I’ve been looking into Studio Monitors for a few months now and am coming down to the final choices. What I’ve been hearing recently from people however, is that with a pair of studio monitors, a good subwoofer is needed to get a feel for how much bass is being used. What I’m worried about is either A.) Getting a subwoofer and being too reliant on it, causing my mix to lack bass on any other sound system, or B.) Not getting one and putting in WAY too much bass in my mix, only to hear nothing but a song drowned in muddy bass.

This may be the case for either situation, or neither of them, but as you can see I’m just guessing. Anyone have any recommendations on this? I am on a bit of a budget, as the rest of this board usually is, so it’s very likely I’ll be picking up the M-Audio BX5a Deluxe Active Monitors.
if your in an untreated room then forget about the sub. it will be a living nightmare.
consider getting a nice set of monitors and then having some bass-traps and broadband absorbers installed. that will be significantly better than putting a sub in an untreated room.
Listen, you'll end up spending as much on a good subwoofer as you will on those m-audios. Might as well get better speakers with better bass. No use having well-mixed bass when the rest of the mix isn't up to standard
Quote by Union Of V
Listen, you'll end up spending as much on a good subwoofer as you will on those m-audios. Might as well get better speakers with better bass. No use having well-mixed bass when the rest of the mix isn't up to standard

Good point there, Driller I'm still keeping your opinion in mind, but Union, can you give me a recommendation of speakers with better bass than what I was looking at?
Quote by 4BloodNThunder
Good point there, Driller I'm still keeping your opinion in mind, but Union, can you give me a recommendation of speakers with better bass than what I was looking at?

Well, my "studio" is miniature at the moment, and I don't have much experience with monitors so take what I say with a pinch of salt (ie do some research yourself first).

However I have heard many good things about Behringer's Truth range, that they have the sound of monitors which cost much more. They don't seem to have a rated frequency range though so look for comparisons to decide.

Also take a look at the KPK RP5 - still not great bass, but much better than those m-audios.
Agreed on the KRK's.

And **** subs in an untreated room. Just do a low cut at whatever your monitors go down to so you don't have to worry.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
The BX5a's have a matching subwoofer that has a footswitch to remove it from the mix, so you can monitor with or without the subwoofer. That seems to solve your problems.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by aetherspear
The BX5a's have a matching subwoofer that has a footswitch to remove it from the mix, so you can monitor with or without the subwoofer. That seems to solve your problems.

No it doesn't, in an untreated room a sub will more than likely make things a WHOLE lot worse rather than better. Pointless inaccurate bass responce is pointless.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Just for reference, I will be using these in an untreated room. As for the KRK's, I LOVED the sound of the RP8's, but that was with a $400 subwoofer. Once I turned that off at the store, I actually preferred the sound of the M-Audios (both without subs).
It doesn't matter what sounds best. It matter what's got the flattest frequency response you noob!

I really like the sound of high end hifi speakers but you don't see me mixing/mastering with them!!
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
im with willie on this one, massive sub-bass in an untreated room is an exercise in futility.

if you're worried about the low end of your mix, just use a decent set of headphones for reference with your main monitors.