Page 1 of 3
OK here's a fun idea. Every instrument forum has certain things that the majority of the forum love or hates, and also probably a stereotypical user (eg, TBers love muffs and are old and rich and have way more gear than they should)

What would the stereotypical UG Basser be like?

Here's what I think:
Musical tastes: Rock, metal, probably some funk
Basses: Squier VM 70's Jazz
Amp: Acoustic B200
Effects: Digitech Chorus, Snarling Dogs Bootzilla Wah (I can't decide what fuzz/OD/distortion pedal they'd use, but maybe a MXR Blowtorch)
Average money spent on gear per year: $150
Influences: The 3 Js, Jaco, Geddy (let me think of some others)
Dislikes: THUNDERBIRDS!!!!!!!, guitards wandering into here from the main page thinking they're in the guitar board, ANYTHING Behringer, thinks Flea, Cliff, and probably Les are overrated (but worships Primus anyway)

Let the self parody begin!
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Last edited by kugelspot at Jul 6, 2009,
You just summed up what I was gonna say right there.

Edit: To Kugelspot.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Average age a bit higher, and I'm not sure on current exchange rates, but I'm fairly certain I spend more than $150 on equipment every month.

I don't mind when the guitards wander in mistakenly, It just really gets my goat when they deliberately come in because they think they know everything better than we do, and they can help us out with our problems.

Example.
Forumer - Can anyone recommend a good fuzz pedal?
Guitard - I think you should let your guitarist worry about the effects, they don't sound good with bass.

Forumer - I'm looking for a new amp, any suggestions?
Guitard - Line six are good.
There are quite a few older people as well in the forum.

Also need height to be taken into account. Either 6'2"- 6'7" (me and fitzy topping it off as far as I know) for less than 5'6".
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
VM Jazz and an Ashdown (any model really) would be the typical setup for most people from when I used to be on here more often.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
I wouldnt mind a T-Bird. Im a cheapskate so dont spend that much on gear. Would prefer an MIM over a VM. Only 6'1". Want EBS pedals not digitech. I cant fit in your group kugel, you have singled me out, you bastard.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
i dunno, this whole site seems to be some sort of strange metal worshipping glory hole. oh and it seems everyone loves the warwicks.
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
Quote by fatgoogle
I wouldnt mind a T-Bird. Im a cheapskate so dont spend that much on gear. Would prefer an MIM over a VM. Only 6'1". Want EBS pedals not digitech. I cant fit in your group kugel, you have singled me out, you bastard.

I feel short, I'm only 5'7".

I'd prefer an MIM over a VM too if I'm honest and from what I've seen and heard of digitech stuff I'm not too impressed.

But over Fender I prefer EBMM
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Quote by Rywad

I'd prefer an MIM over a VM too if I'm honest and from what I've seen and heard of digitech stuff I'm not too impressed.

I would to but as long as leo's helped make it i dont mind, fender, Stingray's laklands and G&L all float my boat.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I think after the VM Jazz, the UG Basser is getting either an Ibanez SR505 or a Schecter Stiletto Elite-5
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by Rywad

So that makes me a foot taller than you.

I'm not fond of Digitechs stuff either. Everything I've tried has been good. It just has never wowed me. Strangely, the stuff I have ordered without trying in person has, will half (one) of the pedals I have got in a shop has been relegated from my board.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
So that makes me a foot taller than you.

I'm not fond of Digitechs stuff either. Everything I've tried has been good. It just has never wowed me. Strangely, the stuff I have ordered without trying in person has, will half (one) of the pedals I have got in a shop has been relegated from my board.

A foot?! If I ever see someone that's huge compared to me around town I'll just be like "Jack?!?". I never really liked Digitech after trying a few pedals and just feeling that I could have saved my money and bought a better one a few months later. But some of their stuff is alright.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

This is what we are.
We think:
-Fitz is a Godsend
-Secretly unsatisfied with our current bass
-We want Warwicks
-If we had the money, we would most definitely buy a t-bird and mod it just because
-At least one Fender is a must, even if we say we hate them
-Schecter doesn't just do metal, but I want to attempt to point out a massive tonal flaw
-As overrated as we say Flea is, we want to be him
-As overrated as we say Cliff Burton is, we want a Big Muff and Morley wah

What we are:
-Either really short or really tall
-Always look different in in some way from the other band (fat, beard, bald, whatever)
-We have the most stage presence, but no one sees us
-We always have a larger genitalia than our guitards. Unless you're Tam. Well I hope not.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Cody_Grey102
This is what we are.
We think:
-Fitz is a Godsend
-We want Warwicks
-If we had the money, we would most definitely buy a t-bird and mod it just because
-Schecter doesn't just do metal, but I want to attempt to point out a massive tonal flaw

What we are:
-Always look different in in some way from the other band (fat, beard, bald, whatever)
-We always have a larger genitalia than our guitards. Unless you're Tam. Well I hope not.

