Complex, fast and shredding guitar solos are cool. There is no doubt about that. Hearing Hendrix, Van Halen or Herman Li playing those really fast guitar parts is just awesome. But this is not what makes a great guitarist.

The fast and complex solos are cool. But it is really difficult to put your shredding guitar solos into context - making them sound musically good. A good guitarist can, but it isn't the most important thing.

The best guitarists are those that can write and compose guitar parts to a song and make it sound great. It doesn't even have to be difficult. Often the simpler parts sound better than the complex parts.

In my opinion it is more important to be able to play guitar and make it sound great than it is to play guitar impressively. This is why guitarists like Matthew Bellamy (Muse), Adam Jones (Tool), Tom Morello (RATM), David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) and many others are great guitarists. They have the ability to write and compose music and make it sound good without being necessarily over complex.

The best guitarists are those who make the music.
Last edited by 1nSingularity at Aug 21, 2009,
John Petrucci!!!! He can shred along all night but still make it sound good, an amazing guitarist!
Tom Morello on the other hand, HAHA! When he tries to shred it sound horrible! He takes some strange notes that make it sound like crap, otherwise he is good!
A great guitarist can not only play a bunch of arppegios uber fast but can compose pieces with feeling, and actualy know a whole lot of theory and thus know how t create and release certain tensions and feelings during compsing or improvising. Guitarists such as Joe Pass, Al Di Meola, John Mclaghlin, and hundreds of other jazz greats that are overlooked becasue they don't play drop D. These are great guitarists
From a modern point people like John Frusciante, Matt Bellamy and Prince are all great guitarists
Why Quote Thom Yorke as a great guitarist. Johnny Greenwood is the lead guitarist of Radiohead is far better. Don't get me wrong, Thom is ****ing good but Johnny is out of this world.

Tom Morello is incredible, and does something with the guitar that no one else does, which just shows how much of an innovator he is. The style of music he plays suits the kind of sounds he produces...

The Edge of U2 is one of the most under-rated guitarists ever... Especially live.

But yeah, i agree with everything you've said TS. But where are going with this?
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.
Strictly speaking, it wasn't a question, it had no question mark. It was just a title to WOT.
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.
Quote by D1D8ING
John Petrucci!!!! He can shred along all night but still make it sound good, an amazing guitarist!
Tom Morello on the other hand, HAHA! When he tries to shred it sound horrible! He takes some strange notes that make it sound like crap, otherwise he is good!
No. Tom Morello is awesome, because he doesn't need to shred. He makes simple guitar sound awesome
Quote by Epiphone'sRock
A great guitarist can not only play a bunch of arppegios uber fast but can compose pieces with feeling, and actualy know a whole lot of theory and thus know how t create and release certain tensions and feelings during compsing or improvising. Guitarists such as Joe Pass, Al Di Meola, John Mclaghlin, and hundreds of other jazz greats that are overlooked becasue they don't play drop D. These are great guitarists
From a modern point people like John Frusciante, Matt Bellamy and Prince are all great guitarists
That is the exact point I was trying to make.
Pretty redundant thread tbh, your opinion of what makes a great guitarist isn't really valid to prove what makes a great guitarist. I think alot of people would put hendrix and van halen above Matt Bellamy, Thom Yorke, Jeff Martin on a list of "great guitarists". Being a great guitarist primarilty mean being good on guitar, now being a great musician that is a whole other kettle of fish.
Quote by Helpy Helperton
Pretty redundant thread tbh, your opinion of what makes a great guitarist isn't really valid to prove what makes a great guitarist. I think alot of people would put hendrix and van halen above Matt Bellamy, Thom Yorke, Jeff Martin on a list of "great guitarists". Being a great guitarist primarilty mean being good on guitar, now being a great musician that is a whole other kettle of fish.
Maybe. But put it this way: what is the point of being awesome at playing guitar if you can't get it to sound good?

