i'm planning on working toward the rockschool guitar grade exams, but i was wondering on what grade i should start on? Can anyone assists me on that area? Cause i'm concerned that if i start for example from grade 3, i'd miss out on the content from debut to grade 2. Is that a real concern for the future grades or my learning progress?

And another thing is whether rockschool is self-studiable? because I might not be able to find a teacher that is willing to teach the rockschool syllabus or have experience in that particular area.

Lastly, if i dooo decide on taking the different grades, should i just work through the grades and take a final exam for grade 8? or should i take every grade? or should i start taking from grade 6 and on? I'd really appreciate if anyone can help. but if you cannot just kindly offer what you can. thank you for taking time of to read this thread.

regards.
firstly what level guitarist are you, cuz that will impact on what grade should be started on, and also you will need grade 5 Theory before you can take the 6,7, or 8 guitar exam but you can still obv study them from the books
Yes its self-studiable, and I believe the syllabus is kind of cumulative - grade 3 builds on grade 2, so you won't miss anything by starting at grade 3. If you're not having lessons I'd be tempted to do the exams as you go along as you'll get some feedback that way.
i did the rockschool grades for a bit and i started on grade 3, at that point though i had been playing for 4 years, how long have you been playing for?
Quote by Hetfieldjr
i did the rockschool grades for a bit and i started on grade 3, at that point though i had been playing for 4 years, how long have you been playing for?
How long he's been playing for is irrelevant - if he's good enough to start on grade 3 he should start on grade 3.
hey thanks a lot guys for the quick reply. i've been playing classical for one whole school year. and i'm around grade 5 level now.

epiphone's rock, rockschool offers grade 5 theory? really?

thanks again for the quick replies.
Beserker,
I hope to accomplish a grade level of 8, while acquiring self-beneficial skills that can be used for personal and public gain.
If i was you I'd get the music for grade 3 and see if you can sightread it. If you can, try grade 4 etc

imo grades are a good way of learning stuff in a logical order, and making sure you don't miss anything fundamental out on the way. You should also get some good feedback if you take the exams. Plus if you are still at school, music exam results count towards academic exam results - you get UCAS points above a certain grade, which helps you get to your choice of university. If you want a career in music they also give people a baseline of what you can do.

Its worth learning theory whether or not you do theory exams too - and if you're doing music at school its worth at least doing theory papers, even if you don't formally sit the exam, as it will probably be pretty similar to the questions you'll get at school for music.
i can kinda sightread actually notations on my guitar, cause i play classical. but thanks a lot.
what's 'imo'. i'm sorry i'm not really knowledgable in this area. and i'm not too concerned about attaining UCAS points, so that's out of the picture.
and i think i'll consider theory in the future.
thanks a lot.
If you play classical guitar then the rockschool syllabus is useless, take the ABRSM one,which is meant for classical guitar, which makes rockschool look like a joke.
griffRG7321,
i'm looking to start playing electric if you haven't noticed.
thanks though.

zhilla,
so if i were to get a teacher, when should i start taking exams?
grade 5 theory will be abrsm but it still required for higher grades i think, if not kwl, but abrsm are a better board and worth more if you want to become a session player etc
If you get a teacher tell them at the start that you want to do exams, ask them what exam board they recommend unless you specifically want to do rockscholl, and let them tell you when you're ready.

When I said if you can sightread it, I kinda meant of you can play it straight off its probably too easy to be any challenge to you, and its worth looking at the next grade up. But if you get a decent teacher they'll tell you waht grade you should start at.

Oh, and imo means 'in my opinion'
i'm planning on working toward the rockschool guitar grade exams, but i was wondering on what grade i should start on?
you should start from the 1st grade but you should work on more than one book at a time if you feel comfortable doing this .
i have passed grade 8 rockschool and i still find grade 1 still useful .

Can anyone assists me on that area?
it will help if they can test your theory,aural awareness,performance skills and techniques , you might find some time give you thier time to do this for free , but to do it a level of depth near to that of an examiner realistically you would have to pay for it , maybe i am wrong ??
Cause i'm concerned that if i start for example from grade 3, i'd miss out on the content from debut to grade 2. Is that a real concern for the future grades or my learning progress?
you can always go back , and understanding how grades progress will help you should you wish to teach.

And another thing is whether rockschool is self-studiable?
to a point yes , maybe even to pass, its very hard to assess your own playing objectively , the teaching cycle is assess,diagnose,prepare,instruct .
if a doctor breaks his wrist will he mend it himself ?

because I might not be able to find a teacher that is willing to teach the rockschool syllabus or have experience in that particular area.

Lastly, if i dooo decide on taking the different grades, should i just work through the grades and take a final exam for grade 8?
that would be the quicker , maybe more stressful option ...
or should i take every grade?
depends on if you enjoy the exams !
or should i start taking from grade 6 and on?
grade 5-6 requires a big shift in marturity, performance experience , ideally you want to be in a positition where you have a fair amount of experience playing to and engauging an audience , im my opinion ...
I'd really appreciate if anyone can help. but if you cannot just kindly offer what you can. thank you for taking time of to read this thread.

regards.
Last edited by ibanez1511 at Jul 6, 2009,
okay, thanks a lot guys. (zhilla and ibanez1511). I'll take your opinions into consideration.
regards.
Hey guys,
Could you enlighten me on the content of each Rockschool grade book by sending me a .pdf of let's say grade 1 exam book, so that i get a clearer picture of what the book actually provides you with. It'll also help me decide if self-study is one of my options too. But if you're not okay with it, since you actually paid for the book, would you mind giving me a more in-depth description of the book, because the syllabus guide doesn't really do much.
If you are willing to assists me, please send me a private message and i'll provide you with my email address.

Thanks and regards.