My response.

-Dunno
-Yes
-Yes
-Yes
-Yes
-Dunno
-Yes
-Yes

-Yes
-Only guy with long hair, so yes
-Yes
-No
Every bass forumer is special in his or her own way
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Cody_Grey102
This is what we are.
We think:
-Fitz is a Godsend
-We want Warwicks

What we are:

Point by point comment:

- He isn't.
- I'm not
- yeah... we know my answer to that
- nope.
- couldn't give a monkey's about schechter to be honest. I've played much better basses.
- again... nope
- refer to the above

- 6 foot is average I'd say... so nope, neither of them.
- everyone looks different from each other... but I wouldn't say I stand out visually from my band mates.
- I'll find out on Saturday.
- And my genitals are bigger than everyone here, too.
Quote by ScottB.
Every bass forumer is special in his or her own way

Pfft, kiss ass.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
Pfft, kiss ass.

Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Cody_Grey102
This is what we are.
We think:
-Fitz is a Godsend
-We want Warwicks

What we are:

-a forum member nothing more or less
-I suffer from perpetual Guitar acquisition syndrome
-Nope
-maybe
-I don't own a Fender, but want a Precision some day.
-Schecter don't do it for the tamster
-Don't like Flea. Sorry
-I'll take the wah, leave the rest
-OK I'm really short.
-I'm a chick, its hard not to when you play with guys
-Oh...I stand out and get noticed. Maybe because I'm a girl?
-lmao.
Quote by kugelspot
OK here's a fun idea. Every instrument forum has certain things that the majority of the forum love or hates, and also probably a stereotypical user (eg, TBers love muffs and are old and rich and have way more gear than they should)

Here's what I think:
Effects: Digitech Chorus, Snarling Dogs Bootzilla Wah (I can't decide what fuzz/OD/distortion pedal they'd use, but maybe a MXR Blowtorch)
Dislikes: THUNDERBIRDS!!!!!!!, guitards wandering into here from the main page thinking they're in the guitar board, ANYTHING Behringer, thinks Flea, Cliff, and probably Les are overrated (but worships Primus anyway)

apart from age, your completely wrong
Quote by Cody_Grey102

-Fitz is a Godsend

Quote by guitarhero_764

Quote by Cody_Grey102
This is what we are.
We think:
-Bumper is a Godsend
-We want Warwicks

What we are:

Fixed to make it true.
Quote by Rywad
VM Jazz and an Ashdown (any model really) would be the typical setup for most people from when I used to be on here more often.

Oh forgot about Ashdown. Ya, probably more true than Acoustic

Quote by Casketcreep
Average age a bit higher, and I'm not sure on current exchange rates, but I'm fairly certain I spend more than $150 on equipment every month.

OK, average may be a bit higher because we have people like John Swift and Tam on here. I'd probably be right if it were the median age. The $150 was a bit of hyperbole. It's probably more like $300 or so. Still nothing compared to TBers budgets.

Quote by Cody_Grey102
This is what we are.
We think:
-Fitz is a Godsend
-We want Warwicks

What we are:

OK Cody wins. Everything he said is spot on, other that the Schecter thing and the Muff.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Last edited by kugelspot at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by Cody_Grey102
This is what we are.
We think:
-Fitz is a Godsend
-We want Warwicks

What we are:

-no comment
-no
-yes
-too cheap, even if I had the money
-no
-don't know
-I like me just fine
-can't say I like him much anymore

-Yeah, I'm apparently shorter than Anarkee :P
-yes, 'cause of the height
-nope, my stage presence is me standing and scowling (habitual, can't help it )
-er, no comment?

I have to say though, that [does] seem to be right in most aspects. I'm not a Fender hater, I just don't like them, and I'm too cheap to merely "own one"

edit: I've spent around $800CAD the past two or three years, and before that about $300, average as you will
Last edited by Canadian_basser at Jul 6, 2009,
And an added point.

