Poll Options
View poll results: Fender or Marshall?
Fender
48 37%
Marshall
81 63%
Voters: 129.
Page 1 of 3
Well, my birthday is coming up, and I'm looking to get a new amp soon. Can't decide between Fender or Marshall. I play blues/rock and I'm looking to get a Joe Walsh/James Gang type of sound. I know he loves Fender amps, but on his last two tours, he's been using Marshalls. If I get a Fender, I'm looking to buy either a Twin Reverb or Super Reverb, and if I get a Marshall, it's probably gonna be a JCM 800 2203. I'm also forming a band, so I'm looking for something I can gig with in bars.
completely different amps.
Marshall's are british voiced and the Fender is American voiced.

and Joe Walsh uses Hiwatts
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
What else are you going to play? What other music, not amps. Although I do recommend broadening your search beyond fender and marshall.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

Dear sir, I'm a ****ing British Marshall and It's tea time.

I ARE BILLY MAYS A AMERICAN TUBE NO MORE WINY BITCHY BRITISH WHEN YOU CAN GET A FENDER FOR THE PRICE OF CHEAPEST

back to the thread. Dunno try them out?
鋼の錬金術師
i hate Marshall Amps with a passion!!!

FENDER ALL THE WAY!!!!

fender= tone
MY GEAR:

Ibanez S470
Vintage: VRS100
Fender FM100R 100WATT
Marshall: MG30DFX 30WATT
Digitech: RP350
Boss: DS-1
Jim Dunlop: Original Crybaby
Crafter: FX-550EQ
Orange: Mini- Krush

Add My Profile
^wat

^^ wat

^^^ wat.....

feel free to add me
marshall just go to there site and they have ppl from slash to kerry king to tom morrello to jimi hendrix that all swear by there amps
"Remember folks, it's all bull****. It's all bull**** and it's bad for ya." ~ George Carlin.
RIP
"The last real man in showbiz"
Quote by HowYaDoin
Joe uses everything...

Budget? Location? gear you have?

Or this is just useless and really not helpful.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
howbout a traynor?
I dont know exactly what you're looking for but they do tend to have cleans similar to a fender and british voiced crunch like a marshall.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
personally i would go with a marshall just due to the fact that they have a much more wide range of music styles

Also Guitarkp,

i noticed you hate marshall's,but on your gear list it says you have a MG30DFX
My opinion on the matter is: If you want a Marshall, get yourself an Orange. As for the Fender, most of their models are pretty solid, so you can't really go wrong with them. Just try both amp brands out, and then decide what YOU like better, with regards to your idol's tone, of course!
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
Quote by MetalGuitarest
personally i would go with a marshall just due to the fact that they have a much more wide range of music styles

Also Guitarkp,

i noticed you hate marshall's,but on your gear list it says you have a MG30DFX

Pwned

and he says that Fender = Tone but he has a frontman.........

and to TS, answer Greg's questions
feel free to add me
We need a little more info, bud, if we're going to answer your question. Like WTF!! said, they are completely different, like coke and pepsi. Just because Joe Walsh likes Pepsi doesn't necessarily mean its going to be your style. With more detailed information on a wider variety of bands, genres, and tones you're looking for we can point you in the right direction as to which amps to try out, but in the end you have to play them for yourself. Besides, how could you come down to a Fender reverb and a JCM 800, anyway? They're like fire and ice.
Gear:
Fender American Strat
Washburn Idol
Pitchblack > Cst OD > M5 > Flashback Tripple Delay > SIZE=1]Whirly Verb
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
Marshall 1960AV
Quote by gregs1020
Budget? Location? gear you have?

Or this is just useless and really not helpful.

Budget : $2000

Location: My bedroom, but will be using this amp in bars with my band

Gear: Les Paul Standard, Eric Clapton Strat, Rickenbacker (used for slide), various boss pedals, TS-9 Tubescreamer, Heil talkbox, Roland 60 Cube, and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (which I'm going to sell for my new amp)
^can you go used???
and location means what state/city/country
feel free to add me
Forgot location. nearest major metropolis?

Seriously, it makes a difference.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
With a budget of 2k you definitely have a lot of options. If you play classic rock, blues, cleans, and not so much metal, then go play on some Oranges (rocker 30), Marshall Plexis, or even Mesas. With a budget like that, going used, you really can't go wrong.
Gear:
Fender American Strat
Washburn Idol
Pitchblack > Cst OD > M5 > Flashback Tripple Delay > SIZE=1]Whirly Verb
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
Marshall 1960AV
Last edited by Mr. Kyle at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

Are you sure? I thought he used bassmans and reverbs.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Wow, the first page of this thread is full of fail. With exception of Alfie and greg and others. But yeah, like already said, Marshall and Fender are two completely different ampbrands. They don't sound alike. Think about what kind of sound you want more, than you can decide or be better advised.
Quote by Morello is god
marshall just go to there site and they have ppl from slash to kerry king to tom morrello to jimi hendrix that all swear by there amps

Oh, then they must be amazing...

