Hi.

I have a JCM 800 2204 and I've plugged a Boss DS-1 into it.

The problem is that when I use the pedal, the amp sounds really fuzzy. It sounds like if I have the tone knob on my guitar all the way down.

It doesn't matter what settings I use, it always sounds like that. Right now these are the settings I'm using:

Amp:
High-input
Presence 6
Bass 5
Middle 8
Treble 7
Pre-Amp 8

Pedal:
Tone 12 o'clock
Level max
Dist 0

Is there something I can do about it?
My guitar is a Gibson Explorer if that matters.

Thanks!
Last edited by Warlock_ at Jul 6, 2009,
The DS-1 IMO is only useful as a booster pedal for solos. It's tone is completely **** and distortion is bland, that compared to a warm jcm800.
I don't know why your amp would sound like it does, but maybe its got something to do with the level of the pedal being maxed. Isn't that too loud? The pedal is hardly an amp and maxing the level through the pedal would give your amp a transistor type compressed noise.
Why so loud?
Quote by basilbrush
Do you have active pups? Some pedals don't work well with actives

The pickups are passive.

Quote by chiliwillifreak
The DS-1 IMO is only useful as a booster pedal for solos. It's tone is completely **** and distortion is bland, that compared to a warm jcm800.
I don't know why your amp would sound like it does, but maybe its got something to do with the level of the pedal being maxed. Isn't that too loud? The pedal is hardly an amp and maxing the level through the pedal would give your amp a transistor type compressed noise.
Why so loud?

I have read that you are supposed to have the level high and distortion low because then it pushes the amp more instead of using all of the pedals distortion.
Quote by tim_mop
have you tried changing the presence?

TM

Yes, I have tried changing all the knobs on both the amp and the pedal.
The problem is that the DS-1 isn't the greatest, IMO.

I can crank the Pre to 10 with the Level and Drive set fairly high on my OCD and I still get clear tone without muddiness through the 490T on the LP.

I do get a lot of noise but that's because UPS still hasn't found my goddam ISP yet, so I'm playing gate-less.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
The DS-1 isn't a very good pedal (unless you keeley mod it, then its actually pretty amazing)

The JCM800 is a fantastic amp, I would use an OD or maybe even an EQ if you were looking for a boost. In my opinion, the DS-1 is only gonna kill your tone.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Thanks for the replies.

I think I will try and find another pedal.

What would you recommend? I am looking for that 80's hi-gain metal sound.
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
The DS-1 isn't a very good pedal (unless you keeley mod it, then its actually pretty amazing)

The JCM800 is a fantastic amp, I would use an OD or maybe even an EQ if you were looking for a boost. In my opinion, the DS-1 is only gonna kill your tone.

+1 for the EQ. Maybe you should look into a boost pedal, TS?
DS-1's sound terrible with 800's even as a clean boost! Really fizzy/fuzzy. However, check your battery/power supply - it shouldn't sound THAT bad!

Try an SD-1 instead, with the level maxed and no more than 1/4 gain. Perfect 80's tone! Problem is, you need 2 of them :P

One to boost the rhythm sound, then another for your solo boost on top. Still, SD-1's are cheap and I'd take them over a TS for 80's any day!
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean