Alright, I'm thinking some of you have seen my thread about getting a distortion pedal for my Spider III.... but now I just came up with a wonderful idea

I'm gonna go down to my local music store and sell him my spider AND my fbv express, and then with the money he gives back to me, I'm gonna buy a tube amp.
I paid 300 USD for my Spider III and 100 USD for the FBV Express. I've had the amp for about a year and the FBV Express I just got after Christmas with Christmas money. I'm thinking I may be able to get $200, maybe, for the amp and maybe $60-$70 for the FBV Express. How much would you guys say I could get for them? And also, what amp would you reccomend that's in that price range.

EDIT: you can go ahead and recommend a solid state amp.

EDIT2: Also, if you recommend a solid state, I'd want to go higher wattage, probably 40-60 watts
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jul 6, 2009,
I hate to say it, but you'll get 125-150 for the amp, and 30-40 for the FBV. There is not 30+ watt tube amp for that cheap. At least not new.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I hate to say it, but you'll get 125-150 for the amp, and 30-40 for the FBV. There is not 30+ watt tube amp for that cheap. At least not new.

o jesus.

Alright, for future repliers, i don't mind if its hybrid or solid state AS LONG AS IT SOUNDS GOOD!
I'd say don't worry about wattage. Look at Blackheart's small tube amps, Valve Juniors are pretty nice too. If you settle for a 5 watt you could get a really nice amp around that price. Don't be fooled, my Valve Junior is loud, especially through a 2x12.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Dont sell to the shop...
Theyll give you less money as they then need to sell it for a profit, so you'd get a very low price for it.

Try to sell it on Ebay or Craigslist, you'll get more money.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Quote by tubetime86
I'd say don't worry about wattage. Look at Blackheart's small tube amps, Valve Juniors are pretty nice too. If you settle for a 5 watt you could get a really nice amp around that price. Don't be fooled, my Valve Junior is loud, especially through a 2x12.

I will be playing gigs though, so will 5 watts be enough? (it would be hooked up into a cabinet, of course, which is why i didn't want anything higher than 40w lol.)
If you get a 2x12 you could definitely play gigs with it, it would have to be miced of course. I have played several times with a drummer with my 5 watt, and it does fine. Just don't expect it to stay clean that loud, but it's a nice natural overdrive.

Edit: I have a 1x12 also and it still very loud with that, but it just has a little more clarity and cuts through better with the 2x12. Though this may be because my 1x12 is a Eminence made for Blackheart, and my 2x12 has v30s...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
If you get a 2x12 you could definitely play gigs with it, it would have to be miced of course. I have played several times with a drummer with my 5 watt, and it does fine. Just don't expect it to stay clean that loud, but it's a nice natural overdrive.

Edit: I have a 1x12 also and it still very loud with that, but it just has a little more clarity and cuts through better with the 2x12. Though this may be because my 1x12 is a Eminence made for Blackheart, and my 2x12 has v30s...

okay, sounds good... i'll check out some 5 watters... but just in case, would you recommend any solid state amps for 200-300 bucks? somehwere aorund 40-50 watts?
Quote by tubetime86
If you get a 2x12 you could definitely play gigs with it, it would have to be miced of course.

If its miced, he could play with anything, even a Blackheart Killer Ant...

TS, if your gigs will have PA's, dont worry about wattage, if they dont, you'll want something a bit louder than a 5 watter. 15 would be nice, Tiny Terror comes to mind if you need more wattage.

What styles do you play? Becasue the TT isn't the most versatile amp out there...

Quote by Danyg
Quote by DiizZ
If its miced, he could play with anything, even a Blackheart Killer Ant...

TS, if your gigs will have PA's, dont worry about wattage, if they dont, you'll want something a bit louder than a 5 watter. 15 would be nice, Tiny Terror comes to mind if you need more wattage.

What styles do you play? Becasue the TT isn't the most versatile amp out there...

Blues/Rock

think Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Black Keys, The White Stripes, other similar bands. I also play some Guns N Roses, Slash's Snakepit, pretty much any bands Slash has been in haha.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
okay, sounds good... i'll check out some 5 watters... but just in case, would you recommend any solid state amps for 200-300 bucks? somehwere aorund 40-50 watts?

