I play bass and someone has suggested i take up guitar because it will teach me more. I can see how he means it sorta. But i'm not sure what to think of it. If it would help me in anything what would it help me with?
I know it would help me with picking. What other?
any advice is input is good.
Ibanez K-5 Fieldy Signature
Ernie Ball SUB Series Sterling Stingray 4
Yorkville XC115 Bass Cab(w/head)

"It's better to burn out than fade away"
-Neil Young/Kurt Cobain
help you understand the way the guitarist in your band sees his guitar parts, makes it easier for you to understand how and why he does some things

it would make it easier to understand the guitarist's parts in a song etc
Quote by FedEx8
I play bass and someone has suggested i take up guitar because it will teach me more. I can see how he means it sorta. But i'm not sure what to think of it. If it would help me in anything what would it help me with?
I know it would help me with picking. What other?
any advice is input is good.

yes, it will give you a more broad perspective, but the important question is...... do you WANT to play guitar?

alot of things will "teach you more".
shred is gaudy music
It might not make you better technically at playing Bass, but it will help you advance as a musician.

By understanding how other instruments work, you can see what their role is in a song and how they are played, etc.

While I play Guitar, I have played Bass, and while it didn't really improve my guitar skills, it did give me an understanding of what a bass can play at a certain guitar part.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Last edited by Xeron Brigs at Jul 6, 2009,
I wouldn't mind learn some guitar. Like i want to be able to play chords nicely and write stuff from that. I don't care to be ridiculous or anything ya know?
So whats all of yalls opinions, stick to bass to learn more, or take lessons with a guitar.
Ibanez K-5 Fieldy Signature
Ernie Ball SUB Series Sterling Stingray 4
Yorkville XC115 Bass Cab(w/head)

"It's better to burn out than fade away"
-Neil Young/Kurt Cobain
Well, if you do want to play guitar then go for some lessons. Keep the bass up though - if you focus to much on one of them it migh make you worse at the other, not better.
Only in a technical aspect of things (and even at that mediocre)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
i think its kind of a "yes and no" situation.

i say yes because i play gutiar first and it was pretty easy to pick up a bass and start playing. that being said, i was only playing root notes and simple runs. but then i happened to have one in my house for a while so i started to actually think like a bass player. i figured out some walking blues bass lines and jammin a long. i was also getting a lot better with scales and improv on guitar around this time so that made it easier to. so because i know how to improv well on guitar and have spent some time learning bass lines, i can play bass when i need to.

but if you just go from guitar to bass, it wont help much unless you think like a bass player as well. also on guitar i learned how to follow chords so that helped with bass as well because it allows me to come up with bass riffs on the spot instead of playing the root, the octave and maybe the 5th as many bass players do. theres nothing wrong with that, it has its place (i dont mean playing power chords but more or less arpeggiating them).

but seeing as you actually are a bass player, i think maybe you should just learn on that....unless you want to play guitar as well. the only thing playing guitar might do for you as a bass player is help you understand how to work with the guitar. the other stuff i talked about can be learned on bass. i just happened to play guitar first and gave bass a try.