-As much as I love them, Ben and Tam always find a way to kill my happiness. Killjoys. And Canadians always bothered me. No offense. Bad experience in my childhood.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Last edited by Cody_Grey102 at Jul 6, 2009,
So, I've never played a warwick. What's so cool about them? Do I just have to try one out to feel the awesomeness, or what?
Quote by Halakar
So, I've never played a warwick. What's so cool about them? Do I just have to try one out to feel the awesomeness, or what?

You have to try one. They aren't everyone's cup of tea though. As with everything, it's personal choice. I found my bass through Warwick, and I don't see myself playing anything else unless I got a good deal on a Marcus Miller Jazz V (or they make a 24 fret version) or a Zon Hyperbass.
Quote by gm jack
There are quite a few older people as well in the forum.

Also need height to be taken into account. Either 6'2"- 6'7" (me and fitzy topping it off as far as I know) for less than 5'6".

Well I'm 6'4'' so does that count(I know I can never measure up to our own canadian man mountian but oh well)?
Ive had my fun,

and thats all that matters.

Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by DonWeaso
Wow. Pretty much just described me, I feel great.

Oh ya here's some more stuff we should add to the gear list:

Squier Affinity Series P Bass
Ampeg B-115 Cabinet
Fender Rumble 15 Combo
Dunlop Crybaby 105Q Bass Wah Pedal

Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by kugelspot
Oh ya here's some more stuff we should add to the gear list:

Squier Affinity Series P Bass
Ampeg B-115 Cabinet
Fender Rumble 15 Combo
Dunlop Crybaby 105Q Bass Wah Pedal

Dang it. Haha.

It's so true though...I'm the stereotypical UG bassist. I have the gear. The "age". The height...

FML
Quote by DonWeaso
FML

Not really. Most of us fit at least 1 catagory perfectly. I fit age, musical taste, and dislikes almost perfectly. And 1 of us is bound to fit it almost exactly.

Plus, it means you have good taste!
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by Cody_Grey102
This is what we are.
We think:
-Fitz is a Godsend
-We want Warwicks

What we are:

hmm interesting...

- I've had the odd run in with fitzy but nothing to suggest he is anything more than a guy with an opinion and a penchant for bargain hunting.
- I love my gear. My jazz through my hartke provides my tone just how I like it
- No, I don't. A corvette would be nice but I'd rarely find a use for it.
- That's on my to do list. But being the classy guy that I am, I'm going to start with a tokai not an epiphone.
- I have never said I hate fender and I never will. My main bass has been a Jazz bass for 4 years now and before that it was a P bass.
- I sold my schecter stiletto because I was unhappy with the range of tones I had from it. Because of the 2 band EQ and tendancy towards metal that schecter has, every tone I had sounded scooped.
- I have no desire to ever be flea or to ever be in a band with a singer who can't break an octave. Nor do I have any desire to use Gallien Krugers amps, put stickers on Vintage 60s jazz basses, have tantrums because EBMM won't give me a sig bass, make overpriced starter instruments or have very poor playing technique.
- No, just no. The big muff is everything that is wrong with bass tones. Although Morley BASS wahs are quite nice.

- I'm 5'8", I believe that puts me somewhere in the middle
- I have a beard, and i have a thing for hats and coats so as you can guess I can start to look very theatrical very quickly.
- I really couldn't care less who sees me and who doesn't. My presence comes from my enjoyment of playing
- I wouldn't know about that having not looked at the genitalia of the rest of my band.

You know I find it quite funny that none of the mods present or past fall into this stereotype
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by kugelspot

Here's what I think:

19, nop
hate funk
nop
yes, shhh.
no, no, no, I cannot stand Chorus and I cannot stand Wah (I have a Bass Big Muff though)
I don't know how much I spend
kinda, not really
I've never used a TBird, I do dislike guitards and behringer and I dislike flea/cliff/les, but I do not like Primus, I think they are boring

Quote by Cody_Grey102
This is what we are.
We think:
-Fitz is a Godsend
-We want Warwicks

What we are:

no but I love the blog thing
it isn't a secret that I'm unsatisfied
I do
no, I don't want one
no, I destroyed my last Fender/Squire and I do not want another, I hate the bodies and I cannot stand the sounds of them
not much of comment
no, I don't like Flea
no, I don't like Cliff and I hate wah

nah, I'm average-ish 5'9"
nah, we all wear T-shirts and jeans
only been on stage once and it was guest vocals
I don't know what their genitalia look like
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Page 1 of 3