Hey guys tried searching for topics on this one but none came up.

The question is does anyone know much about the Line 6 Spider Valve amp head and if they are any good? I am looking to purchase a valve amp but don't have a huge budget and i'm also looking to get a cabinet to pair it with. I have a budget of about $2500 AUD so any suggestions are welcomed

edit: I play Haste The Day style metalcore, a7x, and nofx, no use for a name etc punk

thanks

EDIT: OK to give you an idea of AU prices the cheapest Spider Valve I have found anywhere in Australia so far is $1179 USD
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jul 6, 2009,
Can you get Splawns in Australia? if you can, in that price range i would recommend a Splawn Nitro.
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
Quote by mechanix901
the valve isnt bad at all but you can do alottttttt with $2500 american, idk AUD

LOL yeah in a perfect world i'd have a Hughes & Kettner Warp X paired with an Orange cabinet but wat can ya do? Umm $2500 AUD is roughly $1800 US?

I just wanted to know if i'll be able to get a nice punchy metal tone from this amp being as the back end is Bogner designed?

EDIT: I don't know about Splawn i'm sure I could order one in but the prices on doing that are ridiculously high over here
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jul 6, 2009,
Since you mostly play one specific style, there are much better amps in the price range.

You should be able to find a used Mesa Boogie around $2000 - $2500 without too much trouble, although you might have to wait a while for one to pop up. I've spotted a Nomad on ebay and a Dual Rec on Gumtree for $2,200.
Also keep an eye out for a used Peavey Ultra, XXX or 5150, or maybe a Laney VH100R ot TT100.
^ Maybe you know this, if so I apologize, but Australia prices are whacked.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Thanks Kyle yeah i've looked into second hand gear but tbh dual recs are hard to find here NEW let alone used haha

i've been haunting ebay the last month or so but nothing. and as tube said, australian prices are whacked i'd probably end up paying the same amount for a used one on ebay as they are new...Aussies seem to be unfamiliar with the concept of depreciation
Maybe you could try to find a single rec?
Gear:
Fender American Strat
Washburn Idol
Pitchblack > Cst OD > M5 > Flashback Tripple Delay > SIZE=1]Whirly Verb
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
Marshall 1960AV
So the line 6 head you were talking about I actually got to play the other day when I started shopping for my new guitar. Now I do not know much about tube's or how drastic the quality is between head's but for the price i think it was a pretty good value, the head was 700 i think, and the cab was about the same. It has seriously like at least 100+ presets from legit artists, say like killswitch engage. the guitar player actually programed his type of sound into the presets(just that that was a neat kind of a feature to have)

With all that said, my friend actually ended up buying it that day with a peavy cab(sounded a bit better then the line 6 ca) 4x12's.

I think if i was to buy a head i'd be pretty tempted to go with a line 6 just for the price point factor and the options you get to go along with it. If you are looking for a top quality I've always loved mesa boogies. they are significantly more expensive though(just much better quality)

EDIT: http://line6.com/spidervalve/specifications.html

300 + presets lol. its pretty crazy, I really loved playing that line 6, I am tempted to try n get something like that when i get my new guitar at the end of the month... expensive though.
Last edited by Guitarplayer546 at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by Guitarplayer546
So the line 6 head you were talking about I actually got to play the other day when I started shopping for my new guitar. Now I do not know much about tube's or how drastic the quality is between head's but for the price i think it was a pretty good value, the head was 700 i think, and the cab was about the same. It has seriously like at least 100+ presets from legit artists, say like killswitch engage. the guitar player actually programed his type of sound into the presets(just that that was a neat kind of a feature to have)

With all that said, my friend actually ended up buying it that day with a peavy cab(sounded a bit better then the line 6 ca) 4x12's.

I think if i was to buy a head i'd be pretty tempted to go with a line 6 just for the price point factor and the options you get to go along with it. If you are looking for a top quality I've always loved mesa boogies. they are significantly more expensive though(just much better quality)

EDIT: http://line6.com/spidervalve/specifications.html

300 + presets lol. its pretty crazy, I really loved playing that line 6, I am tempted to try n get something like that when i get my new guitar at the end of the month... expensive though.

yeah a Dual Rec or a H&K would be my choice if I could afford it...