To be honest, not really. If you want to play gigs, with that price range I would go tube. There are some really nice SS amps out there, but not really that cheap. Unless you want to go modeler, but I think they sound too digital for gigs, just my opinion though. Go play a bunch of stuff, and see what you like. The main thing with 5 watters is the break-up. If I take my VJr past about 2/3 on the dial it starts breaking up. Although it gets pretty loud starting around 1/3... So you have a LITTLE room to play loud clean, but not much.

Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Blues/Rock

think Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Black Keys, The White Stripes, other similar bands. I also play some Guns N Roses, Slash's Snakepit, pretty much any bands Slash has been in haha.

Ya, for these the Valve Junior would work, but definitely play one first because they are very dark and some people don't like that. The blackhearts would be good for these too.

The Tiny Terror is way out of that price range.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jul 6, 2009,
If you're going to gig, I'd recommend saving a little more money first before going out and buying another amp. I'd save a few bucks and go for the Fender Blues Jr. A gig-worthy amp.

Just my 2¢
Gear:
Fender American Strat
Washburn Idol
Pitchblack > Cst OD > M5 > Flashback Tripple Delay > SIZE=1]Whirly Verb
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
Marshall 1960AV
I dont think you'll be able to gig with a VJ.

So budget is 200-300 US$? Mabye a modelling amp might be your only go unless you save up a few hundred more. You might be best to stick with your spider until you save up a decent budget.

But, a Peavey Vypyr 75 or 60 Tube would be quite good for your situation, if you cant wait to save up. Look into those, very good amps.

Quote by Danyg
Quote by Mr. Kyle
If you're going to gig, I'd recommend saving a little more money first before going out and buying another amp. I'd save a few bucks and go for the Fender Blues Jr. A gig-worthy amp.

Just my 2¢

Ya, this is really the best option. You get what you pay for.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by DiizZ

So budget is 200-300 US$? Mabye a modelling amp might be your only go unless you save up a few hundred more. You might be best to stick with your spider until you save up a decent budget.

But, a Peavey Vypyr 75 or 60 Tube would be quite good for your situation, if you cant wait to save up. Look into those, very good amps.

Well, from what I'l get from selling my amp, that's the amount of money i'll h ave... right now, in my wallet i have about 40 bucks, maybe i'll save up some more.
Quote by Mr. Kyle

Just my 2¢

I've considered going with a Fender Blues Jr., but I just had a feeling that I'd regret getting it... Since I've gotten some good opinions on it, I might get it. Its about 300 isnt it? slightly over?

Nevermind, just googled it... its 500.
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jul 6, 2009,
Blues Jrs go about $350 used...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
If you're short on cash, used is the way to go. Look at your Craigslist and find what you can.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by DiizZ

I've seen someone gig with a Peavey Backstage (10w solid state amp) Granted, it was mic'd but still.

Anything is possible with the magic of microphones.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I know you can gig with anything, if its miced. Which is why i said before you could gig with a Blackheart killer ant... I was talking unmiced though.

Yeah, i love PA's aswell, makes my HT-5 perfectly giggable, whcih IMO makes the amp near perfect for my needs.

Quote by Danyg
Alright, so I found a Fender Blues Junior for $300 on craigslist, but I don't have anything near that amount of money, so what to do? ask the guy to hold it for me until i get the money, or just wait until i have the money to start searching?
Offer him various sexual favors in addition to cash and gear?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I would try to go with something that you don't need to have miced up to gig with it.

In the end you might just need to save up a little more.

Also I would think about selling the Line6/pedal through Craiglist or something as local stores tend to rip you off on stuff like this.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
If you are hard up for cash, look for a used Peavy Bandit 112. Don't pay more than 200 for a newer one. Older one's in the $125 terrority. You'll need the footswitch too.
Being that I'm also a drummer and have played drums with people who tried using 5W tube amps. Take it from me when I say, the drummer will not hear you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com