I was sick of the short sound of the nylon strings so I bought a set of acoustic strings: D'Addario American Bronze. I absolutely love the sound, but please tell me:

Is the move of putting steel strings on the classical guitar smart?

Are the strings good?
Quote by missdor
I was sick of the short sound of the nylon strings so I bought a set of acoustic strings: D'Addario American Bronze. I absolutely love the sound, but please tell me:

NO and NEVER.

Steel strings exert a much greater tension on your guitar than do nylons. Nylon-string guitars simply are not built to handle that tension. Putting steel strings on a nylon-string guitar can cause permanent damage to the instrument, including breaking or lifting the bridge, and probably warping (maybe even snapping) the neck.

Quote by missdor
Are the strings good?

For this I'll refer you to the "answers about strings" thread. But remember, steel strings are NEVER good for nylon-string guitars.

This post has been significantly edited from the original for the benefit of the official strings thread.
Last edited by obeythepenguin at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by obeythepenguin
NO and NEVER.

+1 !

Quote by Franzypants
Gorgeous. She was it.

Quote by missdor
But How about I keep them on for 2 months and then I buy an acoustic guitar?

No. Nylon and steel strings are not interchangable for any period of time.
You do know a simple "No" will suffice, you're not scareing anyone with your huge letters and whatnot.
Quote by spacedkadet
You do know a simple "No" will suffice, you're not scareing anyone with your huge letters and whatnot.

Oh, I'm well aware, I just like shouting because it drives in my point.

I did some further research, and according to Seagull's FAQ,
Putting Steel strings on a Nylon string guitar can add extra stress to the guitar top and may cause the bridge to lift. These guitars are braced differently and steel and nylon strings are not interchangeable.
Well, penguin, I'm going to keep the strings for 2 weeks, because after that, I'm returning the guitar to its owner, but he has no clue about playing the guitar, so he won't notice if a small bending of the neck will take place. I don't think that 2 weeks is that damaging, but I got the idea and thanks.
Quote by missdor
Well, penguin, I'm going to keep the strings for 2 weeks, because after that, I'm returning the guitar to its owner, but he has no clue about playing the guitar, so he won't notice if a small bending of the neck will take place. I don't think that 2 weeks is that damaging, but I got the idea and thanks.

Don't tell me you've already strung the thing...?

Please -- if only for your own credibility's sake -- take off the steel strings and put back the nylons. Admittedly I don't know the first thing about guitar physics, but I'd guess even two hours is enough time to do damage. There's a very good reason we're telling you not to do this: It's just not a good idea.

Some further reading, courtesy of Google:
http://www.musiccenters.com/strqa.html
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_put_steel_strings_on_a_nylon_string_guitar
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/53019

By the way, not to be mean or anything, but if I were the guitar's owner and you gave it back to me irrepairably damaged, I wouldn't care how well or often I played the thing. I'd sue you.
Last edited by obeythepenguin at Jul 6, 2009,
By the way, why exactly did you ask us
Quote by missdor

if you were just going to ignore our advice anyway?
I'm not ignoring it, just delaying the action. The guy keeps the guitar as a plastic flower in a vase, so he's not going to sue me. Plus that on the guitar I learned how to play there were some really hard metal strings for years, and the neck is still there, still fit, just that the guitar itself is 35 years old.

I couldn't stand these 2 weeks without the guitar, believe me.
Quote by missdor
I'm not ignoring it, just delaying the action. The guy keeps the guitar as a plastic flower in a vase, so he's not going to sue me. Plus that on the guitar I learned how to play there were some really hard metal strings for years, and the neck is still there, still fit, just that the guitar itself is 35 years old.

I couldn't stand these 2 weeks without the guitar, believe me.

Let me guess, the bottom three strings or so are metal, and the others are nylon?

Those are not actually steel strings. They're wrapped in metal, yes (something to do with producing a louder sound, I think), but inside, the core is still made of nylon.

The neck is not the only thing that can be damaged. As I mentioned in my second post above, the steel strings could cause the bridge of the guitar to break or even lift off.

And especially, please don't damage other people's property. It's just not nice.
Last edited by obeythepenguin at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by Obeythepenguin
]Those are not steel strings. They're wrapped in metal (something to do with producing a louder sound, I think), but inside, the core is still made of nylon.

Or it was an acoustic guitar.

A classical guitar is a completely different instrument, although it shares many features. Acoustic guitar players in some ways are more akin to shredders thanks to complicated classical concertos from composers like Paganini then to acoustic players. Many techniques, including tapping and sweep picking (which are widely used on electric guitar nowadays) were experimented on and perfected early on classical guitars.

An acoustic guitar is an offshoot of the classcial guitar. The purpose of an acoustic guitar, however, is more often then not to play chords and accompany. While the tuning is generally the same and the bodyshape is similar, an acoustic guitar are almost always designed for the stress of louder steel strings.

The nylon strings on a classical guitar are similar to the synthetic strings on a violin. They exert less stress and have a warmer sound. As a result of their popularity among classical players, classical guitars have been made to endure the lesser stress of their nylon strings. Putting steel strings on one will probably cause catastrophic damage.
Nah, they were all metal, I know what nylon strings are .