From the reviews i've seen the Spider Valve seems to be pretty good value and a fair bit of band for your buck, quality sounding bang at that! And to top it off they're easily accessible near me and I should be able to get at least $200 knocked off the price
Well if you haven't tried the spider valve's id say take a peak, they have some killer sounds in those puppies.
As mentioned above... if I got an Egnater Rebel 20 from the US, added the shipping cost and then converted it to AUD, it'd still be about half the price of buying it here.

That's what our prices are like, don't think you can convert USD to AUD and that's that... it's ridiculous.

You can still do a lot better than a Spider Valve for $2500AUD, but you won't get a Mesa or anything like that.

TS: I noticed you like A7x, Syn now uses JCM800s, you could probably get a combo for about that much. I know it's not typical of your style of music, but it may interest you. Otherwise, a Peavey 6505 combo might be up your alley.

If you want to look at Mesas, Muso's Corner in Newcastle, which is my local music shop not far from my place, has heaps of Single/Dual/Triple Recs and a few other Mesa amps, but from memory they're out of your price range.
I have the SpiderValve...aaaawesome amp if you want versatility but I'd guess that if you have a specific sound that there are better choices

If you are like me and are always experimenting with sounds, styles, and tones, the SV is a good choice

Edit: Just incase for some reason you do get the SV, why not just go with the 212? Same price as the head and you wont need to dish out another 700 for the cab
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Egnater Tweaker Combo
Last edited by Gmarkey at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by kyle62

http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sale-musical-instruments-Mesa-Boogie-Dual-Rectifier-2-Channel-Head-w-Footswitch-W0QQAdIdZ139944531

That's a Dual Rec, $2,200, in Sydney.
The advert's only two days old so you could probably get it if you email him asap.

Hope that helps!

I'd go for this rather than the Spider Valve.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
yeah i dont really like Line 6, its good for studio stuff i guess
DBZ Barchetta Eminent FR
DBZ Bolero ST
DBZ Imperial FM
DBZ Venom Matte Black
Dean '79 V
Dean '79 ML
Fender Princeton Chorus
Behringer V-Tone 2/12
Asterope Cables
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Hardware Metal Distortion
Last edited by shredmaster12 at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by shredmaster12
yeah i dont really like Line 6, its good for studio stuff i guess

Agreed. Even though the Dual Rectifier is like $1000 AUD more expensive, its also >9000 times better better than the Spider Valve. Don't get me wrong, the Spider Valve is ok, and I'm not one of those people who just mindlessly flames Spiders for no reason I've played the Spider Valve before. Its just that the Dual Rectifier is more versitile and will sound better.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
hey thanks for the replies that dual rec looks pretty sweet not too far from me either but as posted above the line 6 would give more versatility well i've played a dual rec before and loved it I guess I should try a spider valve too before I judge
Quote by AxSilentxLine
hey thanks for the replies that dual rec looks pretty sweet not too far from me either but as posted above the line 6 would give more versatility well i've played a dual rec before and loved it I guess I should try a spider valve too before I judge

The Spider valve is a good amp, but the Dual Rectifier blows it out of the water. You should only take our posts as suggestions, and not buy anything just because we say to. Play the Spider and make a decision for yourself. Even though the Spider has valves, all the presets sound pretty digital to me, and the distortion is nothing to write home about. imo, the rectifier is 1000 times better. Try to play the Spider as soon as you can, that dual rectifier might be picked up by someone else pretty quickly.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Yeah I am definitely in agreement with you that the Rectifier is a balls to the wall awesome amp but I'm on a pretty tight budget so close enough is good enough atm LOL
Close enough?!

IMO, it is almost disrespectful to the Dual Rec to compare it to a Spider Valve. They're not even in the same league.

Whatever suits you best though.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Close enough?!

IMO, it is almost disrespectful to the Dual Rec to compare it to a Spider Valve. They're not even in the same league.

Whatever suits you best though.

Agreed. You have already stated that the Rectifier is in your budget. Try the Spider Valve, set on fire, burn it, whatever, then buy the Dual Rectifier

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Eh, honestly, I like the Spider Valve much better than any 3 channel Recto I've played. 2 Channels however, are a different story.

I'll sell you my Warp X if you pay for shipping to Australia
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
spider valve 212 or get that mesa, you will prolly love it in the long run...besides you can do the fancy pedal boards if you want to that bad to get a certain sound out of it.
I reckon go with that Peavey XXX man, brutal yet versatile.
I've got a 5150II, and although i love it, its not the most versatile of amps.