you would need a good amount of finish work setting it up everytime you swap. also, if the fretboard isn't glued on where is the sustain? and where is the strength? I like the idea of frets going up and down. thats almost possible with no ill affects. but seriously just make a bolt on bass with a long pocket and you will be fine.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Last edited by fullsailstudent at Jul 6, 2009,
If you're going to do this, you'll need something that leaves the fingerboard and connection to the guitar rock solid whilst it's in place. Otherwise, you'll dampen a lot of your vibrations, and sustain will go out of the window.
I had an idea of interchangable pickups before, however I never quite got around the problem of changing them 'quickly' without unstringing the guitar, having a big hole for them to slide out of, or an access panel in the back of the guitar.

I'd be curious to know how you'd get it done, but otherwise it'd be a great idea.
Fast swappable pickups wouldn't be too difficult, but a fingerboard sure would be.
For swappable fretboards, you would have to either mount the nut directly on the neck, or if you mount it on the fingerboard (the usual method) then you would have to remove the strings to change fretboards. And if you have to remove the strings, then you might as well make two swappable bolt-on necks like Metalhead_28 said.
interesting idea with the board.

i figure, there's always a gap between the fretwire and the strings, if you could make some sort of attach and release mechanism you could theoretically 'unclip' the fretboard, slide it out, slide in the new one and 'clip' it up.

as far as the use goes, where you thinking like a fretless and fretted? that could be pretty cool.

the headstock and neck could stay in place, the fingerboard would essentially just be held ontop of it. i can't think of any problems with this.
everyone in this thread just got owned. sometimes i'm glad my own stupidity can coax out the genius in others.
Quote by squidlips
everyone in this thread just got owned. sometimes i'm glad my own stupidity can coax out the genius in others.

Actually if you'd read the thread you would have seen that most people didn't think this was a good idea; only you and the TS actually got "owned".
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by squidlips
everyone in this thread just got owned.
o rly? From where I sit, most of the replies seem to suggest there would be problems with interchangeable boards. Almost everyone seems to be vindicated at this point, not owned.

Quote by squidlips
sometimes i'm glad my own stupidity can coax out the genius in others.
Don't put your arm out of joint, patting yourself on the back.
It doesn't appear that anything you said coaxed anything...

EDIT: lol, Sarge. We're def on the same page on this one, eh?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
EDIT: lol, Sarge. We're def on the same page on this one, eh?

haha I think you're the first person to actually call me Sarge on here. Have a super mario cookie

Quote by Charleston
thanks all for the replies... i guess it's back to the drawing board for me

TS I don't think it's entirely back to square one. I know why you're trying to be ambitious for your AS project, i did Product Design AS myself and i got a U, probably because my build wasn't "out of the box thinking" enough. Having said that, I think that the fretboard idea is just too ambitious to pull off using in only 10 months using only the resources in your school.

I reckon the marksmen would be much more impressed if you spent 100% of your time on this in designing a really good modular pickup system, like one where you can quickly convert any sort of pickup to work into your guitar, you could have different recepticles for different shapes of pickups like MM, Jazz, soapbar etc... with terminals that the wires slot into so you can use any type of pickup, then the terminals on the recepticles slot into the terminals on the bass.

wow, i really FUCKING wish i'd done something like this myself XD
EH

Last edited by eddiehimself at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by David Collins
AS project?

After School?
Action Script?
American Samoa?
Asperger Syndrome?

IHNIWYTAH.......

advanced subsidary
Quote by eddiehimself
haha I think you're the first person to actually call me Sarge on here. Have a super mario cookie
lol. teh cookie haz found its way back to meh.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19263677
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I think interchangeable necks would be a more sensible and simple solution.
Couldn't you run an air line into the neck and just use air pressure to raise and lower the frets?
Quote by Slay 'Em
I think interchangeable necks would be a more sensible and simple solution.

yeah, exactly. a fretboard is too thin by itself to be really safe after it's been removed from the neck. it would probably be subject to some warp. BUT if you wanted to get ridiculously custom you could make a metal fretboard. could sound awesome, could sound awful (better chance) but you'd be safe from warpage. plus if you hated it you could throw a wooden fretboard on the neck and never worry about the metal one again.

it just might be kind of hard to get everything perfect. i don't know anything about metalworking.
Quote by astro0930
Couldn't you run an air line into the neck and just use air pressure to raise and lower the frets?
wow, that's not an easy task to accomplish.
But I really like the creativity behind the thinking.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
lol. teh cookie haz found its way back to meh.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19263677

i was just going to say I already ate that one!

TS, i just had an idea
You could have a big rare earth magnet inlaid into the neck and the back of the fretboard so you can just pull it off and snap the fretboard in place. You would though have to be very precise when inlaying the magnets so they line up perfectly.
Although I don't care/like the idea of an interchangeable fretboard...

You could use the nut as one point of contact and a block hanging from the underside of the board that would fit into a pocket on the neck. If the block could somehow lock into the neck, then the tension of the strings on the nut would keep the lower frets in place?

EDIT: to the guy above me... wouldn't a strong magnet located in the neck pull the strings towards it or cause them to vibrate strangely?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jul 6, 2009,
eddiehimself and SomeoneYouKnew, maybe you should tune up your reading comprehension. Or maybe just your humor detectors a little bit.