What's the proper way to pick riffs like the one in the beginning of Number of the Beast? The type where you play a power chord and then palm mute the root of it an even number of times and then play the power chord again, in straight 16ths. Just downpicking? Because that's pretty damn tiring.
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
If it's tiring you should work on relaxing your right arm. I won't go in details because there is a whole philosophy about it. Or simply pick chords down, but when playing only one string alternate pick. That's what I'd do, unless I'd want to work out my right arm. To conclude - none is wrong, just your preference.
So if the riff was chord-root-root-chord you would pick it as down-down-up-down, or what?
Quote by Spitz13
**** you, i live in uruguay.
Yes, or down-up-down-down, whichever you prefer. There's no real difference between picking up or down on a single string, even tho some people swear there is a huge difference. Frankly, I can't hear it. But, when picking chords up/down you place the accent on upper/lower strings of the chord used, so in metal I downpick, which emphasizes the bass, while in jazz I'd pick the chords upwards to get a lighter sound and emphasize trebles.
Quote by Uranutan
So if the riff was chord-root-root-chord you would pick it as down-down-up-down, or what?

I personally down pick all of that

Just play it how you feel most comfortable
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

I downpick too, I like downpicking for most fast stuff on lower strings. Its a lot tighter
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I downpick number of the beast and all those types of riffs. I just like that nice staccato sound I guess, and I've never been especially great at up-picking the 4th-6th strings rapidly (not a technique I practice a lot.)
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
The riff's tempo is not too fast so I use down-picking for it. I use that in all mid-tempo riffs, but when it's too fast to down pick, I use alternate picking.