Sup,

I recently bought myself a great Dean Vendetta XMT Electric Guitar for £175 (GBP) which works a treat, I'm loving it!

My friend offered me his old amp which was a Roland Micro Cube for £40 which wasn't a bad price! However, it doesn't have an overdrive/distortion option so I can't play things like metal.

I like playing both Alternative and Metal, but I'm trying to learn Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" solo, but does the guitar in this piece use distortion? If so, can anybody recommend a distortion pedal so it can be used in my amp? Looking for a price of under £50!

Thank you!
put the Microcube into the R-fier mode??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by GrumpyBrit
I have it doesn't sound the same

get a deizel VH4

or a Vypyr 30
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
ofcourse it doesnt. It's less than 1% of the price metallica pays for their amplifiers. Try to get a tone that's nice to the ears. Also, decent pedals under £50 hardly exist
the solo peice at the beggining doesnt use any distortion. other than that, I know metallica genreally uses a "scoop tone" with thier distortion (this may not be the correct term)

But with whatever distortion your using, set the treble and the bass almost even, and turn the mid all the way dwon to like a 1 to a 3 ( 7-9 o'clock)

This creates a "mid-scoop" for all your power chords, sounds nice.
Well, if the micro cube is that basic, you could look for an EQ pedal. That should give you a lot more tonal options
OK thank you - I'll bug you lot again in the future when I get money - this amp is pretty basic!
the song also use alot of compression in the beggining.
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
also, this really doesnt have anything to do with your question, but..

Learn the solo peice at the beggining with your fingers, and NOT a pick. This song sounds so much better when played with fingers, and is easier to me aswell. good luck.

BTW, you can generally find cheap digitech pedals that put off plenty of distortion.
I bought a Grunge pedal from Guitar Center a couple years ago, and I believe it was only about $30, and while some hate it, It still puts off better distortion and tone than your amplifiers overdrive will.
Quote by Vypor
the solo peice at the beggining doesnt use any distortion. other than that, I know metallica genreally uses a "scoop tone" with thier distortion (this may not be the correct term)

But with whatever distortion your using, set the treble and the bass almost even, and turn the mid all the way dwon to like a 1 to a 3 ( 7-9 o'clock)

This creates a "mid-scoop" for all your power chords, sounds nice.

I lol'd really hard
don't scoop your mids that low

i would say as a general guide go 8-6-10 if you want a bit of scooped mids
never drop your mids that low, play around with really scooped mids for like a few riffs, and then put some mids back in, you'll know what im talking about
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Quote by travs2448
the song also use alot of compression in the beggining.

And light chorus.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by GrumpyBrit
I have it doesn't sound the same

I think I found your issue...

You..

Bedroom

Micro Cube

Them..

Studio

Mesa Boogie Mk IIC+
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Jose Arrendondo modified 100 watt Marshall Head
Roland JC-120 combo
ADA MP1
ADA MQ1
Aphex Parametric EQ
Marshall 4x12
Mesa Boogie 4x12
Mesa Boogie 2x12

Bradshaw preamp-Used for lows and mids
VHT 2150 poweramp
Bogner Preamp
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
ADA MP1 Preamp
ADA MQ1 EQ
Purple 100 watt Marshall Super Lead-Used for "nice clean highs"
Modified 50 watt Marshall Super Lead-Used for "nice clean highs"
Late 60s Vox wah that is rumored to have belonged to Jimi Hendrix
Ibanez TS10 Tube screamer

Moral of the story deal with and work with what you have and never loose sleep over getting your favorite bands tone. Its possible to get close with a couple grand sure but its impossible to get exact. Even more so with a $100 rig.
Quote by GrumpyBrit
OK thank you - I'll bug you lot again in the future when I get money - this amp is pretty basic!

It's actually pretty complicated. Single Channel JCM800's were basic.
Quote by Ghold125
It's actually pretty complicated. Single Channel JCM800's were basic.

Basically AWESOME.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
The classic stack model on the MicroCube is perfectly good eough for that solo. The reason it doesn't sound "the same" is probably down to the fact that you can't play very well yet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
The classic stack model on the MicroCube is perfectly good eough for that solo. The reason it doesn't sound "the same" is probably down to the fact that you can't play very well yet.

This is most likely true.

And listen to IbanezPsycho, he knows what he's talking about!