Also, I didn't say Hendrix and Van Halen are bad, or worse than the others I picked. I just picked some guitarists who play fast complex solos.
Last edited by 1nSingularity at Jul 6, 2009,
Who´s the best? Easy, the player you best like.

It´s obvious that Page, Van Halen and the likes were revolutionary and in a league of their own. But I am pretty sure they could take some classes from Steve Vai where it comes to playing fast and technical and Kurt Cobain wouldn´t even make the preselection to enter the class room (nevertheless a great one for the guitar world).
Quote by 1nSingularity
Maybe. But put it this way: what is the point of being awesome at playing guitar if you can't get it to sound good?

Also, I didn't say Hendrix and Van Halen are bad, or worse than the others I picked. I just picked some guitarists who play fast complex solos.

What's good? Good to you is different than good to me, it's subjective which is why you can't argue for favorite guitar players.

great guitarist = someone great on guitar
great musician = someone great at writing music
Last edited by Helpy Helperton at Jul 7, 2009,
CHUCK BERRY CAN SHRED! Along with Eddy Van Halen, Jimmy Hendrix, and Carlos Santana. If you were to put them in our day they would destroy all these little "New Age Rock" bands.
I think what makes a guitarist great is compassion,able to write his or her own music, ability to actually make the song sound good without overpowering any other instrument or the rest of the band.Also it takes determination and dedication to be great. You would also be willing to practice and be willing to make sacrifices to making yourself better.
Quote by Helpy Helperton
What's good? Good to you is different than good to me, it's subjective which is why you can't argue for favorite guitar players.

great guitarist = someone great on guitar
great musician = someone great at writing music
I know. This is what I think is a good guitarist, and I think it's more important than being able to play the instrument well.
Why is it nearly everyone on this site thinks that being able to 'shred' (Urgh! I hate that word!) makes you a good guitarist?????????

David Gilmour for example, one of the best guitarists EVER! and have any of you EVER heard him 'shredding' his guitar? no, and you never will. Same with the likes of the edge from U2, Nick mcCabe from the verve, etc, etc.

i have learnt a friend a couple of scales and now he can play them super fast, thus 'shredding'! but he cant play guitar! nothing thats nice to listen to anyway!
does this mean he's an outstanding guitarist??????
As a multi-instrumentalist, I'll tell you. The right sound in the right place, regardless of the instrument, is the goal of any musician.
Quote by tilinmyowngrave
The Edge of U2 is one of the most under-rated guitarists ever... Especially live.

I completely agree, and Bono isn't a bad singer either. I always thought U2 were less than the sum of their parts...
Variety is something that IMO makes a great guitarist. I mean, a real lot of variety. For example, Matthew Bellamy (Muse) - Stockholm Syndrome, Falling Away With You, Darkshines, Micro Cuts, Showbiz, Knights of Cydonia, etc... just off the top of my head, and they all incorporate different styles - and makes them sound good.

But he's a great musician period, the variety expands to other songs like Space Dementia (no guitar at all). Great musicians, that's another things though.

John Petrucci (Dream Theater) plays well both slow and fast; for guitar solos, at least. For guitar solos, emotion is something that makes a great guitarist there IMO. John Petrucci again, combines shredding and emotion, to make some seriously awesome solos - the outro solo to Octavarium literally makes me stop what I'm doing and listen to it. xD

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) may not have an overly huge variety, but the emotion he uses in his solos, is good too. In his case, this might be another point - the right sound at the right point. His solo in Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2 just mixes so well with the synths in the background. His solo in Money is another one that begs for listening - it not only has great emotion (bends and vibrato done quite well), but goes along with the bass guitar and the drums, to the point of amazement.

And perhaps a bit of experimentation here and there, just sounding different from the masses is another thing that makes a great guitarists - ironically, there's more examples here than I feel like adding. :P
Last edited by Shoj_ at Jul 13, 2009,