I play bass and someone has suggested i take up guitar because it will teach me more. I can see how he means it sorta. But i'm not sure what to think of it. If it would help me in anything what would it help me with?
I know it would help me with picking. What other?
any advice is input is good.
Ibanez K-5 Fieldy Signature
Ernie Ball SUB Series Sterling Stingray 4
Yorkville XC115 Bass Cab(w/head)

"It's better to burn out than fade away"
-Neil Young/Kurt Cobain
If you are pretty experienced maybe but I think it may just confuse you because they are totally different beasts IMO :P

Most bass players make good rhythm guitarists but what style of music do you play?
In the band i'm starting we play metal, but i like all kinds and i was just wondering if it would help me move around and play my own thing but still sound good.
Ibanez K-5 Fieldy Signature
Ernie Ball SUB Series Sterling Stingray 4
Yorkville XC115 Bass Cab(w/head)

"It's better to burn out than fade away"
-Neil Young/Kurt Cobain
with my own personal experience, and what i've seen, the crossover from guitar to bass is a whole lot easier than vice versa.

it does take some getting used to, (heavier instrument, radically different gauge strings) but there are basic fundamentals that a guitarist would find beneficial when playing.

of course, it never hurts to play multiple instruments, and it's typically encouraged.
I'm just another musician waiting to be famous.

follow my twitter here
Please! listen to my music here
Different instruments offer new perspectives on how to approach music. I'd say the benefits are minimal from a technical standpoint however massively beneficial to your general understanding of music.
I'm the opposite - I've played guitar for a few years and started playing bass only recently. I'm not sure how easily any physical, technical skills will carry over, as they're both played differently. I'm still trying to get used to everything on a bass being so far apart!

However, thanks to a guitar having 6 relatively light strings fairly close together, you get other musical possibilities. Chords, for example. Knowing about these things won't do any harm, and it's probably useful to understand what the guitarists in your band are actually doing when they play. Maybe a better understanding of their parts will help you in writing interesting and suitable bass parts?
I'd say it helps but if you're ultimately learning bass, just start with a bass
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Yes it does. Only fretting though, unless you use a pick and not your fingers in which case you disgust me.