I'd recommend looking into Orange, Laney and Vox, too, before making a final decision.

Roughly:
Marshall = Rock/Metal/Thrash
Orange = Blues/Rock/Metal
Laney = Metal/Thrash
Vox = Blues/Country/Rock/Queen
Fender = Blues/Country/Rock

Of course, that's a very general perspective judging by what those amps are used for most often. What I always aim for in an amp is: Great cleans, warm/nice break-up. It doesn't matter to me if they amp doesn't get into shred/thrash metal territory by itself, because I can boost it. If it can't get clean, however, it doesn't suit me at all.

I suggest narrowing down to about 4 different choices judging by specifications and online demos/reviews, and then going out and trying them. Reliability and versatility (+tone) are more important than anything else.

Don't narrow yourself down to what your favourite guitarists use. My favourite guitarist is David Gilmour, but I use a Jackson and I'm saving for a Peavey (or something similar) because those are what suit me and my style.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Marshall Bluesbreaker. It'll be the last amp you buy.
Perfect for you.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
When your budget is around 2,000, 2450 USD after selling your hot rod, you have a lot more options than Marshall and Fender. Idk what to suggest, but you can get a used bogner on eBay for that much.
Gear :

Ibanez RG2570 (has yet to post pics)
Crap Wal-Mart guitar that came in a 70 buck starters pack.
Marshall MG15, I know
Quote by jaffawoman

I'd recommend looking into Orange, Laney and Vox, too, before making a final decision.

Roughly:
Laney = Metal/Thrash

Of course, that's a very general perspective judging by what those amps are used for most often. What I always aim for in an amp is: Great cleans, warm/nice break-up. It doesn't matter to me if they amp doesn't get into shred/thrash metal territory by itself, because I can boost it. If it can't get clean, however, it doesn't suit me at all.

I suggest narrowing down to about 4 different choices judging by specifications and online demos/reviews, and then going out and trying them. Reliability and versatility (+tone) are more important than anything else.

Don't narrow yourself down to what your favourite guitarists use. My favourite guitarist is David Gilmour, but I use a Jackson and I'm saving for a Peavey (or something similar) because those are what suit me and my style.

you don't need to listen to anything else other than this.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by fishermanbob
When your budget is around 2,000, 2450 USD after selling your hot rod, you have a lot more options than Marshall and Fender. Idk what to suggest, but you can get a used bogner on eBay for that much.

Actually, WITH the amp sold (and a few other things) my budget is $2000 (maybe a little less)
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Pwned

and he says that Fender = Tone but he has a frontman.........

and to TS, answer Greg's questions

what are you talking about a frontman is one of the best ss amps you can get, marshalls are so overated. yeah jimi hendrix and slash use em' but im not jimi hendrix or slash. although marshalls are great amps unless you need extreame cruch go with a fender. after all they are the soul of tone, and btw fender has a great line up of players too.
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
^ i dont care about the players playing them, i only care about the tone.....
and the FM is decent
feel free to add me
when it comes to there solid state lin-up fender deffinatly owns marshall there. in the tube game there pretty damn even across the board.
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by travs2448
when it comes to there solid state lin-up fender deffinatly owns marshall there. in the tube game there pretty damn even across the board.

Having never played an MG, I can't comment, but I used to own a Cyber Twin SE and thought it was absolutely awful.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Having never played an MG, I can't comment, but I used to own a Cyber Twin SE and thought it was absolutely awful.

I see you have a Marshall JCM 800...what do you think of it?
Quote by jaffawoman

Roughly:
Laney = Metal/Thrash

I'm sorry, this is just crap. Laney makes plenty of amps that do blues and rock superbly, fender has a few amp that do metal quite well (ever heard of the evh 5150 III?), and marshalls are used for blues all the time. You can't box a brand into a corner as far as genres go, it just never works.

Not a bad idea, but I thoroughly disagree with the bolded statement. Those things might be important to you, but they aren't important to everyone. Reliability you could almost keep on there, although I'm usually not too worried about it. Versatility is the last thing on my mind though.

Good advice here as well.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Page 1 of 3