I have my guitars hanging on my wall next to my window, And the sun hits them every morning. I just looked at my Ibanez and the Toggle Switch screws are already starting to corrode, And I've only had this guitar for a few months... Should I move my guitars out of the sun. (there only in the sun for maybe an hour tops every morning...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I would get them out of direct sunlight. The guitar warming up and cooling down everyday couldn't be good for it and you have nothing to lose.
Yes, make sure. It can warp necks if it gets too warm and i can't imagine it's good for hardware and paint
When the distance between the guitar and the sun is rather small, it could melt or catch fire.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Never leave your guitar in direct sunlight, in your car when it´s hot or cold for any extended period of time, these elements can destroy your instrument !!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by sstony at Jul 6, 2009,
Leaving an electric in direct sunlight WILL cause discoloration over time. It also heats the strings up and other metal parts (heat makes metal expand) Hmmm my guitars out of tune when I pulled it inside off the deck. If you've got an old weather beaten guitar, pop off the pickguard and take a look at the colour difference. However, constant direct sunlight, or constant moist weather, or constant salty conditions (living near oceans) will wear a guitar significantly quicker than a guitar that is left near room temperature with 50% humidity.
~~One Off Custom Strat~~
- 3 piece alder body
- Maple on rosewood 21 fret neck
- '82 Fender pickups

~~'92 Toyota Supra~~

- 1JZ-GTE (TT, front mount intercooler, 15~psi)
- Tuned on 93 octane
- HKS 3" exhaust
Of course the sun can screw up your guitar. An hour of exposure will heat it up, and once that's over, it will cool back down. That means that it will expand and then contract, which is pretty much never a good thing for something like a guitar. It can also cause discoloration and just kind of mess things up.

If I were you, though, I would look at other things that could cause it as well. I don't think that the sun can cause corrosion, and I know that it can't cause any serious corrosion in a few months with less than an hour a day.
Do you live near the ocean? Do you keep your windows open often? Do you use any kinds of chemicals in the same room? Do you live in a humid area? Sunlight is clearly not the only problem you have to worry about, and it isn't the most serious. Just check out the environment you keep your guitars in, and make sure that the sunlight is the only thing that could screw something up. If that is the case, get blinds/curtains or move your guitars to another part of your room.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
is it smart to humidify ur electric like an acoustic?
DBZ Barchetta Eminent FR
DBZ Bolero ST
DBZ Imperial FM
DBZ Venom Matte Black
Dean '79 V
Dean '79 ML
Fender Princeton Chorus
Behringer V-Tone 2/12
Asterope Cables
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Hardware Metal Distortion
Quote by shredmaster12
is it smart to humidify ur electric like an acoustic?
How would you even do that...?

I don't suggest putting it in the sun. It could hurt the wood and cause discoloration like said.
Quote by SOADrox429
Do you live in a humid area? .

It's extremely humid where I live. Which is what I thought I just didn't know if the sun would help the humidity.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29

It's extremely humid where I live. Which is what I thought I just didn't know if the sun would help the humidity.

I live in a humid area as well. As long as your house is cool, the humidity inside should be fine. If you open your windows often, though, it could become a problem.

EDIT: Just noticed you live in Georgia. So do I. Like I said, if you keep the house cool, the humidity should be fine.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Last edited by SOADrox429 at Jul 6, 2009,
UV rays in the sun will be absorbed over time by the polyurethane, acrylic, or nitro finish... this will cause degradation of the finish and thus discoloration....
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr