Poll Options
View poll results: Headbanging is.....
cool.
54 24%
gay.
32 14%
only cool if there's heavy music.
96 43%
only cool if you're the musician playing heavy music.
42 19%
Voters: 224.
Page 1 of 3
Just wanted to know what people's opinion was on headbanging. Personally, I think it's kinda gay, and just makes you look like a poser.... I mean, I can see it if you're the one playing the music. It might just be because most people in my area ARE posers, but w/e. So, what do you think?
How can the action of moving ones heads back & forth have a sexuality?

I think its silly, certainly not "gay" though.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Depends on what scale, if I'm enjoying a band I'll tend to nod my head to the beat, if I'm in a club arsing about I'll throw myself around like a twat.
Headbanging to me is a huge metal tradition. Metal or hard rock as we know it wouldn't be the same without it. As for doing it myself, it tends to come natural occasionally.
Quote by ub3r_bassist666
How can the action of moving ones heads back & forth have a sexuality?

I think its silly, certainly not "gay" though.

Gay in a negative context does not exclusively mean homosexual anymore. Get over it. Headbanging = gay.
Depends how one defines headbanging. I don't throw myself up and down, but I do nod with the beat and such when I play or listen to good ****. So, yes. Headbanging is a part of metal, period.
Quote by GerGuam
Gay does not exclusively mean homosexual anymore. Get over it. Headbanging = gay.

Oh OK, I'll just refer to gay people as faggots from now on, shall I? Faggot no longer means bundle of branches, after all, they'd never find it offensive.

TS, if you listen to Future Breed Machine and don't need to headbang, you're weird.
Quote by LightYourFire
Go with the flow.... do what your emotions tell you
btw the "poser" theory is stupid unless it is some hardcore head banging which I don't get.

It isn't a theory; take one of my friends for example. He wears Metallica shirts, but I actually asked him to name 3 of their songs, so he named two that were on a couple of Guitar Heros and then couldn't think of anything else. Me and a different friend brough up Lars Ulrich, and he had no idea what we were talking about. He tries slow-mo headbanging to ANYTHING that comes on the radio, and actually thinks he looks cool doing it. He thinks he's cool for naming any Slipknot or Disturbed song that comes on the radio.... need I continue?
I think that its cool as long as you are in the mood get carried away by the moment, like when you are watching to a really rocking tune live, and the song is reaching a climax and its really epic, and you see the guitarrist headbanging, its really cool then. So as the other guy here said, its a tradition. but def not if the guy is called Joe Jonas and he is doing it, he should be shot if he ever does it in one of his queer songs.... dam i hate that kak band.
Quote by GerGuam
Gay in a negative context does not exclusively mean homosexual anymore. Get over it. Headbanging = gay.

I take extreme offense to that

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Quote by ricv2106
I think that its cool as long as you are in the mood get carried away by the moment, like when you are watching to a really rocking tune live, and the song is reaching a climax and its really epic, and you see the guitarrist headbanging, its really cool then. So as the other guy here said, its a tradition. but def not if the guy is called Joe Jonas and he is doing it, he should be shot if he ever does it in one of his queer songs.... dam i hate that kak band.

This is kind of what I mean; if it's really just because of the energy, then yeah, go ahead, it's only right. But most of the people around here do it because they think it's cool. They'll headbang to the gayest ****ing radio songs (and we have a station in the area that plays only pop and rap, as in jonas brothers, hannah montana, and all the rappers who I don't even want to bring myself to name, so I say radio song with the most hatred possible).
Similarly, if this doesn't make you want to headbang, I think you just don't get how heavy music works, darling.
Quote by webbtje
Similarly, if this doesn't make you want to headbang, I think you just don't get how heavy music works, darling.

Oh, goosebumps ahoy for that intro.

Holy Jesus God, piracy awaits!
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I could not afford to feed myself without Spotify, especially as the number of relatively unknown artists they have is getting bigger.
I love headbanging anyhow, yeah it looks silly, but it's just great fun. It's just another form of dancing anyway, different styles of music make you move in different ways, when I hear a blisteringly heavy riff - such as Sangreal by Septic Flesh as Webb kindly linked - it's just infectious, and I can't help it.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I know, I have to keep myself from spending all my money on CDs, I woulda bought 50 odd in the last week otherwise
I think headbanging looks incredibly stupid, but if I'm drunk enough I'll do it anyway
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

*girl looks unimpressed*

"Because it looks like you landed on your face."
Quote by webbtje

Never heard of them before, but they sound awesome!

Thank you Webbtje

On topic: If I like the song being played and if it's rock/metal, then I'll headbang. I won't headbang if I can't feel the songs energy.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Last edited by eggo_boi_15 at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by webbtje

If said metal head doesnt headbang to this, there's something wrong with them.
Quote by Myfirstpubes
If said metal head doesnt headbang to this, there's something wrong with them.

Or indeed this.

This is basically turning into a 'most groovy riff' thread
it shows your support to a band. when i was playing my first gig it was a huge relief to see people banging their heads. i also do when i see mates bands and my favourite bands, but i'm usually pretty calm at local shows.

as for when i play, i can't play guitar and headbang when i'm drunk, but i can on bass...so i now play bass for my band.
edit: that isn't trying to be badarse, i just get terrible stage-fright when i'm sober.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Quote by freddaahh
I love headbanging anyhow, yeah it looks silly, but it's just great fun. It's just another form of dancing anyway, different styles of music make you move in different ways, when I hear a blisteringly heavy riff - such as Sangreal by Septic Flesh as Webb kindly linked - it's just infectious, and I can't help it.

I agree with this.
Jesus web, that song is fucking awesome. Torrents are firing up as we speak.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
didn't even think about that, it is ****ing fun.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Quote by CTFOD
Jesus web, that song is fucking awesome. Torrents are firing up as we speak.

Wait, which one
Quote by webbtje
Or indeed this.

Or this
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

You are clearly one of those guys who wants to fit in, and is scared to do something thats even the slightest bit innovative.

Thats most likely why you felt the need to consult an internet forum.
Quote by webbtje
Or indeed this.

good **** man.

But yeah, I think we're doing a good thing. Setting straight what real metal should be headbanged to. I think we'll be saving some people in this thread.

this

but more of a slow headbang
Quote by webbtje
Wait, which one

Septic Flesh. I'll listen to the other one in a jiffy.

EDIT: My Senseless Theory is also fucking awesome. It's quite wierd watching Frasier and listening to death metal simaultaneously.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Last edited by CTFOD at Jul 6, 2009,
headbanging is awesome, it's like dancing to the rhythm except that you can't really dance to metal and similar stuff, so naturally you just headbang. And it looks awesome when the entire crowd in concerts jump and headbangs.

The way I see it, headbanging is just feeling the powerful beat without the ability to dance to it.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by webbtje
Or indeed this.

When it comes to Destinity, I prefer this for pure chaos.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Page 1 of 3