Hey guys. Which pickups do you think are better and why (For Metal and Metalcore). What are the core differences between the AHB-1 and the EMG81TW/89 set for example ? Which would give better distortion and better cleans ?
blackouts cos there newer and alexi laiho uses them!

i personally prefer the tone of emgs to blackouts. The 81 is perfect for metal and if you know how to roll your tone knob back can produce some good cleans on the 85 and even the 81.
Quote by the agony scene

i personally prefer the tone of emgs to blackouts. The 81 is perfect for metal and if you know how to roll your tone knob back can produce some good cleans on the 85 and even the 81.

Alexi doesn't use them anymore, he is getting his own pickups from EMG.
hmm, now that you reminded me of EMG, seems they overhauled that site of theirs. They still have those crapass soundbites thoguh.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
The blackouts sound tons better then the EMG's to me they seem alot clearer. I have a Loomis C7FR that has EMG 707's and a ESP m-107 with blackouts even though the schecter is a better quality guitar the ESP sounds so much better, In fact im pondering swapping the PU's I love the blackouts that much.
I haven't tried out Blackout's my self but I've heard recorded comparasions between the Emg's and Blackout's, and I believe that Blackout's sound abit more organic than Emg's. But don't expect any single-coil passive pickup cleans.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
More living, or to a point, less sterile than EMGs. I just can't seem to like the lead tone on Blackouts but as most have said, that is personal preference.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
which would sound more like Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, As I Lay Dying, Haste The Day, August Burns Red .etc. ?
^ i disagree. put the same guitar with emg's through that same monster rig and it'll sound clear as a bell.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Aditya_ram
which would sound more like Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, As I Lay Dying, Haste The Day, August Burns Red .etc. ?

I would say emgs, correct me if i'm wrong guys
Quote by UnsignedRecords
^ i disagree. put the same guitar with emg's through that same monster rig and it'll sound clear as a bell.

No way, too saturated and muddy.
They sound different. One is neither better nor worse, except to your ears, and your ears only.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by FrogSoup21
No way, too saturated and muddy.

yes way.

agree to disagree.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by the agony scene

Except he uses passive EMG-HZs in all but one of his guitars. He tried Blackouts and went back to HZs.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Ok but for the bands I listed, EMG's would be a better bet ?
Basically i have to choose between a Schecter Hellraiser and a Schecter Blackjack ATX.
Quote by Spartan101400
SD Livewires.

to me the SD livewires are so sterile, just not nice at all.

but EMGs for me, Blackouts just never did it for me i dont know why but they are both good pups
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs

i personally prefer the tone of emgs to blackouts. The 81 is perfect for metal and if you know how to roll your tone knob back can produce some good cleans on the 85 and even the 81

Yes, for like a super small period of time he prefers EMG HZ with a gain boost!!