Oh and actually, the guy to whom I'm gonna return the guitar has to return it back to another dude, he borrowed it for 2 or 3 years, and I have it for 7 months, I really think it's no one's guitar right now.
ONCE AGAIN

Quote by obeythepenguin
By the way, why exactly did you ask us

Quote by missdor

if you were just going to ignore our advice anyway?
Quote by missdor
Oh and actually, the guy to whom I'm gonna return the guitar has to return it back to another dude, he borrowed it for 2 or 3 years, and I have it for 7 months, I really think it's no one's guitar right now.

Then it's not yours. If it was your guitar, I would say a hearty "Hell no!" Since it's someone elses' property that they lent out to someone who lent it to you, I would say that if you did that, you could be subject to legal action of some sort if the person is particularly vindictive.

People who offer advice on this site usually have your best interests in mind when they say something; we aren't gonna say something just because we feel mean today (ignoring obeythepenguin for now). Trust us when we say and offer strong evidence that what you're doing could result in costly or irreparable damage to the instrument.

There are acoustic guitars that are designed to use steel strings that have all the features of a classical guitar - a fair number have a cutaway so you can hit all the high frets. Play one of those if you like steel strings, but for the love of God, please leave the nylon strings on the classical guitar.
Quote by missdor
Nah, they were all metal, I know what nylon strings are .

Were you referring to the classical guitar from the original post, or a different guitar?

Naturally, a steel string guitar would not be damaged by steel strings because steel-string guitars are designed and built to handle the tension. A nylon-string guitar does not have the same kind of construction and bracing. (Part of the reason is that the bracing inside a guitar interferes with its sound, so when building a guitar, a luthier must find a compromise between its tone and structural stability.)

On the other hand, if you're referring still to the classical guitar, I'm just going to quote what this site says:
Q: My classical guitar has 3 nylon strings and 3 metal strings on it. Why? Shouldn't they all be the same?

A: Actually your guitar has 6 nylon strings. When we speak of nylon vs steel strings we refer to the core material of the string. If you look closely at the end of the "metal" strings you will see that the inside material consists of many small fibers. These fibers are made of nylon! Thus it is nylon, not a steel string. The reason that the lower pitched strings have a "metal" (most commonly silver plated copper) winding is to add mass to the string so it will be able to be tuned lower. Without this winding the diameter of the string would need to be so much larger, to have the same mass, that it would be impractical to play. Also, if you break one of the wrapped strings and wish to replace it, be sure to ask for a (low E, A, or D) nylon, string not a steel string, or you will probably get the wrong type. You could damage your classical guitar if you put a higher tension steel string on it!

This post has been significantly edited from the original for the benefit of the official strings thread.
Quote by obeythepenguin
NO and NEVER.

Steel strings exert a much greater tension on the guitar's neck than do nylons. Nylon-string guitars ARE NOT BUILT to handle that tension. At the best, you won't be able to get them on at all, because of the tie-on bridge. At worst, you will PERMANENTLY DAMAGE (warp, or even snap) your neck.

I'd assume they are -- D'Addarios have a good reputation (and I believe that's what Seagulls come strung with; my one set has lasted about seven years). BUT NOT ON A NYLON-STRING GUITAR.

Dude....change your strings. You'll thank me for it.

And TS, DO NOT STRING A CLASSICAL GUITAR WITH STEEL (core) STRINGS. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHOSE GUITAR IT IS, YOU'LL DAMAGE THE GUITAR.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jul 6, 2009,
Is there really a need for all of this? They asked a question and you all answered it to the best of your abilities (and correctly imo). There is no reason to become obnoxious. Either they'll follow your advice or they won't. There's no reason to get into a proverbial shouting match (with the big, annoying text, etc).

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Yes, for this post, I had to click "Go advanced"

DO NOT EVER PUT STEEL STRINGS ON ON NYLON STRING GUITAR!!!! PLEASE!!!!! SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE!!!! IT CAN AND WILL RUIN THE GUITAR AND WILL COST YOU A LOT OF MONEY IN THE LONG RUN!!!!!!! AND THE REASON WE'RE WRITING IN ALL BIG LETTER AND BOLD FONTS IS BECAUSE WE NEED YOU TO KNOW THAT WHAT YOU'RE DOING IS BAD!!!!!!!! (sorry for the pure caps everyone)

I read about half of the first page and felt like reasserting everyone's points. Prettymuch, TAKE OFF THE STEEL STRINGS, and put on some nylon ones. If you don't have any nylon ones to put on, JUST TAKE THEM OFF ANYWAYS. A nylon string guitar without strings is going to suffer less damage than one with steel strings on it (I think). Just save yourself the trouble/future pain!!!!!!!!!
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
lol @ whole thread

Man, I tell ya. Some things in this world are just priceless, and this is one of them. I'm not even going to post anything useful to this thread now thanks to everyone else who've done a superior job of iterating, and reiterating their point. No doubt it'll be closed shortly since it is a repeat of a repeat of a repeat threat subject.
I'm kinda glad I didn't see this thread until now. It made me lol at work. If the TS wants to break his 35 yr old classical guitar then so be it.

The proper advice has been spewed out by multiple people, various times. You can only beat a dead horse so many times.

Thread closed. The TS doesn't want to listen. No point in continuing.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.