3 7%
The Book: I have not seen the movie
2 5%
The Movie: I have not read the book
15 34%
I Hate Stephen King
4 9%
Voters: 44.
I just finished reading the Shining and i would like to know the opinions of the Pit onto whether they prefered the Movie or the Book. Both works have a similar basis but diverge quite a bit in my opinion.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
The movie.
I dislike Stephen King's writing style immensely.
404: Sig not found.
HERE'S JOHNNY!

Book is slightly better even though JN's acting kicked ass.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Oh by far the book. Very few books actually have the ability to unnerve me while I'm reading them, and The Shining did it better than the movie. Christine was the same way, actually, loved the book so much more than the movie.
The book cause the movie took some elements that were important
Quote by Harmonius
If memories could be canned,would they also have expiry dates?If so,i hope they last for centuries.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
I seriously tried to see how many times I could cum in one hour.
I ended up passing out.
No joke.

Quote by Final !mpact
Religion is more evil than metal.
I found the ending to the book much more satisfying than the ending to the movie as well. not to mention that the character development made Jack's transformation all the better in the book.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
i never saw the movie but i read the book a couple times and it was pretty sweet.

Quote by ChrisN
I dislike Stephen King's writing style immensely.

well that's because you're wrong.
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Last edited by humperdunk at Jul 6, 2009,
The book. My imagination scares me more than Stanley Kubrick ever could.
Crazier than a fish with titties.
Quote by Lord_Hondros
That was a great troll, and it made me laugh. Which then made me cause I was having a good time being scared shitless

Quote by behind_you
Grandfather clocks and jizz.
I didn't think the book or the movie was that great. I thought Misery was a much better read, and was much scarier, to be honest. I enjoyed the movie of that more than The Shining, as well.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Both were great, but the book was better.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
The movie is amazing, but the book is a million times better. Stephen King is an extremely talented writer, even if Lisey's Story sucked.
The book, because I can have al sorts of weird sexual fantasies while I'm reading it.
Did I say that out loud?
The book. I think the movie should have stuck more to the original writing. I mean, it changed so much. I wish they would do a remake.
If only summer rain would fall, on the houses and the boulevards
And the sidewalk bagatelles, it's like a dream
With the roar of cars and the lulling of the cafe bars,
The sweetly sleeping sweeping of the Seine...
The book for sure. I hated how the movie started Jack right out as a freak weirdo, but the book actually showed the slow transformation of an average troubled, legit guy into a psychopath.
"Bullshit is the glue that binds this nation together."
-George Carlin

The Human Fund: $0.00
PM me to donate
Both are truly amazing. Although i do prefer the book more. Mr. King was Godly at this point in his career.
Gear:
Schecter c1+
Peavey Raptor exp

Vox ad30vt
I've only seen a bit of the movie, but it seemed pretty good, and i thought the book was way overrated and really slow.
So, i say the movie.
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Quote by humperdunk
well that's because you're wrong.
Me having an opinion that differs from yours does not make me wrong.
404: Sig not found.
Ive never read the book but the movie gave me so many nightmares when i was 10
Quote by Drmckool
I found the ending to the book much more satisfying than the ending to the movie as well. not to mention that the character development made Jack's transformation all the better in the book.

i disagree. I feel that King's ending was really predictable. I remember the book having that cliche "...and they lived happily ever after" ending which was a real let-down. But it was the book's only flaw I believe.

Kubrick's vision of how the story finished was much darker and stayed away from the traditional "hollywood ending" where all the loose ends get tied up. In Kubrick's The Shining, the protaganist didn't redeem himself, there was no resolution to his character. Instead, Kubrick decided to have Jack killed before he has the chance to chop up his family, leaving the boy fatherless which I thought was much cooler. And that last shot in the movie which shows Nicholson's dead frozen body in the snow, that was awesome. The transformation that Jack experienced went from being a loving father and husband to a psychopathic, axe-wielding [wait wasn't it a croquet racket in the book?] killer. Having his character transform BACK into a normal person isn't satisfying at all. It's a copout. As a reader/viewer of horror texts you dont want to see the charcters being normal people, you want to see them lose their fvcking minds by going on killing sprees. You want to see blood being spilt, heads being cut off, and crazy monsters. You don't wanna see families sitting on a dock watching the sun set. I dunno, maybe its just me who feels this way but I believe the ending to the movie was MUCH more satisfying.

One of my favourite scenes in the movie is where Jack is chasing his son through the hedge maze with an axe. I think this was a scene added to Kubrick's adaptation of the Shining. I don't remember it ever being in the book.

The book definitely had some elements which were left out of the movie that I liked, but I remember being really disappointed by its ending. As for which I prefer .... can't really decide. If the book had the movie's ending then I believe the book would be MUCH greater.

Edit: DAMN now i really wanna see the movie again/re-read the book.
Last edited by flea's trumpet at Jul 6, 2009,