greetings :P

i currently have 3 electric guitars, a 1970s Gibson Les Paul, an ESP Ltd H-1000 fitted with EMGs, and an Ibanez RG1570. I use each of them for different styles: my gibson for classic rock and blues, my Ibanez for 80s cheese metal and shred, and my ESP for all out bludgeoning metal!!

My amp is a Marshall MG30 DFX, not the current one, the one before it. When playing my Gibson and my Ibanez through it they sound great, but when i play my ESP it doesn't sound to good at all. It doesn't seem to give me a good metal tone for playing stuff like Machine Head, Dream Theater, and Children of Bodom.

So, my question is do i get a new amp?? Or do i try and get some stomp boxes and FX pedals. and play through the clean channel??
I and everyone else around here will recommend a new amp since that one is pretty much trash.

Depends on your situation though, do you have max budget?

EDIT:

Quote by nightraven
sell the ESP and use just the ibanez for metal and stuff

salvage the marshall MG for any components you might like for a random project or something because it's a pretty piss-poor amp and it'll be hard to get rid of

now with the money you made from the ESP and some of your own savings - check out the 'gear for metal' thread and pick your favourite amp from the list

You might want to sell one of your guitars, thats not a bad idea.

I disagree I sold my MG within a couple hours of posting it on Craigslist.

People only see the name on the amp, they don't hear what it sounds like.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Last edited by acdclandon at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by shredftw
greetings :P

i currently have 3 electric guitars, a 1970s Gibson Les Paul, an ESP Ltd H-1000 fitted with EMGs, and an Ibanez RG1570. I use each of them for different styles: my gibson for classic rock and blues, my Ibanez for 80s cheese metal and shred, and my ESP for all out bludgeoning metal!!

My amp is a Marshall MG30 DFX, not the current one, the one before it. When playing my Gibson and my Ibanez through it they sound great, but when i play my ESP it doesn't sound to good at all. It doesn't seem to give me a good metal tone for playing stuff like Machine Head, Dream Theater, and Children of Bodom.

So, my question is do i get a new amp?? Or do i try and get some stomp boxes and FX pedals. and play through the clean channel??

What would your budget be to get a new amp? You have some great guitars, but you have a s*** amp. Sounds like you definitely need a good tube amp. Do you gig?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
ok, i aint selling any of my guitars cos they're all great. budget is gonna be around £500, dont know what that is in dollars or whatever. i dont gig atm, but i am wanting to in the future
I'm thinking maybe a used Peavey XXX/JSX/3120?

That'll cover your versatility for ya. Plus loud enough to gig with.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by shredftw
ok, i aint selling any of my guitars cos they're all great. budget is gonna be around £500, dont know what that is in dollars or whatever. i dont gig atm, but i am wanting to in the future

For that money you can get a pretty decent tube amp.

Do you care about combo vs head + cab?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
go get a Peavey XXX or an Ultra used off Ebay or Gumtree

and look for a Laney of some sort
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
that link is useful, thats the kind of thing im looking for

do u think it would be worth going to a guitar centre and checking out some of the amps with my ESP before i try to find one to buy?? cos there's no use finding an amp that looks gud then finding that its not exactly what i wanted
Quote by shredftw

do u think it would be worth going to a guitar centre and checking out some of the amps with my ESP before i try to find one to buy?? cos there's no use finding an amp that looks gud then finding that its not exactly what i wanted

YES, by all means go out and try out everything you can.

By the way, the JSX is Joe Satriani's version of the XXX. Somewhat different, some like it more, some don't.

Also Peavey discontinued the XXX, but came out with the 3120 which is the same but runs EL34 tubes instead of 6L6 tubes. So when you go to GC look for the 3120 to try.

Plus every other amp there.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by stykerwolf
Bear in mind that tone mostly comes from an amp, all i'm saying is that a Gibson Ultima would sound crap through a Line6 Spider, but a 200 buck Ibanez would still sound awesome though a Marshall Plexi...

Not necessarily. A great amp brings out the character of the guitar, not just makes any guitar sound great. Next time you're at a GC, take a well built guitar, like a higher end LP or a nice Gretsch and plug into a JCM800, Mesa Stilletto, or maybe one of those Hendrix stacks. Then plug a low end Squier or Epiphone into the same amp. You'll see a world of difference. Yes, a great amp will make a not so great guitar sound better, but there is in fact a limit.
Quote by shredftw

This holds true for all musical equipment you are looking to purchase. If you are lucky enough to have a big shop around carrying decent inventory, than by all means test it out and make sure it's for you.
The XXX is nice, but to keep your options open also look into the Carvin Legacy, the Mesa rectoverb which is basically a rectifier combo (VERY versatile), a JCM 2000 combo, or a JCM 800 combo (although I'm not sure as to the pricing). Also, the Hughes & Kettner Triamp MK1 could be vaugely in your price range if i remember correctly, so is the Soldano Hot Rod 50 and Blackstar S1 100.
Gear:
Fender American Strat
Washburn Idol
Pitchblack > Cst OD > M5 > Flashback Tripple Delay > SIZE=1]Whirly Verb
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
Marshall 1960AV
Quote by guitarted
Not necessarily. A great amp brings out the character of the guitar, not just makes any guitar sound great. Next time you're at a GC, take a well built guitar, like a higher end LP or a nice Gretsch and plug into a JCM800, Mesa Stilletto, or maybe one of those Hendrix stacks. Then plug a low end Squier or Epiphone into the same amp. You'll see a world of difference. Yes, a great amp will make a not so great guitar sound better, but there is in fact a limit.

Ofcourse i exaggerated, but most of the tone comes from the amp since there is no good tone that comes out of a Gibson LP pluged into an MG or a Frontman or a Spider...