With a lot of tapping licks, particularly ones from SikTh or Architects, etc, it's very difficult to stop the right hand creating excess noise; particularly with a lot of gain.

I'll add an attachment for guitar pro to show you the kind of lick I'm referring to. I don't see how you can stop the right hand making noise when you have to slide it up the fretboard during a lick for instance.
keep only your finger on the tapped fret and raise the rest of your hand or elbow so that its not touching the strings?
I dunno what lick you're talking about, but I guess you could use the left hand to mute strings, except the ones played.
Pin and Dan from SikTh used scrunchies to help with muting, i like to rest my first finger across the fretboard as a bar (like Guthrie Govan) and then tap with either my ring middle or pinky finger so it all stays quiet.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by griffRG7321
Pin and Dan from SikTh used scrunchies to help with muting, i like to rest my first finger across the fretboard as a bar (like Guthrie Govan) and then tap with either my ring middle or pinky finger so it all stays quiet.

Yeah, might need to just go back to basics and find a more efficient technique for muting while tapping.

ANd scrunchies? the things for your hair? lol.

I might find some licks to post here later to emphasize my point, kind of difficult to explain as it's quite specific.
@Novacane...
I lay my index finger across all of the strings higher then the one I'm on and the on lower then the one I'm tapping on. I only put pressure on the one string, for example, G, but I'm also muting my e-string, my B-string, and my D-string with my index finger. That seems to work really well and it means I don't rely on a hair accessory to make me teh shredzors.
I'm not really sure exactly what your problem is, but when I tap, I rest my right wrist on the strings below the one I"m using, and my index finger will mute the strings above. I'm nearly always on the first string though, I almost never tap.

The guy who said something about scrunchies is right. I once played with a very good bassist that kept a scrunchy just past the nut of his bass. when he started doing serious slaps and pops, he would slide it up to where it could mute the strings for him. I always thought it was ingenious.
I play In Your World by Muse using tapping on the D string. I use my third finger on my left hand to hold the base note (E - 2nd fret on D string) and use my index finger to bar the first fret lightly, muting the strings and eliminating any excess noise. Then I tap the tune. Not sure if that helps you but it might.
Ok I am still concerned about going from a tapping lick to chords and stuff, if I rest my right hand to mute the low strings is there any way to avoid the hand sliding up to where I can strum? ALl i can think of is using the left hand to mute the strings and make sure they dont ring out after the tapping lick and then taking the right hand off and then using it to strum. Obviously this takes more time though.

Hope that makes sense. Ha ha.
The scruntchi trick is a well kept secret.

Guys been doing that **** in the studios for years.